• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Well finally start building

Been striping paint and sanding. My 80 gal Ingersoll pressure switch decided it didn't want to play anymore so currently work on hold. It's ok made me go back to working on my deck. Received my reman window frame today. And folks are right QC is low on their list of things but with a little fiddling she should be fine. Now as for shipping. Is Fed Ex trying to go out of business. Thank goodness the frame manufacturer placed sticky foam on the corners. The box was totally destroyed I don't mean damaged I mean destroyed. Inspected the frame and overall ok a couple small things but I can fix them.
It is a fairly large piece but not heavy so WTF. Anyway mounting holes appear workable inside dimensions are close to original frame. Jeep 77.jpg
 
Yes stripping and sanding .I couldn't help myself had to mount half door.Jeep 83.jpg
 
Wasn't looking forward to stripping this beast. No chem stripper (to fiddley). JJeep 86.jpgust sanding and a couple green things I bought off Amazon. They actually did ok so far. Don't last long but long enough.
 
Hey just a point of interest if you folks have a bead blaster. I've had mine (skat blast) for 20+ years love it. I've changed nozzle's many times (ceramic, carbide, steel. Media also glass, aluminum oxide). Performance over time has gotten slower and media didn't change results. Decided to do a rebuild New nozzle head and pieces but also siphon tube (check picture). Top tube original (with a lovely hole in the wrong spot).
Not really build subject but hope this could save folks some aggravation.




Bead blaster repair.jpg
 
Bead blaster working like a champ. Working on cleaning fasteners (what a pain). Cleaned / stripped body panels were taking up space so I mounted them plus it makes me feel better.

Jeep 88.jpg
 
It is motor time. Had to move engine from under deck to shed (not garage because limited floor space and body work being done). Problem was how to get it there and inside. After much thought I came up with this. Picture is after we disassembled and moved out for another pressure wash. Cylinder bores showed normal wear and measurements are well within spec (no machine work required. Crank journals measured to spec. Number one connecting rod journal had a couple marks that were suspect. Brought crank to Titian machine in Ocala to get cleaned up. Wanted to pick up Titians master rebuild anyway. Building motor to basically stock they recommended there RV cam (just a little more low end torque). We port matched the stock intake manifold and stock cast iron exhaust. Carburation is being handled with a Howell EFI.




Jeep 96.jpgJeep 94.jpg


Jeep 92.jpgJeep 93.jpg
 
Hello. Titian finished my crank. Polish almost made it but their recommendation was 0.010 / 0.010 (rod / main). I have to go pick up the flywheel they gave it a clean up. So all motor parts are ready for assembly BUT. My Jag project needed some Love (I know it's not jeep but I'm talking paint). I originally painted the Jag base coat clear coat (gunmetal gray metallic). All went well until the clear (and my non experience of painting showed up) Solvent pop was the main issue (runs are fairly easy to fix in clear coat). So back to sanding and sanding. Results looked pretty good for a year then the Florida sun decided to give me a wakeup call Paint / clear started cracking. It was time for a redo. Sanded top surfaces to bare metal (hood, roof, and trunk) fenders doors and such 600 grit. Primed top surfaces (bare metal stuff) with (Kirker) 2k primer.
I decided not to go with base coat clear coat this time around and go with single stage gun metal metallic. Thinking it might reduce my chance for beginner mistakes.
Well guess what (painting is like golf). So anyway I ended up with a nice color but orange peel from hell. Contacted Kirker and I must say these folks are top notch. Super nice to have a person that speaks English and understands not everyone has a paint booth. They recommended my next steps (more fucking sanding 600) and paint application.
So in short for all us home builders when things don't go as planed.

JUST KEEP SANDING
And tell your kids Orthopedics is a careerJeep 97.jpg choice.
 
Back
Top