• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Tuffy console question

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
I am looking for a console, the one I have is 30yrs old, made of Cedar, it really is kind of cool. The driving factor is putting in a new stereo. I bought a Vintage Vibes authentic looking one, mounted it in the dash and it only lasted about a six months. So to put in a newer style, I want to lock it and keep it dry in a console. Security is a minimal issue. If it locks, it keeps someone from knowing what is in there, so i am open to some of the the cheaper makes of consoles if anyone has a recommendation.

My main question is, will the 10 in fit between most seats. Will do a cheap upgrade next year to whatever economy seats I can find, like bestop or similar.

Also, how does the Tuffy console LED light accessory work, where does it mount?

Quadratech has free shipping all day today, no minimum order.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Yes, just confirmed that I have that one. It fit between my old OEM high back seats and it also fits between my aftermarket seats, but it's a little tighter.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I picked up an "iVault" copy of the tuffy and like it a lot. it came with a radio, but it is long done as I wanted to go with Bluetooth and satellite. I did have to replace the lock and bought one from Tuffy as their locks are sturdier.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/14026_215.htm

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
I've had no problems with my RetroSound dash-mounted unit in almost 2 years. I feed it FLAC files from a Hi-Res player through the Aux jack. I installed an Intra-Pod from Select Increments because it holds an 8" subwoofer. Just another option...not a lot of space to mount a head unit in it though. I'd be happy to go out and measure the internal storage area if you'd like.

boomboom.jpg

After.jpg

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I went with the 8” Tuffy. It fits well between my Mastercraft seats, 10” would have been too tight.

Griff04

CJ-8 Member
City
Albany
State
Ga
I went with the 8” Tuffy. It fits well between my Mastercraft seats, 10” would have been too tight.

I went with the Tuffy 10” in mine, sorta wish I’d gone with the 8, it’s tight but it works.

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
I have a tuffy, think it's the 10, but not sure came in another CJ I had years ago and decide i needed it in the 8 instead. I had my CB in there for the longest time. Switched it out with a radio a few years ago and also made it into a stand alone system. I made up some quick disco's for the power and ground, cut out holes for some 4.5 marine speakers and added an antenna to the back side of it. It's also mounted with slide release hinges so I can take it out when ever I want. I did all this because I didn't have a top or doors at the time and lived in an area that was prone to jackass kids stealing stuff.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I have an 8" Tuffy (was the only size they offered to fit a CJ back then). A 10" would probably fit okay, but I like the small gap between the seats as a convenient place to store maps etc... I've never used it for a stereo , but it seams like it would work well to protect it.

As for other options, I can't make any suggestions other than make sure it is sturdy. The factory console had a lock too but any 5 year old could pry it open with a screw driver (even if it isn't locked... ask me how I know).

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
If you are thinking about changing seats at all go narrower than wider. I had the wide one in my Scrambler and when I but in different seats I had to take it out and get a smaller one. Not sure what it is I would have to get the Scrambler down of the rack to measure.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
FYI....I built simple wooden boxes, 8” and 10” wide and test fit them between the seats. That’s how I decided on the 8” for mine. It was simpler than ordering the wrong one.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I have both. The 10" is TIGHT with factory seats. I have an 8" in my tan '7, and got the 10" for my green '7. The 8" is a much better fit.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I have an 8" Tuffy in my tan Scrambler, 10" Tuffy in my Red Scrambler, both with factory seats. I prefer the 10". It is a bit tight getting to the seat belt plugs, but the added storage capacity is well worth this minor inconvenience :twocents:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I just get tired of having to dig between the seat and console to get the wife's seatbelt fastened. I've been meaning to get some of those seatbelt extenders to make the female plug sit up a little higher.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
I just get tired of having to dig between the seat and console to get the wife's seatbelt fastened. I've been meaning to get some of those seatbelt extenders to make the female plug sit up a little higher.

I don't know if I would give up the 10", but it is a pain when the seatbelt falls forward and gets stuck when I fold the seat forward and back. Need to add something to fix this problem. I'd be interested if the extenders would help.

Last edited:

neilconnolly79

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Mankato
State
MN
I don't know if I would give up the 10", but it is a pain when the seatbelt falls forward and gets stuck when I fold the seat forward and back. Need to add something to fix this problem. I'd be interested if the extenders would help.

I learned when I need to flip the seats forward to always pull the belt out all the way buckle it then move the seat. Then when it goes back i just pull the buckle back up and it stays where it should be till next time.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
If you read my analysis of the photo orientation problem you would know I like to get down into the weeds and was thinking of doing something complicated to fix this. However, the simplest solutions are usually the best ones. Thanks!

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the 8" just to give me a bit more room for the hips, and to reach in beside the seat. I assume that most stereos will fit it.

It looks like the Tuffy has a strap that the female side of the seat goes through to hold it in place. i don't know if that addresses the issue of having to dig in to get to the it. Thanks again, you guys have a great Christmas!

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Thanks for the input. I think I will go with the 8" just to give me a bit more room for the hips, and to reach in beside the seat. I assume that most stereos will fit it.

It looks like the Tuffy has a strap that the female side of the seat goes through to hold it in place. i don't know if that addresses the issue of having to dig in to get to the it. Thanks again, you guys have a great Christmas!
Order the extensions for the inboard side of the belts. They’re cheap and the time to put them in is when you’re doing the console. Also, another thing that I did was to raise the console a bit with blocks of 2 x 4. I like it a little higher to rest my elbow on it.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I installed extensions in mine for the seat belt and use the strap on the side of the console to keep them in place.