gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Is there any interest in a strapless top. I have never run one so I don't know anything about them.
The bestop bikini top I run is “strapless”. I like it better than using the long straps. But it does has the one in the center that wraps around and uses the footman loop at the top of the windshield and has two straps that wrap around the sides of the rollbar where the angled bars attach to the vertical bar(s).
You had me intrigued when you sald “half top” above. I was hoping you were making half tops like came with them (whitco) that enclose the cab. I have an STC half top that needs some love (zippers are pulling away from the vinyl).

CJeep

Scrambled
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Easton
State
CT
I have one of what I suspect is one of the last STC half tops they made. The hardware is kinda of Rube Goldberg-like, but it works well. I really never use it much, esp since I got a bikini top. PO had put footman loops on top of the wheel arches. Works well.

So, I have all the STC parts for reffernce if that helps . . .

chris989

Basic User
City
las vegas
State
nv
not sure i like the angles on a full top. It is already getting low in the rear. Not sure you will be able to see past the top using the rear view mirror. My jeep does not have a mirror so a little hard to tell.

I already cut 3 more inches off the rear bow to lower it, Originally it looked more like the fantasy island jeep. full.jpg FI.jpg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
What about curving the rear flap up towards the middle, like an upside down smile??

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
It will curve, that previous picture is still rough cut fabric.

Here is the next step. still not sure i like the angles... Maybe great for trail rides, but i doubt it will ride at 55 mph. It is a lot of fabric with nothing supporting it.
View attachment 68422
I'd be a buyer for something like this if you could find a fabric close to nutmeg.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
It will curve, that previous picture is still rough cut fabric.

Here is the next step. still not sure i like the angles... Maybe great for trail rides, but i doubt it will ride at 55 mph. It is a lot of fabric with nothing supporting it.
View attachment 68422

View attachment 68423
Take a look at this thread by surfjeepzx, starting around post #493 he has pics and modification info on his similar top from 2015.
He has done highway trips with it, and could probably give you some good input.
top.jpg

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/the-beginning-the-end-and-a-fresh-start.33830/page-25

Here's a recent pic with an additional (third row) rear seat.
top2.jpg top2.jpg

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Add the extra bow like in the above picture and lower the back bow a little to get a slight curve to the top and it will take the wind better.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Add the extra bow like in the above picture and lower the back bow a little to get a slight curve to the top and it will take the wind better.
Yeah,
In the second (and third pic:shrug: ) from 2018 he has the additional bow he added for that reason.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Agreed. The middle bow addition will help with the pooling of water on the top as well. It was a great addition to my full top when I had it.

City
White Rock
State
NM
I have a kayline half cab top that the vinyl is coming apart but is otherwise in decent shape if you decide to get into enclosed cabs and want it for a pattern. I have the doors too which are actually in pretty good shape as is but Im not sure I have to bows. Just let me know, probably directly as Im not on the forum m uch anymore

cjatheart@yahoo.com

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
I'll post some additional close up pics for reference. It wont be for a couple days though. The guy that made my top had a short run and then bowed out. It's quality material and workmanship, just wish it was more nutmeg-ish in color. His goal was to make a flapless top. He accomplished that on a CJ-7 and then tried on the 8. Part of keeping it from flapping was a slight downward angle as it passed the roll bar. Even with the hoops it still flaps a little but that's what Jeeps do.

Last edited:

redking11

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I don't like the look of a full bikini top and don't need to cover a 3rd row of seats. I really want a 3/4 like this. Chris could you make something like this? images.jpeg.jpg

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
City
Russllville
State
TN
Neither my '81 or '82 have the mounting plate slot. I would be interested in a soft top. Would you use the factory hard doors with it?

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
I don't like the look of a full bikini top and don't need to cover a 3rd row of seats. I really want a 3/4 like this. Chris could you make something like this? View attachment 69249
I like the look of this too. (y)

Speaking of soft tops, I'd REALLY love replace-a-top material in a thick 'sailcloth' for my Bestop top. After having a sailcloth top on my TJ the thin material on my 8's Bestop soft top is very inadequate. I tried to encourage Bestop to offer this but I think the potential volume of sales is just too low.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
I'll post some additional close up pics for reference. It wont be for a couple days though. The guy that made my top had a short run and then bowed out. It's quality material and workmanship, just wish it was more nutmeg-ish in color. His goal was to make a flapless top. He accomplished that on a CJ-7 and then tried on the 8. Part of keeping it from flapping was a slight downward angle as it passed the roll bar. Even with the hoops it still flaps a little but that's what Jeeps do.

Attachments