• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Replacement 4” lift springs recommendations

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Rubicon Express Springs are good, and soft. They will sag with use. I have 40,000 miles on a set, had to add an extra main leaf to each spring pack because they were getting too soft.

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
Here is a side view of mine with Deaver Springs, Loaded down I had some sag in the rear and a quick call to deaver he sent me out a leaf for the rear, this is with that leaf added. I am running 35x12.50x15s with full corner armor and fenders, rocker guards, full spare off the back, tools, recovery gear and two kids in the back when I wheel, so I needed the leaf.
Deaver Springs.jpg

Rippa

City
Garland
State
Tx
Here is a side view of mine with Deaver Springs, Loaded down I had some sag in the rear and a quick call to deaver he sent me out a leaf for the rear, this is with that leaf added. I am running 35x12.50x15s with full corner armor and fenders, rocker guards, full spare off the back, tools, recovery gear and two kids in the back when I wheel, so I needed the leaf.
View attachment 88528
Tell me where to get the soccer ball wall rack. I need one. Lol

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
OK, Alcan & Deaver are new to me. I've been out of the loop again.
Are these better than OME? I searched Deaver's website & they just have XJ leafsprings.
Is that what people are using?
I currently have a set of old procomp leaf springs & boy are they rough

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
Are these better than OME? I searched Deaver's website & they just have XJ leafsprings.

They make leaf springs for anything, just have to call Deaver and talk to them. Better, well I'll say they are custom, meaning spring rates and lift height, they also use thin leaf design for much better ride and flex. I absolutely love my Deaver springs, plus they are made in the USA custom to order for your application. You will pay for them, but you can't go wrong.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
I’ve come to think that the BDS setup isn’t enough as delivered for a Scrambler. Mine is exceptionally heavy but I’ve heard from others with more stock-like rigs that the springs just sag out too fast. I have added their massive thick add a leafs in the rear and one full-length on the back right (to fight the lean) and now need to do the full-length ones on the front.

Now that they’re tweaked in the rear, they’re really fantastic, but I just think they’re not enough and you shouldn’t have to go through all of this :shrug:

if I were doing it all again (and when I need springs next) I’m weighing each corner and getting Alcan or Deaver or something custom done.

Oh no! I just, and I mean just bought a set of 4" BDS for my scrambler due to some rear sag and hoping to improve ride. I also purchased the recommended add-a-leaf for the rear packs. I have not put them on yet....but I thought they looked really nice. I hope it was not a mistake! My current springs are an old 4" set...maybe trailmasters, I obtained used...the right rear sags heavily when loaded.

Have you used the lifetime BDS warranty for the sagging?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS

Alcan is just like deaver; custom very high quality springs. You will likely get way more; thinner; better springs with this route. My rear springs are a 6 pack. You weigth the vehicle loaded with everything you want for a typical trip and send them the 4 corner weights and tell them how you plan to use the jeep (60% on-road; 40% off; ect....) and they build a set for you. If I remember mine were about $1250 about 6 years ago... They can/will rebuit their springs too

HWB3

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
St. Louis
State
Mo
If anyone is paying attention to this thread anymore I want to say thank you. Very informative. I stuck a set of 4” rough country on my 84 when I first acquired it and that was a mistake. Tooth shattering ride. That was 10 years ago. I am getting ready to order a set of Alcan 2.5” and got to 31’s from 33’s. Just looking for comments on my checklist. New wheels. 15x10 5 on 5.5. New tires 31-10.5. Going with Cooper Discover AT3. Have run 2 sets on my Silverado 2500 and they are the best tire I have ever used. Need to get new sway bar links? Why am I dropping the lift? My 53 year old body and my 10 year old dog just can’t handle the in and out. We don’t do much real off roading. Run to the river and explore our southern Missouri property.

Lew at Alcan was vey helpful. Puts the rears at 500lb over stock and the front 100lb over. I might go 600 over on the rears as I tend to carry a lot of weight when heading out of town. Run a 4,0L with a soft top but have a LoD tire rack with two Jerry cans.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions appreciated.

Scott_P

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
Benzonia
State
MI
My only comment is the 10" wide wheels, I guess it's doable, but with a 10.5" wide tire I would run an 8" wide rim personally.

Congrats on the Alcan route...I've always wanted to go that way or similar...good luck with your re-build!

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Keep us posted on the Alcan please. They are very popular with the FJ40 set along with the OME.

Are you doing a YJ-style spring or do they do something custom?

Last edited:

HWB3

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
St. Louis
State
Mo
My only comment is the 10" wide wheels, I guess it's doable, but with a 10.5" wide tire I would run an 8" wide rim personally.

Congrats on the Alcan route...I've always wanted to go that way or similar...good luck with your re-build!
Thanks for the heads up on the wheel width. Did the research from your suggestion and you are correct. Going with 8 inch wide.

HWB3

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
St. Louis
State
Mo
Keep us posted on the Alcan please. They are very popular with the FJ40 set along with the OME.

Are you doing a YJ-style spring or do they do something custom?
These are just leaf springs that Lew said would give a great ride. I am ordering tomorrow. 6-8 week lead time so Ill get back to everyone asap.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
You will love the Alcans. Great springs.
And good choice on the 8” wheels.

HWB3

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
St. Louis
State
Mo
Alcans on order!!! 4-6 weeks. I explained to my wife its more cost effective to keep putting money into the Scrambler than buying a new vehicle. I think she bought it? But she asked why all these Jeep parts are keep pooping up in her feeds. She knew about the new top, the new wheels, the new tires, and the new headlights. I think Alexa is listening.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Alcans on order!!! 4-6 weeks. I explained to my wife its more cost effective to keep putting money into the Scrambler than buying a new vehicle. I think she bought it? But she asked why all these Jeep parts are keep pooping up in her feeds. She knew about the new top, the new wheels, the new tires, and the new headlights. I think Alexa is listening.

I love my Alcans....rides great!

HWB3

Legacy Registered User
Silver Member
City
St. Louis
State
Mo
Last question. Ha. I guess I need new shocks since I’m stepping down in lift from 4 to 2.5? Yes? Any recommendations would be appreciated on brand.