• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New Postal Powertrain Plan - turbo/manifold & HP Tuners JTEC support or Megasquirt

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I just came across this. If you are building a stroker, plus an aftermarket head, plus the turbo set up, at that point financially it just makes more sense for a V8 of some sort. But a turbo on a stock ish 4.0L, now that would be cool to see. Maybe I missed it, when do you plan on diving into it?

Financial schmamancial. The idea is to keep it Jeep. I’m saying not to bother with the stroker and do the turbo on a good 4.0. The edelbrock head would be a nice-to-have for the flow.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I just came across this. If you are building a stroker, plus an aftermarket head, plus the turbo set up, at that point financially it just makes more sense for a V8 of some sort. But a turbo on a stock ish 4.0L, now that would be cool to see. Maybe I missed it, when do you plan on diving into it?

If you are building a 4.0 at all, it is very likely a V-8 swap would be =<.

But, that’s not really the point here. I see it as being unique, contrarian, and swimming upstream. I dig it!

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
If you are building a 4.0 at all, it is very likely a V-8 swap would be =<.

But, that’s not really the point here. I see it as being unique, contrarian, and swimming upstream. I dig it!

the other point; is lots of us already have a solid 4.0 in our rig; this has potential to be a solid, unique upgrade instead of an entire swap.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
the other point; is lots of us already have a solid 4.0 in our rig; this has potential to be a solid, unique upgrade instead of an entire swap.

And this right here. This is why I shared this now with no intention of doing it myself in the near term.

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
You can only run 9psi boost on a stock 4.0L. At 10-12psi you stretch head bolts. While I like the added power 9psi get you it’s only around 2500 rpm and up. I have done it and wouldn’t do it again even for the sake of being different or staying Jeep.

The best way to do it would be to stroke it to at least 4.7 maybe even 5.0 then boost that way you get more power idle to 2500. Still you run into breathing issues on the 4.0L heads.

I am glad more options are being made for the 4.0L. Maybe they can change my mind.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
You can only run 9psi boost on a stock 4.0L. At 10-12psi you stretch head bolts. While I like the added power 9psi get you it’s only around 2500 rpm and up. I have done it and wouldn’t do it again even for the sake of being different or staying Jeep.

The best way to do it would be to stroke it to at least 4.7 maybe even 5.0 then boost that way you get more power idle to 2500. Still you run into breathing issues on the 4.0L heads.

I am glad more options are being made for the 4.0L. Maybe they can change my mind.
What’s 9 psi on a stock 4.0 good for?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI

Not looking to go that high on boost and I’m 100% fine with the power being up higher because the 4.0 does fine for everything up to highway driving and towing at higher speeds. I am not looking to do this at all for off road/crawling, I’ve never come up lacking power there since the 4.0 swap.

Also, when you did it, how did you tune it? Having the full potential of HP Tuners to go nuts with optimization is really interesting and I have to think it would be able to improve on any previous solution :shrug:

WestfieldMX5

City
Belgium
State
BE
There's also a comment on the Boostwerks manifold post that Megasquirt is planning to develop their standalone EFI controller specifically for the Jeep 4.0L. THAT is another fascinating possibility.

This is very exciting!

I have been wanting to do a megasquirt controller, but never like the fact the microsquirt did not have enough channels to be sequential efi and you would need to run batch fire. The next option was to build a megasquirt, but that did not seem great for a 4x4. Then to get the sealed megasquirt computer you had to go with the double throwdown race setup. Just not good options, but a dedicated 4.0 computer would be awesome!

I came across this post while doing a search on Google and thought I'd chime in.
I made that comment on Boostwerks post about the Megasquirt. This is not a product that Megasquirt themselves are developing. It is something I have developed for my own Jeep. I had a batch of 5 boards made and have some info on my site.
I have since removed that comment on Boostwerks post because I didn't want to clutter their post.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Not me...too many computers to relocate and make happy. I’d take one of those in a JL

Exactly this. It was enough of a pill to swallow to move the 4.0L OBDII computer over into my CJ, I can't fathom dealing with anything newer.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I came across this post while doing a search on Google and thought I'd chime in.
I made that comment on Boostwerks post about the Megasquirt. This is not a product that Megasquirt themselves are developing. It is something I have developed for my own Jeep. I had a batch of 5 boards made and have some info on my site.
I have since removed that comment on Boostwerks post because I didn't want to clutter their post.

Thanks for that clarification. Very cool work.