• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Refreshing my Scrambler with 4.0 from ZJ

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
Hi friends. As some of you already know, I have been working on making the hardtop for my Scrambler, given how impossible it is to find in Europe and how expensive it would be to import one from the USA. At the moment it is in the paint shop, to finish it.
But one day, surprisingly and without any previous failure, the engine's No. 3 cylinder failed ... and it was a major failure, because the engine began to spit oil all everywhere.
For some time I had an AX15 transmission in reserve, with the adapter that I bought on the recommendation of someone on this forum (sorry, I don't remember who, but thanks!). So I decided to install everything together: 4.0 engine from a 1996 ZJ and Wrangler AX 15 coincidentally also 1996.
Many will say that I have done a foolish thing, because I did not mount the engine with the injection (I only kept the exhaust header of the 4.0). That's right, I had to adapt the original intake and carburetor, because the regulations in Spain for our vehicles do not allow a modification of this type: If the Jeep left the factory with a carburetor, I cannot put an electronic injection. In addition, we currently suffer restrictions on the use of "polluting" vehicles and the salvation to be able to continue using it is to make a historical registration. But at this point, only vehicles are accepted as they left the factory, or with the options then offered. Regarding the engine, as aesthetically it does not present a major difference, nobody will find out about the change ...
The adaptation is really simple, but laborious as many know. The profit is enough to make it worth it. I have tried the Jeep and it is a different machine, agile and powerful. The AX 15 is fantastic, very good relations between the gears and the 5th, a relief for highway use. And I also took the opportunity to paint the bodywork in the engine area of the color that I will give the exterior, cleaning and organizing everything.
Now we have to pass the technical inspection (we have one every 6 months!) And enjoy it.
47.jpg

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
Oh, the "adapter"that I bought was to use my stock DANA 300 with AX 15 tranny......

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I can't wrap my head around their logic. :huh:
But... really nice job on cleaning up your "stock" engine bay. :thumbsup:
Good luck with the inspection.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Fantastic!
Wow- I thought some of the regulations in the states were tough. It’s interesting to hear how other countries are regulated. Thanks for sharing!

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
Hello friends!! Ok, I finally passed the inspection "without defects" and start to use the Jeep. At this time, I've done near 400 miles of test trail...
I knew this engine/tranny swap was a good improvement, but it's pretty cool!! The Jeep run smoothly, with enough power and I've reduced gas consumption significantly on the highway. Even in this hot summer, engine temp never went above 190. At the electric fuel pump instalation, for a first time (and for safety) I used a special relay, this type that only connects the fuel pump if engine runs at least at 200 RPMs ... and it works perfectly.
Next work will be to repair or change rear diff, because those "clap clap" noise will make me crazy....

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Fantastic!
Wow- I thought some of the regulations in the states were tough. It’s interesting to hear how other countries are regulated. Thanks for sharing!
It's similar in Australia. That's one of the reasons i live here in the States now...... we are really lucky here.

Even swapping in a similar replacement engine in Australia requires a "compliance certificate" due to the new engine number. People are often caught in random roadside complacent checks.

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Very crazy thinking by them to make you have to do this but great that you got it running. I have that combo (fuel injected, of course) in my TJ and it’s a ton of fun.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
It could be a way for Gov. To eliminate older cars. Who is going to do that unless you are in love with your vehicle like us. Just remember cars for cash. Millions of cars and parts just gone forever. Or how about guns for cash (very little for true value) or coupons.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Great work. I can’t believe that they won’t allow you to go with efi. I would think that it would benefit everyone.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Great work. I can’t believe that they won’t allow you to go with efi. I would think that it would benefit everyone.
Australia and other nanny state countries are more about the letter of the law than the intent.