• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

RispoNY's Scrambler Build Thread - The 'Kit' Scrambler w/ Postal Top (PIC HEAVY)

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
I'd grab some plastic to cover your frame up with too. POR-15 is great stuff, but it's literally like liquid SuperGlue: it's runny, and things it touches remain black forever, so you don't want it screwing up the coatings on your frame, or the garage floor. DEFINITELY wear nitrile gloves when working with it.

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
Heavy Update!

I got sooo much done these past two/three days. I undercoated the entire underside of the chassis. Took about 4 full days but now its done. After the POR-15 cured, for good measure I sprayed some of eastwoods rust encapsulator that comes in a ~20oz aerosol can with a 3 foot extension hose that has a 360 spray. I just pushed it through each of the tubs cross braces and hard to reach areas and sprayed it whilst snaking it backwards and out. You could tell the spray reaches every single nook and crazy and there are drips coming out of literally every holes and crack in those braces.

Next, I started applying the dynamat/boomat whatever you call it. I don't know how they do it in the TV shows to make it super smooth but so far my has a crease and wrinkle in every single section. The reason being that since it's aluminum backed, any angle other then a flat surface puts major kinks in it, and trust me, a heat gun does nothing to aid in the situation. Doesn't look that great but It'll be covered by the rubber noise mat and then the carpeting so who cares.

Took a break from the insulation and broke down the heater box and air/cowl duct. I followed a really incredibly detailed teardown and revamp that i found on jeep forum. You're gunna wanna check it out if you haven't already.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/heater-box-rebuild-1064941/

After the teardown, I ordered myself a new heater core, cables, adhesive foam, and sent all the metal parts out for powder coating. Pics coming up

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
This is all I got done so far, about 6 sheets laid. Doesn't look like much but it took almost 2 hours and I like tithing of myself as a fast worker. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427388652.211059.jpg

Then the heater box breakdown, pretty boring but you get the idea

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427388771.076237.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427388782.876666.jpg

PS Whoever did this diagram is a saint:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427388798.776846.jpg

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
Also getting some other stuff powdercoated gloss black, I found a guy in Shirley in Long Island, NY. If anyone needs a place in the New York area, ULTIMATE powder coating is your place. Really nice people and extremely extremely reasonable prices for top notch work. Here's a before pics of all the misc brackets and parts I got done:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427389455.118103.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427389481.467164.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427389498.671961.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427389519.588231.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427389533.973706.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427389545.642175.jpg

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
This list is as follows:

Stinger front bumper
Rocker moldings
Factory side steps
Both pedal assemblies
Steering column braces and brackets
Tailgate brackets
Tailgate braces
Hood latch
hood support and prop rods
Inner fender braces
Inner door strap supports
Jack bracket (for sale)
2x 1" square tubing to make spacers for the transmission skid

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
DEI is insane!

I've been working on laying all the insulation down for the scrambler and I've been using DEI Boom mat cause a friend recommended it over Dynamat. I was always a little hesitant but went with it anyways and ordered 2 10-packs for roughly ~$240z It looks similar to Dynamat in that it has a silver shiny finish and performs just as well. I finished installing about 70% of it the other day until I ran out, so I went on Amazon and placed an order for another 10 pack. When it arrived today, I was really disappointed because they upgraded the sheets to make them thicker, and now they're black and branded! They look sick, but still I didn't want to have the jeep look like a Tetris board with mixed sheets of black and silver everywhere. I called the company and asked simply if they had any of the silver left over and they of course did not. Then I spoke to the brand manager....

Without hesitation, he comp'd me a new 20 pack of the new style sheets so that I could double up and have it black around to finish the truck. This to me is customer service. I didn't even mention that's I've also invested several hundred dollars in their other products like the tunnel shield, cool tape, and undercarpet. Amazing company and I highly suggest you guys give them a try! Plus, my jeep will now have double the insulation!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427934900.359614.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427934911.493455.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427934920.277441.jpg

And here's the thicker nicer cooler black version:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427934939.130236.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1427934946.998898.jpg

Last edited:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Excellent, its nice to hear about company's that stand behind their product and help their customers out.:headbang::bacon:

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
To apply that stuff it takes 2 people and a plastic squeegee. You peel back a portion of the backing and stick down one edge. One person holds the liner while pulling and spreading while the other person squeegees along the edge, while at the same time slowly peeling the backing away from underneath.

I got sooo much done these past two/three days. I undercoated the entire underside of the chassis. Took about 4 full days but now its done. After the POR-15 cured, for good measure I sprayed some of eastwoods rust encapsulator that comes in a ~20oz aerosol can with a 3 foot extension hose that has a 360 spray. I just pushed it through each of the tubs cross braces and hard to reach areas and sprayed it whilst snaking it backwards and out. You could tell the spray reaches every single nook and crazy and there are drips coming out of literally every holes and crack in those braces.

Next, I started applying the dynamat/boomat whatever you call it. I don't know how they do it in the TV shows to make it super smooth but so far my has a crease and wrinkle in every single section. The reason being that since it's aluminum backed, any angle other then a flat surface puts major kinks in it, and trust me, a heat gun does nothing to aid in the situation. Doesn't look that great but It'll be covered by the rubber noise mat and then the carpeting so who cares.

Took a break from the insulation and broke down the heater box and air/cowl duct. I followed a really incredibly detailed teardown and revamp that i found on jeep forum. You're gunna wanna check it out if you haven't already.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/heater-box-rebuild-1064941/

After the teardown, I ordered myself a new heater core, cables, adhesive foam, and sent all the metal parts out for powder coating. Pics coming up

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Any update? I've been wondering how this one turned out! I post over on Facebook reminded me of it!

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
I was wondering the same thing a while back. Time to bring it back with some new pics and progress updates..

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
From his FB/Insta accounts, I think he's been busy traveling the world with his model girlfriend.