• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Oriental Red Original Paint refresh with NOS

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
This is more of a freshening up and cleaning of my 82 Oriental Red Original Paint Scrambler.

The 82 as purchased.... is extremely nice it really doesn't need much ...but I am a perfectionist.
IMO the only way to improve it's appearance is with NOS parts....so going to use some rare stuff up. I'm going to list price range of parts used...so I can sorta keep up with how much I spent on this Jeep.

I like my Jeeps to be accessorized and plan on adding a clock & tach, Warn Jeep SE 8274 with brushguard and the rear bumper. I may swap out the T4 with a T5 if I decide to regear the axles. May also ask for courage to install (drill :fingerscrossed:) a Whitco 1/2 soft top and tonneau cover.

I built the 83 modified before digital camera and seems like everyone has a build thread lately.
I detailed my 84 CJ-7 and know the hours spent on polishing and cleaning every part of Jeep, also to poliish & detail properly it must mostly come apart.

I know I like seeing peeps pictures .... and hope everyone enjoys the following.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Road trip and family vacation to pick up Scrambler in AR.

photo1222-1.jpg

Daughter and I driving around Superlift Hot Springs park. Scrambler ran great and Street tires did great even though it rained that morning.

photo2021-1.jpg

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
:popcorn: :drool: :popcorn:

That's me drooling in my popcorn over this thread ;)

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Black duck dog taking last ride for long while

Dug out the 83 and swapped garage places and took my dog Ranger for ride in both Scramblers.

He needs a AMC Scrambler bed mat so doesn't slide around in bed. :fingerscrossed::cheers:

The bed seam sealer is dry and cracking in a few places. Otherwise the bed area has the perfect patina ... no dents. Should polish and wax beautiful.
Notice all the factory installed plugs for the rear seat.
I'm trying to figure out how to make some Oriental Red colored seam sealer.
That sure would beat having to paint with artist brush.
I may take a small lock pick and dig out all the cracked sealer...still haven't decided.

photo476-1.jpg

photo443-1.jpg

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Stripping

All the nuts came off fender flares and aluminum rocker panels. Glad to see dry as toast NO rust.

Drivers side, notice small paint loss just below door hinge, no rust, looks like pressure washer took paint off. Really the only flaw of entire Jeep.

photo1031-1.jpg

photo1135-1.jpg

photo1627-1.jpg

photo2135-1.jpg

Passenger side is just as nice

photo1781-1.jpg

All the dirt stains should buff right off. :fingerscrossed:

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Interior

Renegade dash bezel was coming loose & radio ... so there goes the whole interior OUT.

I've got NOS 81-82 non-moving vent window specific dash pad and AM/FM and correct speakers. Also plan on NOS Volt & Oil guages and maybe cluster.

Gave the dash pad with small slit to Will Texas for his Laredo.

photo1929-1.jpg

Interior was dirty and I know how it will look with polishing & waxing....so pulled all that also.
All the seatbelt torx bolts came out with no issues !

First time the seats had ever been pulled.

Only found a Quarter, dime and 2 penny's.

Hardtop off.

photo2111-1.jpg

photo1839-1.jpg

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Beautiful Jeep. Question: didn't see Scrambler emblems. Did some come without them? I have same striping on mine but am concerned about placement. Do they go over stripes or in front?

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Beautiful Jeep. Question: didn't see Scrambler emblems. Did some come without them? I have same striping on mine but am concerned about placement. Do they go over stripes or in front?

It is my understanding that Scramblers with the stripe kits did not have the "Scrambler" emblems on the rear quarters. It would be redundant to say "Scrambler" on the hood and on the rear quarter. Only base model CJ-8's had the "Scrambler" emblems. I'm sure Red Mistress will correct me if I'm mistaken.

Will_Texas

Legacy Registered User
City
Longview
State
TX
I've seen this one in person. It glows. I'm not kidding, if you turn off all the lights it puts off its own. Its so clean and well kept, truly a testament of what a life in a garage does for a scrambler. I can't wait to see it when its finished, you guys can go ahead and be jealous that I live close enough to go see it completed before any of the rest of you do. :crazy::wave:

Also, I'm extremely jealous of all(or mostly) NOS parts for a refresh. All the nos stuff is so much better quality than the reproduction. Reproduction seals, gauges, flares, tops... None of it works as well as the original. All cheap junk, some of it looks absolutely nothing like what it's supposed to. If you want the best for a restoration, you just have to get NOS. Its expensive, but it's the only way if you want the best.

The red paint is awesome, you just don't see nice original red paint and decals like that. I can't wait to see it again... Its been a few days:evil:

Will_Texas

Legacy Registered User
City
Longview
State
TX
Oh, thanks for the dash pad also. I'm saving it for when I do the interior on mine:cheers:

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Working

Thanks for the compliments..... helps keep energy up towards project.

