• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Someone tried to steal my scrambler last night....while I was under it!

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
AS I've stated in other posts, I live in Manhattan, New York. My scrambler is my daily driver and I park it on the street usually right outside my house. I live right off park avenue, which is residential neighborhood that is (supposedly) super safe. So last night I couldn't sleep. At home I noticed that the silicone to seal my rock light pods finally cured so they were ready to install. Around 5am, I went out and started working underneath the truck wiring them to the bottom of the chassis on the drivers side first. At around 6am, as I'm still fully underneath the drivers side, I see two feet in tattered sneakers approach the passenger side of the jeep and pause a second. Then I hear the passenger door open and I know this isn't just a admirer of my girl. My adrenaline starts kicking in so I slowly climb out from underneath the trucks driver side and see this figure bent over under the dash with his hands up behind the speedometer cluster area. He was making a ton of noise so without him noticing, I grab a hatchet that I had stored behind the drivers seatback pocket and come around to the other side. I immediately assert in some less-than-friendly words that I was the owner of the car and that if he didn't come out with his hands up there would be consequences. He quickly jumps out and pulls out a paring knife and asks me if I was "Ready?". I immediately lift the hatchet above my head in an aggressive stance. The second he saw my weapon, he dropped his knife out of fear and immediately realized he no longer had the upper hand. I made him get on the ground and empty all of his pockets but he had no ID on anything except the largest bag of AmondJoy's I've ever seen in his backpack (the man has good taste). I flagged a dumptruck over and called the police three times over the course of the next 45 minutes but no one showed up so I released him and sent him on his way, without the knife. Finally when they arrived, they sent out a search party and apprehended him 30 minutes later.

It was a terrible terrible experience and I hope none of you have to go through such a strenuous situation. I don't condone violence in any way and always think it's better to just give up your personal belongings that risk any harm. Luckily this situation went in my favor and as a result, I suffered no injuries,my car has had no damage done, and one less car thief is out on the streets.

Here are some pictures I managed to take once I was able to go back inside my apartment and get my cellphone.
Crime scene
knp2oKsh-1.jpg

Police
yIdM67Mh-1.jpg

The paring knife
iM0Le7Uh-1.jpg

My hatchet
Ioy13cvh-1.jpg

Police Report with my info redacted
oow4Ar9-1.jpg

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
I would have nailed him with the hatchet. Although I'm also usually armed, so there's an excellent chance I would have put a bullet in his chest once I saw the knife.

pav1

Legacy Registered User
City
Acton
State
ON
very very lucky you where there....what's the chances....
glad you weren't hurt
just put a hidden kill switch in mine.

keman

Basic User
City
Auburn
State
wa
I hate to say it, but as soon as he showed the knife he would have had a really big hole in his chest from my .45. Thirty years ago I had no choice in a similar situation, so I sadly know the outcome.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I am just over in NJ from you and really appreciate your story. I was tense from the suspense reading it ! Glad to hear it all worked out and on a more light hearted note my biggest takeaway was u were working on your scrambler at 5
Am. Devotion! First one is on me next time I am in the city. :cheers:

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
No concealed carry in Manhattan right? I agree with Pav1, and I have a kill switch in mine but I would still be ticked-off that some shady character is touching my Jeep.

I do a lot of trips to Manhattan and might have to look you up when I get there, I won't bring a paring knife :rotfl: We usually stay on 52nd and 3rd Ave.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Very glad to hear that went your way! I guess that's what happens when you bring a knife to a hatchet fight! It would be nice to have a full hard top for security reasons where you live! ;)

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Wow...you weren't kidding about your theft concerns.Glad everything turned out OK for you. That rock light set was one of your best investments, right?

When I was young, fit, and "bulletproof" a similar situation happened top me. The perp ended up missing a few teeth, I had some bloody knuckles. Nowadays I'm older and slower, so I carry concealed. I also have several 24" HD zip ties in my Scrambler that can perform restraint duty if needed. Carry concealed is not an option in Manhattan, is it?

jeepers 1940

Legacy Registered User
City
Madison
State
MS
Rispony, Glad you and your jeep came out alright in that encounter. That knife could have ruined your day. These days it pays to be aware of what's going on in your surroundings.
Stay safe.

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
Glad things worked out for you. I have no idea how I would have reacted. We have been catching up on episodes of Justified. Got hooked on the series as a tie in to the National Scramble this year in Harlan, Ky.

For proper hatchet technique, refer to the last episode of Season 3.

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I hate to say it, but as soon as he showed the knife he would have had a really big hole in his chest from my .45. Thirty years ago I had no choice in a similar situation, so I sadly know the outcome.

It isn't all that easy when it's done and over with even when you're completely justified. Glad to hear it didn't escalate but that is SO frustrating when the police don't show up for such a long time!

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
Lifetime Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
Sorry for the delay in responses, I finally got my internet back up in running!

Thank you all for the kind words, and I'm sorry some of you had to go through similar experiences. This kind of stuff rarely ever happens in New York anymore after Giuliani and Bloomberg cleaned up the city so I don't mean to give it a bad rap. After the whole Zimmerman trial, I was actually concerned that I might be the one to get in trouble for having a hatchet on hand but no worries there. I really have to say that the worst part of the whole experience was the 1hr+ of paperwork that had to be done just documenting the experience, I couldn't imagine what would have to be done if something 'else' happened.

I installed a kill switch about a month or so ago after I posted on here regarding my security concerns so that definitely has my nerves a little calmer now. I also ordered a No Wheel No Steal kit from Grant but it's on back order until September because Grant moved their plant to Mexico... :usflag: I would love to be able to go the garage route but monthly garages around the city are insanely expensive and your car always ends up with door dings or missing trim pieces. The garage right next door to my place is asking $575 per month, so that's obviously out of the question. If my rent gets any higher, I may just end up sleeping under the truck every night with the hatchet as my cuddle toy! :thumbsup:

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
Sorry for the delay in responses, I finally got my internet back up in running!

Thank you all for the kind words, and I'm sorry some of you had to go through similar experiences. This kind of stuff rarely ever happens in New York anymore after Giuliani and Bloomberg cleaned up the city so I don't mean to give it a bad rap. After the whole Zimmerman trial, I was actually concerned that I might be the one to get in trouble for having a hatchet on hand but no worries there. I really have to say that the worst part of the whole experience was the 1hr+ of paperwork that had to be done just documenting the experience, I couldn't imagine what would have to be done if something 'else' happened.

I installed a kill switch about a month or so ago after I posted on here regarding my security concerns so that definitely has my nerves a little calmer now. I also ordered a No Wheel No Steal kit from Grant but it's on back order until September because Grant moved their plant to Mexico... :usflag: I would love to be able to go the garage route but monthly garages around the city are insanely expensive and your car always ends up with door dings or missing trim pieces. The garage right next door to my place is asking $575 per month, so that's obviously out of the question. If my rent gets any higher, I may just end up sleeping under the truck every night with the hatchet as my cuddle toy! :thumbsup:

Any other security measures you are considering that you might want to share? ;)

pav1

Legacy Registered User
City
Acton
State
ON
they do make car alarms for convertibles....no one in NY would care, but get a two way and it will set off your key chain and you know somebody is in it.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I kinda like the idea that Max used on his intercepter. Touch it and "BOOM".