• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Taking Built CJ7 apart to make CJ8 For Winter Use

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
White is wonderful. It hides so much. Couldn't even get a pic to show the screwed up sag where you can see it.:rolleyes:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Saturday I sanded out the runs. Also sanded out the sag. Unfortunately sanded through on the hood (expected that one) and the rear quarter panel. Did the first wet sand on 2/3rds of the tub, got the 2 sand through's taped and ready to shoot. Monday had just a little time, enough to shoot the repairs and pull the paper and tape. Today I wet sanded the repairs then final wet sand with 2,000 grit. I know I didn't put enough paint on (should have bought a gallon instead of using up what I had. Trying to keep this more like a daily driver, if I went that far I know I'll never stop. End up with another jeep that I'll never drive). Rubbed it out using a foam pad instead of the wool pad. Then did the next step and polished her. Only going this far on the tub and hood. When I put the body on the frame if the fenders need rubbing out it's easier with them mounted. Unfortunately with the light and white paint not much to see.

Attachments

• 20180220_175950_resized.jpg
    20180220_175950_resized.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20180220_180045_resized.jpg
    20180220_180045_resized.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 20180220_180103_resized.jpg
    20180220_180103_resized.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 66

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Looks great way better than I pulled off for sure.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Finished the paint, wet sand and buff. Put the body on the frame and drilled the tubs front 2 body mount holes (tub and frame). Tub mount was so dry that a layer on the top of the mount wasn't bonded to the mount (kinda like a cold solder joint). Both sides popped out when the drill went through

Attachments

• 20180227_150806_resized.jpg
    20180227_150806_resized.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180227_150814_resized.jpg
    20180227_150814_resized.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180227_150841_resized.jpg
    20180227_150841_resized.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180227_150846_resized.jpg
    20180227_150846_resized.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 30

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Bodies set until fall when I start the switch over. I'll use the windshield frame, tail gate. Leaning toward getting a new dash (custom) since I have the vintage air system and would like to install 2 more gauges in the dash (vs under the dash).

Attachments

• 20180227_163439_resized.jpg
    20180227_163439_resized.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 79
  • 20180227_153444_resized.jpg
    20180227_153444_resized.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 20180227_153155_resized.jpg
    20180227_153155_resized.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 80

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
So you're going to "freeze" this thread until it gets cold again? You could do this in 2 weeks with the pace you work at!

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
In another 4 weeks I start my season (work 6 to 7 days a week, 10 - 12 hr days). If all goes well next fall will be the switching everything over. If it's a really good year I'll also be trying to get the motor for the other cj8 build. Got to get back to jersey jeeps on a cj8 title to be able to do the switch. Jeep looks much better in person and phone. Don't know why the glare and blurry pics when posted. Probably bad lighting.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Leaning toward getting a new dash (custom) since I have the vintage air system and would like to install 2 more gauges in the dash (vs under the dash).

I cut in two additional gauges on my dash when I went with the Speedhut gauges because they just needed to be there. I had to pull the defrost duct to make it work and need to figure out a work-around to get something hooked back up to the windshield vent.

IMG_2256.jpg

I'm going to miss this thread while it sleeps :huh:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
One of the forum members had a dash made that the guy did a real good job with angling the 2 1/6" gauges. I'm hoping that will bring the gauge out some. I'm having trouble getting a good view of the gauge in the dash. I like the panel switches you have.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
One of the forum members had a dash made that the guy did a real good job with angling the 2 1/6" gauges. I'm hoping that will bring the gauge out some. I'm having trouble getting a good view of the gauge in the dash. I like the panel switches you have.

Yep, angling them would be the way to go for sure. At some point I'd like to figure out a way to do that cleanly.

I made up the switch panel myself to fill the stereo hole after moving the head unit to the console. After the time it took to do it, I'd just go to a pre-made setup like the Painless Trail Rocker below the dash and I have thought that I should have mounted those two extra gauges in that opening. Maybe do a new "cover plate" for that section of the dash or something to hide the stereo opening and provide the holes for the gauges.

Oh well, live and learn.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Autometer used to make little wedged shape spacers to angle gauges. That was 15-20 heats ago, do not know if they still make them. Double D Fabrication in Lititz, Pa makes some nice gauges and panels. He built an 8 for somebody on the list, I also heard he was not really building dashes anymore also. I have a dash from him, 3rd owner but never installed yet, maybe this summer.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
That's not good if he's not doing dashes anymore. He's the one I have bookmarked to give a call this summer for.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Seen the autometer (and other) bezels but would have to find out for certain that they can be made to work with the speedhut gauges that clamp to the back of the dash differently (threaded ring). You’d almost need two of them per gauge offset to give the threaded ring something to sit against. Then there’s a question if there’s enough thread on the gauge body.

I had the idea to find some properly sized pipe/tube and play with cutting some but it’s so far down on the priority list that it’ll likely never happen. :shrug:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I was worried about that. Wanted to talk to the builder and if it won't work build it like this with no bezels and enough spacing for the rings. Only difference is out 1/2" at drivers side and 1 to 1 1/4" at pass side. Enough to be able to see gauges, but not out so much that it becomes the total focal point of the dash. Talking about the kicker panel. https://sites.google.com/site/doubledfab/Home/jeep-cj-dashs

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Finishing up projects that were on the bench. Painted half doors and cowl vent cover. These probably will be for steel body build (other tread).

Attachments

• 20180228_120953_resized.jpg
    20180228_120953_resized.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20180228_121006_resized.jpg
    20180228_121006_resized.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 51
  • 20180228_121012_resized.jpg
    20180228_121012_resized.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 51

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
On the cj7 to cj8 project, I installed a vintage air heat/a/c unit. They take the air from inside the cab. In winter it helps give more heat in the cab. On the other cj8 project that's waiting for a engine I rebuilt the heater box. Planning on in the future doing the same. Tired of leaks, and lack of heat.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I kind of figured it had something to do with the HVAC.
I have plenty of heat but that’s here in NC. Even at 32* and a soft top it wasn’t so bad. Being from outside Canton originally I know that cold you’re going to be trying to stay warm in.