Will Texas ....thanks for the labor building deer stand & helping on the Scrambler.
Need to get U a t-shirt that says "will work for Jeep parts" :cheers:

Don't find Red org paint as sun takes toll and fades fast.
Red, Black & Blue CJ's were bought by younger peeps and driven into ground...and low mile well kept "sporty colors" are harder to find.
I really like the Oriental Red, the Colorado Red on my 87J20 was my favorite subdued Red shade, but the Oriental is not real bright and shiney like Sebring Red.
I really didn't need another Jeep CJ when this one came up....but now wife is over it. Keeping the 82 Oriental means all the rear farm implement PTO stuff for Willys PU I wanted to build may be sold/traded. Or I need to build more shop.

Got lots of work done this weekend between shuffling kids to birthday parties.

Been meaning to get the Dent Magic guy (paintless dent repair) out for few years...and he spent 9 hours this Sunday taking small dents out of Jeeps and one dent on Excursion. Those guys can do incredible repairs that can't tell there was ever a ding.

Biggest thing was finally getting the off old glue left from dash applique.

Then polished the stains off dash and put 6 coats of wax on dash.
The 3" random orbital buffer with foam pad's works great...way more stokes than could ever do by hand.

Then broke out the hole saw for clock and tach holes.
Important to use a drill with slow speed and a "clutch" where if the hole saw binds, it won't twist metal all up.
Thought I'd take pics of locations and two size's of hole saws.

photo1372-1.jpg

photo895-1.jpg

photo1697-1.jpg

photo552-1.jpg

Plan to get windshield glass out and see how it looks and POR15 the Clock / Tach bare metal holes.
Going to spend more time cleaning underneath the dash and then time to put interior back together with NOS parts.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
What type of aftermarket suspension is on the Jeep? I noticed the yellow sticker on the leaf springs, yellow shocks, shiney u-bolts, and red poly bushings on the spring main eyes? Just curious because it looks stock height, looks good:thumbsup:

Gary R

Legacy Registered User
City
Arlington
State
TX
Were the original 'build sheets' from the factory, in the bottom of the passenger seat?

VERY nice Scrambler!

Oh, and in one pic, it appears you sacrificed the orange and black screwdriver prying on something :D

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Scrambler

The springs are 1" Skyjacker soft ride... with Monroe shocks. I hope I can run 31x10.50x15 BFG All Terrains with them and fronts hold weight of 8274 and brushguard and still be level stance.

Which reminds me...I have some NOS Jeep Special Equipment "Trail Tamer" shocks made by Monroe. They're just Monroe's with Jeep SE decals.

Orange screwdriver was custom bent long time ago :D Was using it to scrape dirt off the nuts for rocker panels....so socket would fit correctly.

This is my first experience with the shift knobs that have shiney inserts.
I've got a NOS T-5 tranny and knob with black/white 5 speed pattern.

photo679-1.jpg

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Where did you measure from as far as where to drill the holes for the tack and clock? Did you just put it in the middle and drill? Doubtful. I want to add tach and clock to the postal. It would drive me nuts to look at them if the holes were off though. I believe the clock goes on the right side in the RHD vehicles.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I use a flat template I made from another dash that was garbage, which had factory tach and clock. I line it up with the heater cable holes and the dash pad screw holes and then trace the holes...then I cut the hole slightly smaller because the hole saw will walk a bit, and then dremel with small grinding drum on it to work out to the trace line where necessarry. You can also cut the little notch of each hole with the dremel using a cutting wheel attachment.

As far as the shiney shift pattern, I think thats just what remains after the top part pops off, the pattern is embossed in the aluminum below :D

And on the RHD Overlander, my clock is on the right, as you say. Also another fact, interestingly, all Overlanders had tach and clock standard.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Clock & Tach

I had never seen the silver faced knobs...good to know that's a remant of face button, I have the T4 & T5 knobs but was thinking I don't have silver faced.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The tracing method would not give you center of hole which is most important for hole saw drill bit.

The 2 hole saw's that I used wrote the size on have allowance for wobble, but if low speed drill is used wobble is reduced.

Jeep referenced the headlight & windshield wiper switch holes for vertical axis and the middle of first pull cable below the fan speed as the horizontal axis.

I pictured the orange plastic framing square. (used plastic one so not so scratch dash)
5 3/8" from bottom of dash is horizontal measurement.
Pic explains the exact spot for drill bit.

Take it slow with several breaks so don't heat up metal, use slow speed and drill with a clutch and adding clock & tach is no sweat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ordered some 3M adhesive primer / promoter and it came in so going to figure out good way to stick on the dash applique...referencing the radio & instrument cluster.

Probably need to install the cluster first.

Joe West

Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
Lifetime Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
These are my favorite type of restorations. Please upload as many pictures as you can.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Powdercoat

Loaded up spare tire carrier and brackets and the NOS Brushguard with Warn 8274 Center....

and dropped them off at powdercoater.

Here's a poser shot of the brushguard hanging from 83 Sebring modified rear bumper.
Gosh I sure hope I don't get carried away... Someone knock me in head IF I start modifying 82 Oriental.

photo1023-1.jpg

Going to do some more polishing after work, ran out of Groits Garage machine polish #1 and more just came in.