spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Roll Bar mounted spare tire carrier and factory chrome rear step bumper pics.

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
More pics, close ups of factory roll bar spare tire mount bracket.

Last edited:

pgertz

SoCal Scramblers
City
Lake Forest
State
CA
Ohhhh... A stock Scrambler... and a nice one at that!!! :D

I can almost remember when my looked stock.... well almost....:rolleyes:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Thanks for the replies and compliments;) This one will be staying stock, and I try to keep it clean LOL:D The only real work I need to do to it to get it 100% stock is to find/replace/repair the emission system parts. But lately, the stock carb is kinda pi$$ing me off (runs beautifully 50% of the time, idles like doo doo the other 50% of the time), so that Mopar fuel injection is tempting:eek::p

Joe West

Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
This color combination is the nicest I've ever seen on a CJ... just beautiful!

Although I will paint my scrambler back to the stock color just to keep it as original as possible; I would love to simply reshoot it in this color combination.

Thanks for posting all of the pictures.

Do you have any of the history on this rig?

Joe

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
That fine Scrambler would probably look even better in the Caliifornia sun...in the Sierras...on a hill...in my driveway. Nice find with that stock beauty!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Thanks for all the comments:thumbsup: As far as history goes, this is what the second owner told me when I purchased the Scrambler:

The original owner bought the Scrambler new in October of 1982 (the date is wrote on the cover of the original owner manual, which I have in the glove box). He bought the Scrambler for his son when he got his drivers license (great dad:D). His son pretty much just drove it during his high school years. During this time, his son installed the stereo which is still in the Jeep. It is an Alpine Cassette deck, knobby style like the factory radio, with an Alpine EQ and Pioneer speakers. This stuff still works, except the cassette deck, it drags. When his son finished high school and went to college, he didn’t want the Scrambler any more. His dad parked it on the side of the house, and there it sat for a couple of years. The guy was kind of a recluse and didn’t like talking to people. He got tired of people asking him to sell it and so he pushed it into his barn where it sat for about 10 years.

The second owner, whom I bought the Scrambler from, worked with a guy who was friends with the original owner. He would get this guy to ask the owner to sell it about twice a year. Finally, the original owner sold it to him.

The second owner showed me pics of the Scrambler from when he bought it (he kept the pics:() The first owner actually pulled it out the barn with his tractor (hooked the rope to the grill, which of course bent the bars all up:mad::eek:) The second owner took it home and cleaned it up. The only mechanical work he had done to this Scrambler was: rebuilt carb, changed some seals on the tranny and t-case, "fixed" valve cover leak (orange silicone wont fix a warped cover;)) The second owner did repaint it back to the factory color. The only unoriginal sheetmetal is the grill (which I still have the original bent one) and the drivers side rear corner (where the tail light bolts). The corner wasnt rusty, but it had alot of dents in it. I still have the original coner piece as well. He had the original seats recovered and had a local guy remake the decals. This Scrambler doesn't have the decal on top of the hood because the PO didnt like it, and I kinda like it without it as well.

The PO did not do a body off resto. They just repainted the body with it on the frame. The underside is painted black. The bed floor and interior floor have do it yourself bed liner on them (which I am not crazy about). The PO showed me pics of the entire process of repainting it (he kept the pics:(). There was no rust on this Jeep at all. The guy who painted it did an excellent job. The metallic is not over done and you can see the clouds in the sky reflecting in the paint on the hood when you drive down the road.

I bought this Scrambler mainly because of the condition of the body. No rust and a great paint job plus the fact that the power train is pretty much all original (except for some emission stuff). This Jeep hasnt had any "back yard" engineering done, it is unmolested and original. The starter still has the AMC sticker on it:eek: Mechanically the Jeep is sound. I have only had to do the following: rear pinion oil seal, outer axle bearings on rear end, cleaned venturi on carb, retightened exhaust pipe to manifold to stop an exaust leak, new valve cover (havent changed it yet). The only problems I havent fixed yet are: the clutch, it is starting to show its 117,000 mile age, the gas gauge quit working recently, reverse lights quit working, and the parking brake light doesnt come on. Other then that this Jeep is great. Drives perfect down the road or highway no ratltes or weird sounds and gets great gas milage. This vehicle actually drives and performs better then my stock 05 Rubicon.

Thats all the history I have. I plan on keeping this Scrambler stock and just fixing the mechanical things as they wear out or break. When I have to repaint it (which shouldn't be for a long time because it is kept in a climate controlled garage when it is not being driven) I will do a full frame off and repaint the underside and floors the Sherwood Green color.

Thats it for now, sorry for the long post:cheers:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Figured i would bump my own thread back up, seeing as the site seems to have been a little slow lately:ZZZ:

Since I last posted on this thread, I have had to do a few minor repairs to my Sherwood Green Scrambler.

