• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Scramber with Factory AC

tamscram

City
Jefferson
State
TX
I own a 1981 CJ-8 Scrambler and it came with factory a/c. Does anyone know how many were produced that were produced with factory a/c?

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
No way to know the true number. I had one that I sold last year and still have a copy of the sticker. A/C was a $631 option on a 1981 Scrambler. Compare that to $2,399 for the Sport (SL) package and $409 for automatic transmission. Total sticker on this one was $11,572.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
Mine came with a hand and knee cooler.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Ice water actually works pretty well, I always carry it with me.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
The A/C in my TJ works well. Lol.

My love of black Jeeps kills this. Three have had A/C. It helps at long stoplights. IMO I think a light color (white, silver, etc.) without might be cooler than a dark one with.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
My air conditioning stopped working at some point but i couldn't say when. I checked it years ago and it worked fine. Then recently I turned it on by mistake and noticed that the clutch didn't engage.

I reckon I used it twice in 15 years: about the same number of times I've had the doors on.....

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Even with top off I welcome A/C at stoplights. Also defrosts glass in rain winter.
Who wants to look like sweating it out in their classic.
I've got pic somewhere of Muddie Buddie blowing 33 degrees on 100 degree day.
Vintage Air parallel flow condensor and R12.

IMG_2722_zpszdfuo2np.jpg

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I used to make fun of AC on a CJ. After all, CJ's are meant to be driven with top and doors off, right?

Now I'm old and things like driving in powdery dust that fills the cab bothers me more than it used to, and I have the Scrambler, which has never had the top off since it was purchased, so don't really want to "break the seal" on that one, and my tan CJ I did a really good job of sealing the top up when I put it on, so don't want to take it back off either.

Which leaves my green CJ, with the soft top. Of course, that's the only one that has AC. Was on there when I got it, minus the line from condenser to dryer. I had Orielly's make me a new line, put it on, vacuumed it down, and it worked well for years. Then the hard line sprung a leak on the other side of the dryer, which I had braised up but have not vacuumed it down and recharged it yet.

So my only AC equipped Jeep is the one that doesn't really need AC. I did pick up AC setups for the hard top equipped Jeeps, but like most other things in my life, they are projects that I haven't gotten around to.