• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Some Upgrades Coming

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Was curious how those RR step sliders would look with the rocker trim. I etched mine and painted them with the textured rattle can so they'd match my bumpers. There'll be a textured black x polished aluminum chrome thing going on all around for mine.

I also picked up a set of BFG 33s from 4WD for about 180 each - about $800 after mounting.

Looking great!

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Those look awesome! (y) Are the wheels actual beadlocks? Have you flexed it out and did you have to increase your bumpstops or doing anything else to fit?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Was curious how those RR step sliders would look with the rocker trim. I etched mine and painted them with the textured rattle can so they'd match my bumpers. There'll be a textured black x polished aluminum chrome thing going on all around for mine.

I also picked up a set of BFG 33s from 4WD for about 180 each - about $800 after mounting.

Looking great!

I love the protection of the rr sliders; mine are mounted about 1” lower than I’d like; but it’s worked out well.

Can’t wait to see yours going back together!!

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I love the protection of the rr sliders; mine are mounted about 1” lower than I’d like; but it’s worked out well.

Can’t wait to see yours going back together!!
I see what you mean. I had to talk my builder out of installing them now before the frame is painted, in case we have to adjust the body when it all comes back together again because of the drive train.

Visited her today to drop off some beer - the D44 is on the rear, and the D30 is off the front getting rebuilt. The suspension is otherwise mocked up. The progress is tangible now, but we're still a few months off what with body work and paint to go yet. o_O

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Those look awesome! (y) Are the wheels actual beadlocks? Have you flexed it out and did you have to increase your bumpstops or doing anything else to fit?

Thanks! I love the look.

They aren’t real beadlocks; but I don’t think it matters for me. My last set of tires (hopefully I picked a good combo again) I could run 11-12 without ever dropping a bead...they almost were too squishy at 10 for my liking. I’ll be happy here if I can run 12 and not have to worry about the bead.... the load rating is much higher on these....

We flexed it a little with a floor jack; it needs more testing. The day I picked it up from the shop that put in the 456s (Thursday afternoon) it was snowing; so everyone thought I was crazy driving home. They eyeball test to me is that this is a great size for a cj.

Last edited:

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Everything installed; putting some miles on it. Not surprisingly, braking is worse with 100 lb wheel/tire combo vs. 75 lb combo.... Jeep was pulling hard to the passenger side. Pulled the rear shoes and re-bled to make sure I had all the air out of the system. Still did it.

Finally took it to my trusty local mechanic for some help. He had caliper pressure tools; where you could pull the pads out and put a pressure gauge in it's place. Was getting 900 PSI on the passenger and 500 PSI on the driver !!!! Replaced the calipers (less than $30 each) and now getting 1600 on both. Stops much better (even better than when I had the smaller tires). :woot:

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
That's awesome news about your braking system.

When you get into it would you post up what you needed to do to wheel this combo? The reason I ask is that I'm looking to go with new tires and possibly wheels in the near future and I'm torn between sizes. I think I'm sitting about the same as you height wise and with stock widetrack axles (correct me if I'm wrong). And I'm looking to get the biggest M/T tires I can but still turn properly and flex offroad. Also, what is the backspacing measurement for those wheels? thanks!

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Going wheeling tomorrow....I'll let you know if I get into anything the way it is......

KK

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Finally did some work on the Jeep yesterday. I’d been researching one ton steering bots to reinforce the OEM pieces that were now visually wobbling with the new larger tires. I’d been leaning towards the ruff stuff and Barnes “build your own” kits. The more I measured, the more I was worried the the 1.5 DOM would get into my diff cover. Upon dumb luck searching Hd CJ7 steering; I ran across a kit from rugged ridge. It claimed direct swap; with 1 ton steering strength. It had 1.25” DOM TUBE...

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I actually had spare USA MOOG TREs...figured might as well swap them in....then I discovered how beefy the shaft was on the new TREs.....so if anyone wants some stock spares.....

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The problem with the Rugged Ridge set up is the tie rod ends. You can find one of them at the parts store, but the other one I could never find, either LH or RH. So, you are stuck with buying spares from Rugged Ridge. My tan Scrambler had this set up, and I needed to change the tie rod ends before I sold it. I ended up having to buy four new ends from them, they would not warranty them. Might not be a bad idea to get some spares, the stock RR ends wore out in less then 10,000 miles with 33" tires :twocents:

Post #942 has more information:

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/spankrjs-1984-long-term-project.32726/page-48

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
The problem with the Rugged Ridge set up is the tie rod ends. You can find one of them at the parts store, but the other one I could never find, either LH or RH. So, you are stuck with buying spares from Rugged Ridge. My tan Scrambler had this set up, and I needed to change the tie rod ends before I sold it. I ended up having to buy four new ends from them, they would not warranty them. Might not be a bad idea to get some spares, the stock RR ends wore out in less then 10,000 miles with 33" tires :twocents:

Post #942 has more information:

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/spankrjs-1984-long-term-project.32726/page-48

Hmmmm.... I guess I have a project on my hands..... RR would never give you a cross ref part?

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Hmmmm.... I guess I have a project on my hands..... RR would never give you a cross ref part?

No. I even emailed Moog and they do not make the part anymore. Rugged Ridge is the only source, unfortunately, that I could find.

I wouldn't sweat it too much now, just something to think about, maybe buy one RH and one LH from RR as spares, just to be safe.