• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Suspension Upgrade Opinions For A Roughly Original Scrambler

jamesmadconductor

City
Greensboro
State
NC
Hello all, I love my 8. I drive it damn near every day. Unrestored survivor from Arizona. That said, it seems about time to rebuild the suspension and there's so many options out there, I felt it best to consult with others to see their thoughts and experiences on their vehicles. I'm not wanting to build a climber, but I would also like a reliable suspension that can perform without concern on mild dirt trails and general off-road destinations in the mountains. Maybe a very small lift kit, but definitely no more than 4" for my needs.

Thoughts, pics of your setups, suggestions, discouragements, etc. are all welcome.IMG_3682.JPG

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Old Man Emu. They seem to have about the best reputation out there. Supposed to have a great ride. The only downfall I have ever heard of them is the price but you do get what you pay for often.

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
I have alcans with a MORE shackle reversal and Bilstein 5100s and I love the ride on pavement and it works great in the dirt. I dont have the sway bar but In hindsight given that i dont get to use it much beyond DD use anymore Id suggest keeping it.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I am on 80's era Superlift Softride 4" in the Scrambler and they ride like there it is a solid block between the frame and axle. Had Alcan 4" on a CJ 5 loved them rode way better than the Scrambler. Neither was shackle reverse. As for Sway bars I had disconnects on both. The Scrambler I unhooked and rehooked a couple of times unhooked and removed the sway bar. The CJ 5 unhooked and rehooked a couple of times, hooked them up and never unhooked again as long as I owned it. I never really could tell any real difference in either rig with or with out. Good luck figuring out what you need, there are probably as many answer and there are rigs. Maybe a consensus will show up.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Not too far away from you. Welcome!

you can’t go wrong with OME or BDS. For the price you can’t beat the BDS 2” YJ conversion. I run that on my Scrambler and have installed it on many 7s and 8s at my shop.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I've got the OME on mine and like it. It's a Jeep, short wheelbase, truck tires, etc. it's going to ride sort of rough. The thought that crossed my mind was to put some more money into comfortable/supportive seating.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
Last time I checked, Rancho was still making a decent set of 1.5" lift springs, which are effectively just replacement springs. They rode nicely, particularly if you aren't looking for any real lift.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Last time I checked, Rancho was still making a decent set of 1.5" lift springs, which are effectively just replacement springs. They rode nicely, particularly if you aren't looking for any real lift.

Sounds interesting. Back in the 90's I had a Rancho 2.5" lift on my CJ7, but it was pretty harsh. Maybe the 1.5" is softer :shrug:

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
Sounds interesting. Back in the 90's I had a Rancho 2.5" lift on my CJ7, but it was pretty harsh. Maybe the 1.5" is softer :shrug:
Could have been shock related too. I kept an OEM-replacement Monroe shock with those 1.5" springs rather than running anything by Rancho. (Although the Rancho RS5000s I have on the Scrambler, in SOA, also ride just fine IMHO.)

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Could have been shock related too. I kept an OEM-replacement Monroe shock with those 1.5" springs rather than running anything by Rancho. (Although the Rancho RS5000s I have on the Scrambler, in SOA, also ride just fine IMHO.)

Maybe so. IIRC I was running Rancho RS5000 shocks with the lift. I might look into those 1.5" springs, if they still make them.

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
I've got the OME on mine and like it. It's a Jeep, short wheelbase, truck tires, etc. it's going to ride sort of rough. The thought that crossed my mind was to put some more money into comfortable/supportive seating.
My current lift was used when I bought it 12 or 13 years ago & it's a procomp at that :sick:
Any of the above will be an improvement I'm sure!! & Thanks for the link to the write-up, Spankrjs

City
auburn
State
ca
Mine looks "classy" without going full rock crawler. It almost looks stock with all the chs running around with 37s now a days. It is a total of 4"lift. 1" body lift plus the springs and extended shackles. Tires are 32" bfg ko2s.

Old man emu cs036r springs with conversion shackles and spring skid plates. Shocks are slightly modified Monroe gas Magnums from the rear of a 96 f250. They have nearly 11" of travel. I used bolt on extended towers to extend the front shocks.

It rides REALLY good. All bolted on in a day and man it's like unbelievably good.
IMG_20191231_134011_707.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
BDS 2" YJ springs with the BDS conversion kit, 31x10.50 BFG All Terrain on stock 7" wheels:

IMG_20190416_114957929.jpg