• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

The big red one aka it needs a name

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Spent a little bit of time poking around (with things getting ready to start opening back up a bit, the next phase of house reno is about to begin to create the new mud/laundry room & use the original entrance, so I've been doing some prep work to get ready for that.). Looks like the front wheel bearings are bad (was getting some 'death wobble' on my forays, ball joints look like they were replaced, but axle u-joints look like they've been there for more than 1k miles, little bit of wiggle in the bearings on the passenger side, fair amount on the driver side, so I'm going to replace all of it as well as the Rugged Ridge lockouts; ordered a set of Superwinch lockouts (have MileMarkers on JPSK8 & Warn Premiums on 1Last7...I like to try out different stuff & now I have 3 test-beds). Also got a MORE HD box mount & Red Head box (the old school slow ratio just wasn't working for me & I have newer vehicles & upgraded boxes on my other old heeps...H1 on JPSK8 and older AGR on 1Last7). Probably going to order up a Gen-Right tank with the YJ pump/sender port for when I install the Sniper since the stock tank leaks when you fill it & that gives me a clean in-tank pump install...two birds, one pricey stone.95919644_10219773154458002_7506055580029550592_o.jpg

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
How do you like the 3.73 gears with the aw-4 and 32" tires?

The jury is out at the moment, doesn't feel like the TV cable is adjusted properly, so it's shifting a bit late & sloppy & is slow to downshift for acceleration. Once up to cruising speed, it's fine. They should work well together once I dial it in...basically behaves like a TF999 which my other Jeeps have.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
'Feel' is much better...been driving modern vehicles with thicker steering wheels for too long. I had the guy make a black/blue stitching one for JPSK8 too. Stumbled across the horn button on eBay & couldn't resist :P I commuted in it today, got lotsa looks...probably mostly folks trying to figure out what the heck it is. :unsure:20200517_084917.jpg

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Didn't realize my new door & windows were being made in PR, which is shutdown. So...if I play my cards right & buckle down on finishing the painting & electrical in the master bathroom, I can get in some Jeep wrenching time. 8-)

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The jury is out at the moment, doesn't feel like the TV cable is adjusted properly, so it's shifting a bit late & sloppy & is slow to downshift for acceleration.

I have fought this a bit on and off, having to “reset” the cable every so often to let it readjust (maybe once a year). My issue is more that the torque converter starts to unlock randomly at highway speed and that’s cured immediately when I reset it. I’ve always thought that it would be nice to have the ability to lock that thing down 100%.

I find my adjuster button/lock gets really hung up with dust from wheeling.

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
I have fought this a bit on and off, having to “reset” the cable every so often to let it readjust (maybe once a year). My issue is more that the torque converter starts to unlock randomly at highway speed and that’s cured immediately when I reset it. I’ve always thought that it would be nice to have the ability to lock that thing down 100%.

I find my adjuster button/lock gets really hung up with dust from wheeling.

Dusty is a way of life here since most of our road is unpaved. My wife hasn't driven her JLU in about 2 months & it shows (she's famous for whipping out a micro-fiber while I'm driving & wiping down the dash of her vehicles). The Weber & a few other items were recent changes & hadn't been dialed in properly, not sure what carb was on it before (the FPR & return line aren't even hooked up & there a few other 'dead' items in the engine bay that I'd like to get to sooner than later). I've got a Sniper EFI sitting on the shelf, so I'll be messing with that TV cable again later. Gen Right tank is sitting at the cargo shipper in FL right now...deciding whether I'm going to put it in this one (run it with a YJ in-tank pump/sender assembly) or put it in JPSK8 and put JPSK8's tank in this one with the external pump. It seems I keep creating more decision points for myself. :unsure: Looking at wheels too...these Method's just aren't tickling my fancy. I'm avoiding going by the mechanic who has the project '86 CJ-7 that he offered to me...just don't need that trouble/temptation right now. :ROFLMAO: My ADHD is raging, so I'm due for a moment of reflection & inventory this weekend (and I still have my '86 CJ-7 sitting in OH that I need to make an engine decision on...started going down the stroker rabbit hole...ugh). Bottom end of the 4.2 that was in it needs redone, original 4.2 is seized (oil starvation while idling in the driveway 18 years ago...where does the time go?)...I think I've settled on rebuilding the short block & pitching the original engine...really no place to go fast here, just one stretch of 50 mph two-lane from mid-island to the west end, so trying to be sensible.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I still have my '86 CJ-7 sitting in OH that I need to make an engine decision on.

I happen to have a really nice 360 with a four barrel intake and a Holley carb sitting right here just dying for a suitable home ;)

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Gearing up to get back at this one. Discovered that the gas tank leaks when it's filled all the way, so I'm going to swap in the one from JEEPSK8 (I bought a Gen-Right tank & YJ pump for it a while back) & I ordered the in-tank pump setup from Novak (current setup is a 4.0 with the MPFI removed, so it has an external pump since the 4.0 has no provision for a mechanical pump). Going to run new lines as well & install the Sniper EFI & then I'll deal with the TV cable adjustment. Ended up missing the St Paddy's parade this year (found out it was back on after 2 years with only one week to get ready), so I borrowed a YJ from one of my friends in the Jeep club who bought a Gladiator a few months ago so that I could participate.