The factory thrust block inside the rear differential had some wear to it, which resulted in the rear axle shafts slightly moving inward. This slight movement was causing the outer axle seals to start leaking gear oil. I went to pull back out the factory axle shafts, which I had previously placed new bearing and seals on, so that I could change the seals out. I managed to warp one of the axle hubs, thus ruining the factory axle. So, I replaced the rear axle shafts with Moser 1 piece axles, and I removed the thrust block from the differential, since it was causing issues with the Moser shafts. I really wanted to keep the factory rear axle shafts in this Scrambler, but I figure that the Moser axles are a nice/not really noticeable upgrade:shrug: PS - watch out when you pull the side gears out of a Trac-Lock rear differential, those clutch discs go flying:rotfl:

My fuel filter recently started plugging up with minor rust flakes. This has been an issue since I bought this Scrambler. I pulled out the gas tank, which was the original, factory 15 gallon tank. I removed the sending unit (whose float had a pin hole, thus allowing it to fill with gas, thus causing the gas gauge to always read "E", mystery solved:smokin:) and looked inside the tank. The factory gas tank was beginning to lightly rust on the inside. Since I had an almost brand new 15 gallon tank, equipped with a NOS 15 gallon sending unit already installed, sitting in my garage due to the 20 gallon tank upgrade I performed on my red Scrambler, I installed this almost brand new 15 gallon unit in this Scrambler. I now have a rust free gas tank, and a gas gauge that functions like new:woot:

I replaced the factory plastic valve cover with a new plastic valve cover from Mopar, due to a slightly warped/cracked original valve cover. Even with a new plastic valve cover, sealed properly (completely cleaned the head, RTV'd the cover directly to the head, after letting the silicone "tack" for 10 minutes, finger tightening the bolts initially, final torque after 24 hour "cure") I still get a tiny leak every once in awhile. Not enough to "puddle on the manifold" or drip, but enough of a slight seapage which hits the exhaust manifold when running down the road, resulting in a nice "burnt oil" whiff every once in awhile. I "MIGHT" replace this valve cover with a Mopar aluminum valve cover, if the slight seapage gets much worse:shrug:

I managed to snap off one of the exhaust pipe to manifold studs when I was tightening them up one day, which resulted in having to remove the intake/exhaust manifolds to remove the damaged stud. I now have a new intake/exhaust manifold gasket as a result, and a quiet exhaust:D

The original clutch is still working fine, the throw out bearing quit making noise, so I still have a new clutch kit for this Scrambler sitting on the shelf, directly below the carb rebuild kit. Every once in awhile I have a very slight "spot" when I transition from the idle to cruise circuits in the carb, so I guess I will need to rebuild the carb one of these days, too:D

Other then those minor issues, the Sherwood Green Scrambler has been running great. I didn't want everyone to think I was neglecting this one due to the red Scrambler/Yard Scrambler/or long term '84 Scrambler project:crazy:

That's it for now:wave:

Joe West

Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
That color combination is hands-down my favorite. What a beautiful Scrambler!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
That color combination is hands-down my favorite. What a beautiful Scrambler!
Appreciate it Joe, your CJ8 is coming along very nicely, too:cheers:

Shameless plug of my Sherwood Green '83:thumbsup:

That is an old picture, I will try to take some newer pictures soon to post up, but it looks the same still, which is a good thing:thumbsup:

Last edited:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
That color looks familiar. :headbang:
We are going to need a 55 gallon drum of polish, 1 million square feet of polishing rags/buffer wheels, and a crew of 10 "day laborers" for a week to get "yard Scrambler's" paint to shine like that:rotfl::rotfl:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS

Any new updates on this super clean Sherwood '8?

I have mainly just been keeping it clean and driving it. I did rebuild the carb/adjust the timing/ and reinstalled 90% of the missing emissions/feedback components awhile back, and so far, the Scrambler has been running absolutely perfectly:thumbsup: Link to emissions/carb work thread: http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?25041-Carter-BBD-Blues&highlight=

I will probably drive it a bunch next week during "Cruising the Coast" - a 7 day long coast wide car show/event, around 5-6,000 registered classic cars will be here all week, it is a huge event:cheers:

Last edited:

SKT

Legacy Registered User
City
APO
State
AE

Glad to hear that it is running great and is getting its share of driving time.

Looking forward to seeing some pics from the upcoming car cruise!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Due to my daily driver being out of commission temporarily, I have been using my Green Scrambler more. It has been running great, until yesterday. When I was accelerating, it just didn't feel "right", like it wouldn't "peg the tach in third gear". It wasn't cutting out or bucking, just wasn't "pulling" as hard as normal.

I have never had this happen to me before, but after reading JerseyJeep's thread about his latest Jambo acquisition, I decided to take a look at the ignition control module. And sure enough, it was starting to "leak out the magic putty::D

That all too familiar goop that is prevalent on so many CJ's driver side inner fender.

Picture of the back side. Even after cooling down for an hour, all the epoxy is still runny/sticky/leaking out.

I know that these components have a bad reputation, but if this one isn't original to this Jeep (30 years old), it is not much newer:eek:

In the past, the only problems I have had out of these "magic boxes" is complete failure - i.e. the jeep was running fine, turned it off, no spark on restart. I have never had one have "intermittent/decreased performance" issues:shrug: It gave me problems all morning/afternoon, but on the drive home it worked perfectly.

I think I gave all my old ICM's to JeepAddict for his Sherwood Green Scrambler. So, I bought a new Borg Warner ICM from O'Reilly's when I was on the way home. Installed it, Scrambler is running fine again. After installing the "crappy made in China ICM", I went out and looked under the hood of the CA Scrambler. And of course, it still has a Motorcraft ICM bolted to the fender. Oh well, at least I know where a good spare is :thumbsup:

Now, if my 1" lift would hurry up and get here.............................