• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Pickup, Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer officially confirmed by FCA

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
...along with an announcement of a $1 billion investment in US factories.

No photos or anything like that, but it's official word direct from FCA on all three coming to the Jeep lineup as opposed to the leaks and outright crap clickbait stories that have been all over the place.

http://jpfreek.com/2017/01/08/jeep-wagoneer-grand-wagoneer-pickup-confirmed/

I was NOT going to use any of the typical images that people try, like the photochop Grand Wagoneer that's been around forever or using an AEV Brute or the Crew Chief concept with no comment that it wasn't the actual pickup, so I came up with this with thanks to our friend Jake White for the photo of the sweet Wagoneer:

Jeep Waggy-Pickup-Grand Waggy comback meme_watermark.jpg

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Good news! Sounds like they are possibly going to make the Wagoneer and GW on a truck frame like it should be!!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Not sure if I read that much into things at this point, but hard to think that these additions could be a bad thing for Jeep.

To be completely honest, the look of new Compass that is going to replace the current Compass and Patriot this spring is somewhat encouraging. Sort of looks like a mini Grand Cherokee and a heck of a lot better than the current Compass (and even better than the new Cherokee.) So I'm somewhat encouraged about the possibilities for the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer. A proper frame would be awesome, but I'm not sure that's going to happen.

I'm one that actually likes the Renegade though...

The JL looks pretty much like the JK from what we've seen and I expect the truck will look pretty much like we'd expect, a JL front with some flavor of basic truck bed. I don't think there will be any huge surprises there. I'd love to be wrong and be wowed.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I'm only hoping the GW would have a truck frame due to it being built in the same plant as RAM trucks..."With the $1 billion investment, FCA US will retool and modernize the Warren Truck Assembly Plant (Michigan) to produce the all-new Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer...The added benefit of the investment in Warren is that it will enable the plant to produce the Ram heavy duty truck, which is currently produced in Mexico". I might be wishing for pie-in-the-sky but I think that is the only way a GW will be what everyone hopes it to be.

As for the JL and the pickup, I agree that it probably won't be anything too surprising. The biggest hope is for either a diesel or V8 option.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
The GW from what I've ready will be upper echelon like your Escalade etc thus will exclude a lot of folks (like my wife) who are hell bent on getting a 7 seater but don't want to pay 6figures to have one. Don't forget your $110K car becomes 130 here even before it gets converted to Australian Pesos. I'm seeing 2019 for that here anyways from what I've seen. Don't tell Jersey but I'm very keen to see the new ute.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
The GW from what I've ready will be upper echelon like your Escalade etc thus will exclude a lot of folks (like my wife) who are hell bent on getting a 7 seater but don't want to pay 6figures to have one. Don't forget your $110K car becomes 130 here even before it gets converted to Australian Pesos. I'm seeing 2019 for that here anyways from what I've seen. Don't tell Jersey but I'm very keen to see the new ute.

It will be pricey I'm sure. Remember back when Grand Wagoneer's were still in showrooms it was a very expensive vehicle. I'd say new ones will be on par with Escalade's and Yukon Denali's. The low trim Wagoneer I'm hoping will be more reasonably priced in the Tahoe range. At this point it is all just speculation anyway.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
It will be pricey I'm sure. Remember back when Grand Wagoneer's were still in showrooms it was a very expensive vehicle. I'd say new ones will be on par with Escalade's and Yukon Denali's. The low trim Wagoneer I'm hoping will be more reasonably priced in the Tahoe range. At this point it is all just speculation anyway.

I'm ok with it being a crazy expensive ride. Make the best waggy they can! Make it diesel. Make it super capable on and off road!
In 10 years they will appear on the used car lots and maybe us normal humans can scoop one up. :)

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
If the GW actually comes out like I hope the wife's Overland will be GONE. We both miss the Commander the Overland replaced.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
If the GW actually comes out like I hope the wife's Overland will be GONE. We both miss the Commander the Overland replaced.

Wasn't there a commander available with "wood" sides? I wonder how hard it would be to modify one to resemble a GW... ish. Less swoopy and aerodynamic than a grand Cherk.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Wasn't there a commander available with "wood" sides? I wonder how hard it would be to modify one to resemble a GW... ish. Less swoopy and aerodynamic than a grand Cherk.

yep - they did have wood decals you could opt for. Ours was a 2008 4x4 Limited with HEMI. White with tan and black interior. LOVED IT. I had a 2"lift and 32s on it. When my wife got pregnant we started having electrical issues with it and it was out of warranty. The few times I paid to have it looked at they kept coming up empty. For safety I sold it (with issues fully disclosed) and bought the 2012 GC Overland. Not 2 weeks later Chrysler announced the electrical issues was due to a faulty ignition system and did a recall. Of course after I sold it! :banghead:

It would still be in our garage today had we not sold it two weeks prior to the recall announcement.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Wifey wants a seven seater, hadn't thought of a Commander. 21 available around Australia with about three beer me. 17k for 3.0 diesel (Mercedes I think) and 25 for one one with a 5.7L

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wifey wants a seven seater, hadn't thought of a Commander. 21 available around Australia with about three beer me. 17k for 3.0 diesel (Mercedes I think) and 25 for one one with a 5.7L

Neighbor has one. Rear seats in the back back are only usable by quite small children IMO and FWIW.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Stole this off the FSJ site. Looks like feep is shooting for a Waggy AND a Grand Waggy. Weird.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/01/10/wagoneer-ho-jeep-confirms-return-legendary-suv.html

This is what I was hoping for!

"Unlike the Jeep Grand Cherokee, which uses a car-like unibody, the Wagoneers will be body-on-frame trucks and built in the Michigan assembly plant that currently produces Ram 1500 pickups...'We know, using body-on-frame with Jeep, because that’s what Wrangler is, that we can get fantastic luxury and performance and capability, and that’s what we need,' Manley says."

jeepgrwagoneerface-b07-kgp-ed-1.jpg