• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Transmission trashed

Oakley

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cumming
State
GA
So I have a T5 in my 84 scrambler and a Dana 300 transfer case behind a little 4 cylinder. Transmission is trashed. My guy working on it says I should put an ax15 in it . But if I want it back together to take it to nationals I should just find another T5 and go with it.
1) does anyone have one they want to sell
2) if I get an ax15 he thinks because it’s a 4 cylinder I’m going to have to find a bell housing. And he’s not sure the splines are the same. Any suggestions
 
I would rebuild the T5 you have, especially behind a four cylinder. IIRC the 258 T5's use a different input shaft and gear ratios so not a direct swap. The cost to swap and adapt an AX15 to work behind a four cylinder probably not worth it. Maybe swap engines and AX15 at same time :twocents:
 
I would rebuild the T5 you have, especially behind a four cylinder. IIRC the 258 T5's use a different input shaft and gear ratios so not a direct swap. The cost to swap and adapt an AX15 to work behind a four cylinder probably not worth it. Maybe swap engines and AX15 at same time :twocents:
I have a 4.0 motor out of Cherokee but that seems like a lot of work to swap out. I also have a 258 in my blue scrambler but it has a T4 that would be easier to swap engine and transmission. I just hate to spend $1,500 to rebuild the T5
 
The T4 is a T5 without overdrive, so no real upgrade there.

Even behind a 4 cylinder, the T5 won’t survive with oversized tires.

If you have plans for an engine swap in the future, the AX-15 would be a good choice, but will require different bellhousings for the 4 cyl vs an amc pattern 4.0 or v-8.

Is there anything specific broken in the T5?
 
The T4 is a T5 without overdrive, so no real upgrade there.

Even behind a 4 cylinder, the T5 won’t survive with oversized tires.

If you have plans for an engine swap in the future, the AX-15 would be a good choice, but will require different bellhousings for the 4 cyl vs an amc pattern 4.0 or v-8.

Is there anything specific broken in the T5?
Input shaft bearings 3 gears have teeth broken secondary shaft has a lot of wear synchronizers are pretty chewed up 250,000 miles on it
 
Buy a replacement and have it shipped?

1E98BA96-12BB-4CCA-968D-68E90AE06C5E.jpeg
 
Jasper has a T4, might require a different driveshaft.

EC03C181-E451-48DA-8EC0-5F229FFB6540.jpeg
 
Buy a replacement and have it shipped?

View attachment 113668
Look like car-part.com. not sure I would buy a salvage yard Jeep t5.
Novak or Advance Adapter used to offer a "world class" T5. My '90 Mustang(was my DD for 17 years) has a world class t5 and was only rebuilt once is 98,000. It was beat on regularly(11.44@119 lifting the front end at the track with slicks and nitrous).
 
World class T-5 has almost nothing in common with a Jeep T-5.

One can handle abuse, the other is rather fragile.
 
Thanks for all the advice guys. I actually found someone to rebuild the one I have if I haul his excavator on my lowboy about 30 miles. I like trading. Might not be the best transmission but it’s good enough for a run around town scrambler.
 
Go with the AX15. I have a 4.0 in mine right now and a T5. As soon as the T5 blows up, i'm about 90% sure I will be putting in an AX15. If I decide to go auto, it'll be a Turbo 400 with more than likely an atlas bc of the clearance issues you run into with a Turbo 400/dana 300.
 
Back
Top