• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

The Banana Boat

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I am going to start a thread for my son's 67 Impala SS 327. We picked it up this past October. We had some electrical issues to get it to pass inspection. That is done. We are having some issues now and I am sure we will have more, so that is the reason for this thread. Ugh.

Pic
a119db2dd9f54157c0cf43ceec1e5192-1.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
So last weekend we put new plugs and wires on it. We have an HEI to install bit I did not want to tackle that yet. I thought the plugs and wires would be a quick job.

Now we have an issue we did not have before. Once it warms up, it won't go up a hill. Ot loses all power. It is running rougher than I remember as well.

I have triple checked that the plug wires are connected, but who the heck knows. Tomorrow I am going to undo it and redo it. But before I do, any ideas would be appreciate it.

I will be testing the spark at each plug. I have one of those lights that goes between the wire and the plug. Maybe that will tell me something.

Other symptoms? It hesitates a lot. Then slows to a crawl. Then cuts off. If I pump the brakes I can keep the engine going for a bit, but it will die. I can start it up again and it behaves for a minute or to allowing me to get to 25 again, but then starts the crap over again.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Power brakes? If so, it sounds like the booster may be the source of a bad vacuum leak.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Yeah. Power brakes. I will see about the booster.

Had not thought about vacuum. How can I test it?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Yeah. Power brakes. I will see about the booster.

Had not thought about vacuum. How can I test it?
You may have just knocked the vacuum line to the booster off. Check it at both ends and make sure it's attached. I'm not sure of the test procedure, but I'm sure there is one.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
You may have just knocked the vacuum line to the booster off. Check it at both ends and make sure it's attached. I'm not sure of the test procedure, but I'm sure there is one.

Thanks. That was what I was thinking last night after you posted. Hopefully it is that easy.

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
So last weekend we put new plugs and wires on it. We have an HEI to install bit I did not want to tackle that yet. I thought the plugs and wires would be a quick job.

Does it have points? if so check the gap and check for arcing. If they're burnt it could be a bad condenser.

Now we have an issue we did not have before. Once it warms up, it won't go up a hill. Ot loses all power. It is running rougher than I remember as well.

I have triple checked that the plug wires are connected, but who the heck knows. Tomorrow I am going to undo it and redo it. But before I do, any ideas would be appreciate it.

I will be testing the spark at each plug. I have one of those lights that goes between the wire and the plug. Maybe that will tell me something.

Other symptoms? It hesitates a lot. Then slows to a crawl. Then cuts off. If I pump the brakes I can keep the engine going for a bit, but it will die. I can start it up again and it behaves for a minute or to allowing me to get to 25 again, but then starts the crap over again.
The start back up and gets to 25 before it acts up sound like fuel filter. The pump the brakes and it helps keep it going tells me your adding air by pumping the brakes(that's what booster do when pumped) Which goes back to lack of spark, excess fuel.

When it starts back up do you have to pump it to add fuel or hold the peddle down to add air?

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA

When it starts back up do you have to pump it to add fuel or hold the peddle down to add air?

No. i can turn the key and it will start. Then it would go for a few (25 or so) feet before I need to start giving a lot of gas to keep it going.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Here are some pics before I start any investigations. No vacuum hoses seem to be off. They don't look great either. But if anyone sees anything funky, it would be appreciated.

593ca697472259d13013156901592548-1.jpg

a544c0176cbbee20def2709c5576385e-1.jpg

315976c7e0e3acecc6fd4d70117de6ac-1.jpg

f7efd6a3e30da2d8f478959c44ea13af-1.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Oh and here is a side shot. The body needs some help too. But there are higher things on the priority list right now.

a56117fa67167de912c81c56a5a6c64a-1.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I seem to be getting spark at the plugs that I have checked so far (2,4, and 6). The manifold is getting too hot to get my hands near right now.

So here are some videos I took. The first is me idling the 327 and then bumping the throttle. When I open it up fast, as if mashing my foot on the gas pedal, it about stalls.

https://vimeo.com/192253709

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
So this second clip is from inside the car while idling and putting the pedal to the floor for real.

https://vimeo.com/192253825

Honestly even the idle sounds worse than it did a few weeks ago.

Any ideas are appreciated.

When messing with the throttle on the carb, I hear a lot of air getting sucked in. But is that just because the air cleaner is off and it is air coming in to the carb, or am I hearing a vacuum leak? It seems to be coming from the carb.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
So I took of the bent up hose coming off the back of the carb and revs went up and obviously cutting off air to the hose stalled the engine down to a lower rpm.

https://vimeo.com/192254923

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Anyone know why that vacuum hose is connected to the transmission pan?

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Vacuum modulator.

You need to check your fuel pressure. It's LEAN.

Sent from my SM-G920V

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
The vacuum line should go to the vacuum modulator, not the pan. if they go bad it is possible to suck transmission fluid into the engine.

Attachments

• vacuum mod.JPG
    vacuum mod.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 85

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
The vacuum line should go to the vacuum modulator, not the pan. if they go bad it is possible to suck transmission fluid into the engine.

Yep. That part. I went and got new hoses (one with a 90* bend and ordered a new modulator. Should be there to pick up tomorrow. So that and the hoses to the carb will be new.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Here it is on my powerglide

feb1b1c46eb71e6cf1019b1976204b66-1.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Well I guess I don't have a powerglide. The modulator for a powerglide screws on with a 1" open wrench. This one does not. It spin and spun. Until I noticed the little bolt and clip. Undid that and it slid right out.

Here is a pic of the old vs the new powerglide one. I just ordered a new on. Advance wanted to charge me $106 for the Turbo Hydramatic one. The one I got was only $22. Wth?

I called Auto Zone and they had one for $11.99. Will be in the store tomorrow.

42b021294bc884e92d97ca5ccccb57e9-1.jpg