Finally found a tongue box I was happy with. This is mostly for the electronic stuff (battery, solar charge controller, switch system and junctions/fuses). Now to get it mounted and some MDF inside for mounting things easily.
Trailer did great even though we were really just sleeping there and hanging at out friends’ house most of the time. Remarkable how big a temperature difference there was in the sun in the morning between the annex and the actual tent. Too hot too early in the year!
Wiring time! Lots of stuff to wire up between the scene lights, bed lights, switches, rock lights, reverse light, fridge power, solar charge controller, house battery, trailer brakes, and the removable trailer plug
Came up with a very interesting setup for the tongue/tongue box, more to come there.
Mounted a 3.5" RR LED flood in the stock taillight hole for the reverse light on the trailer.
I'm being anal about testing everything between the major steps and that's really slowing me down. I checked everything before messing with the conduit and routing the wires to the box and then again over the last couple days with all of the wires run through the conduit into the box, but without finalizing any component mounting (other than the Odyssey) or shortening/securing all the wires. (That's why you're seeing wire nuts, don't give me crap on them.)
I have a piece of marine plywood cut for the inside front of the box that will let me mount the components without adding more box holes and the next thing is to move the components to that and start finalizing wire length/terminations.
I only forgot one wire so far, I wanted a heavier ground between the trailer socket and the frame, but I was able to get it through without much trouble. Everything else is going to plan.
Lots of cutting, crimping, soldering and screwing in my future.
There are a couple things I want to clean up more before I call the wiring “done”, but everything wiring related aside from the trailer brakes and controller install is in and working.
Finished up too late tonight after a very long day to want to try to drag it out for proper photos but the trailer battery is charging off the Jeep when connected via the power umbilical and the solar panel is working great (plugs into a socket in the box).
I built two “extension cords” that also plug into sockets on the trailer box to run 12v power with two USBs each and a power socket for an inverter or whatever back into the tent.
The trailer has four LED cubes for scene lights, two repurposed LED rock lights as bed lights, an LED backup light and rock lights underneath that are triggered by either the Jeep dash switch (installed 6 rock lights on the Postal) or the Trigger switch unit in the tongue box.
The fridge is powered up properly and I ran some LED strip lights on a pin switch to light up the tongue box.
Hated cutting into the Postal to mount the 7-wire trailer socket, but it was worth it.
I already dig the rock lights under the Postal for working under it and I can tell we will use the trailer rock lights for low-level campsite lighting.
The Bluetooth control for the lights is cool and the phone app is actually pretty sweet.
I got a Bluetooth battery monitor too just because I’m paranoid and it was easier than wiring in a voltmeter. Pretty slick setup, I have to say.