• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

The Banana Boat

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
So I took a video just a few minutes ago. In the second video, is the little hammer thing that gets pushed out of the way by the rod the part that locks it into park? I assume so. I touched it and it released. That was before the video. I was able to turn the driveshaft (still not connected to the differential). So that tells me that it is no longer in park. And it moves when the rod goes in and out. So that is good. In the third video, I try to show how much play it has in it front to back. Not side to side like it is supposed to move. Is it supposed to have that much play, or is this a problem?

Ok. Videos on my facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/DainWilson/posts/10209910169603272

Last edited:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
So what changed from stuck in park to now where it's operational?

Not sure what you call it. But there is a lever thingie that is pushed to the side when the shifter is all the pay up in park. I bumped that and it sprung back to a resting position. Now when the shifter is moved from park to any other location, it moves from pushed aside to normal position. I hope that makes sense.

Were you able to see any of the videos? I move it with my finger in the third video. Not sure if it should have any play or not.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Well. Put the pan back on. Filled it. Took it off the ramps. Started it up. It DOES come out of Park and go back in. Too bad no e of the other gears work. It is like I am in Neutral no matter what I do.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
You either don't have enough fluid or the filter came off (or the wrong one if it's new).

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
You either don't have enough fluid or the filter came off (or the wrong one if it's new).

I put 5 of the 6 quarts into it and it is a little above the fill line. I was wondering if I did not get it all out of the tranny or if it needs to settle in or get sucked into the rest of it. If the fluid needs to circulate, how do I get it to do that without running the car? Or will it if I just let it idle?

I did not take the filter off. I should have, but did not. This is the style I have in there.
IMG_7467.jpg

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
So after the snow goes away, I will warm it up and cycle it through the gears and top it off as needed and see if that gets the fluids circulated. Hope so.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Update. After about an hour of moving the shifter it finally engaged getting the fluids to get sucked up. So we are going to give it a test drive. Thanks alot to mysunnshine for talking me off the ledge.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Wow. It has been a while since I updated this. The car is really ticking me off. After a cracked windshield, we tried replacing it. Turnes out there was bad rust in the lower channel on the cowl. Took some fabrication $$ toget that fixed and get a windshield. It failed inspection for a few things, including exhaust. Put in headers and new exhaust. Fixed a couple of other items. Failed again for a hole in the floor board in the rear.

Took it to a different shop and they failed me for a bad motor mount, loose tie rod end and a missing bushing on the suspension. Ordered parts and waiting to put those on. Not motivated. But maybe I can get these replaced and get it to finally pass i spection so I can focus on the CJ. And the f250 I picked up as a tow pig.

6E5BD8EF-D861-4DC2-85B8-20B9477A4075.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
On the bright side, you're knocking things off the to-do list, right? It's looking good...

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Yes we are. Tonight was tie rod ends. The boy got the passenger side done. Took too long and was not able to get to the driver side. He was shocked that it took an hour to remove one cotter pin holding a castle nut that had been on for about 50 years.

8EF6224C-5B68-4BEE-AC1C-A686DEB091C9.jpg

DA1EFD13-C659-45DC-823C-69E7E3500EF3.jpg
Dumb phot orientation makes it look like he is upside down

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Been a few months. Got the ugly beast to pass inspection after replacing some tie rod ends and some bushings (and a fuel return line hose and clamp).

Things were good until it started to randomly NOT start. Crank but no spark. Then for some reason it would fire. Then last week, it just stopped. Dragged it home.

53BD58CF-9EDA-428E-BF1E-0A3AB9451FC8.jpeg

Then since no spark was coming out of the distributor, and we had an HEI on the shelf sitting there for over a year, we decided to install it.

Went by all of the direction, including a new 12g wire from the firewall connector to the coil.

Still no firing. We have 12v on that new wire going to the HEI. No spark.

Even without the timing being set, it should still provide a spark, right? I have looked at countless youtube videos about testing the parts and the whole. Replaced the control module under the rotor with a spare I had. No change. Tested the resistance of the coil. Within spec. Even hooked up the HEI outside of the car to a battery and turned it manually to see if it sparked. Nothing.

I am about to go buy another new HEI and see if it works. I am a bit frustrated right now.

And Payton keeps piling up new parts, like paint, cowl hood piece, other odds and ends. AND THE CAR WON’T EVEN START!!!!!

Ugh

Here is what it looks like with new custom cut plug wires and stupid clear HEI that may get pulled and replaced. Maybe the auto parts place will let me buy one and return it if it does not work.

Am I testing the HEi correctly by running a wire from the battery to the BAT connection on the HEI, run a wire from the neg terminal to the base then to the carbon button on the inside of the disconnected cap to see if spark exists when I turn the gear?

CB7A4E1E-9EC1-4CC1-A9B3-9BCE4D96905D.jpeg