• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What do you think about this?

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Not sure this is exactly the place to post this but, here goes. Moderators feel free to castrate me if necessary, but leave a little for the woman.
I'm getting ready to get started on the Scrambler. Just shopping a few parts, mainly the tub. I don't want to spend years on my rusted out metal repairs, so heres the plan.
I have a 93 YJ, from Washington State, (my daily driver) perfect tub and frame, fresh 4.3 stroker, Dynatrac 44 (new 456 R&P's , bearing etc) axles front and rear, ARB lockers in each with compressor, NP231 with Terra low, AX15 tranny that is also fresh. I want to order a TDK frame set up for the 4.0 and YJ springs and axles and TC and tranny. It can be done, just waiting to hear final price from TDK. My YJ runs great and it goes down the road sweet, but I have been attempting to sell it, to fund the Scrambler build, so there lies the problem. I originally asked 9300 for my YJ and everyone around here thinks I'm crazy , but I have over 10K into axles alone. If I were to sell it for my now basement price of 8700, I still could not replace the axles, never mind the 4.3 or NP231 etc. I can use the Warn front and rear bumper and most if not all the wiring harness. So am I wrong to take my YJ apart to build an extremely nice (in my mind anyways) Scrambler. The YJ has been for sale sense I went to Mich, this Sept and I am sick as hell of talking to know it all knuckle heads about how YJ's are only going for 3K.
I'm seriously consider doing the Scrambler with my drive line. OK, so what do you guys think? Let me have it ! But it will cost a lot more to build it like I have the YJ right now. I am thinking to just do it.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I would build the Scrambler with your YJ parts, which you already have and are in known great condition :twocents:

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Today I had a guy offer me 2500 for the shell with the paper Title . May do that instead. Having to put it all together and buy the parts sounds like it would interfer with the 8 build. A rust free tub and frame up here in Mass. Is worth that money and he has tons of parts. He was even willing to bring up axles to the farm, to roll it up on the trailer.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Today I had a guy offer me 2500 for the shell with the paper Title . May do that instead. Having to put it all together and buy the parts sounds like it would interfer with the 8 build. A rust free tub and frame up here in Mass. Is worth that money and he has tons of parts. He was even willing to bring up axles to the farm, to roll it up on the trailer.
Even better.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I'm in the process of doing it with a cj7 that was built, TDK frame and all. Has a fiberglass tub that I was going to replace with new tub. Couldn't sell it for the parts I have in it so moving it over to a cj8 build. Some time later in the year I'll sell the frame and tub to recoup some of the cost.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
That sounds just like this project. When you add the Wranglers NWPS twin battery box and remote switch, 190 amp alternate, warn front and rear bumpers, etc. Coming of the YJ, with five new 35 Mudd terrains and rims, it's not much of a choice. This way I sell the frame and tub and have 2500 for new springs and paint.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Several years ago we had a nice YJ, but that just wasn’t me. Simple, cut body at B piller, cut chassis and extend it, change to CJ dash and one piece front doghouse. Scrambler roll bar and Gr8Top half top and most people never even noticed. Biggest comment was people liked the YJ gas filler on my Scrambler. :thumbsup:

I like the fact someone is ready to take yours without much effort on your part.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Yeh, the guy who wants it restores older Jeep's, but this one he wants to make a wheeler out to flip and make money and he knows how important it is to start with no rust. I'm giving him everything metal, tub, doors, fenders etc. I'm removing the complete interior. I'm also keeping the hard top and soft top, so there will be a few more dollars there and they are easy to remove. He is also getting a great frame.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
He has a huge access to axles , motors etc, so I'm sure he will build something v8 with huge tires . Or maybe he will put it back together stock. YJ's are a funny market. Over the years I've own 5. My last was a 93, stock axles, bumpers, but had a nice winch and lift and 35's. Sold in a week for 200 more than I'm asking for this one with 10 k worth of axles and another 3-4 k in add on's. But the other one had great paint.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
If I owned a set of Dyntrac axles I would be keeping them no matter what, but that is just me.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Yeh Kane that's the biggest reason I wanted to do it this way. I've been out of work for a little over two years, so there is no way I'd be dropping that change for another set like this. And there is that drive to get one of my 8's done. It's not going to be a mountain climbing Billy goat, but I want a capable driver. That could hold it's own.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
TDK got back to me about a frame set up for my axles and drive line. $2550

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Hopefully that's with shipping. TDK frames are awesome. It's the one change I wish I would have done with the cj8 build. Don't realize the difference till you have them sit side by side.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Wow I had them quote a frame for my CJ 6 and it was $3000 plus shipping and if I sent them my old frame because they did not have a model they would give me $300 off the cost.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
No, they want another 500 for shipping so total would be 3050. The basic frame was 1900, but with my request for YJ spring mounts, 4.0 with np231 and ax15 mounts, it means more set up time for them . I get it, not a normal run for them and I get exactly the set up I need. That saves me a lot of time, trying to do all that on a stock Scrambler frame.

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
The transplant donor. Went out early this morning and looked at steering column, motor mounts (bullet proof mounts, 1 inch higher) location of steering box and angle from firewall for intermediate steering shaft. They all look very close, if not right on target. Wondering about drop pedals though. Any ideas ??

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    436.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    357.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 11

masscj2a

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Getting rid of the Old Man Emu 2 1/2 inch springs (not a fan) and going with Sky Jacker 4 inch double wrap soft rides. Getting rid of the shackles and going with high steer kit. Keeping the bumpers, swing tire, interior door panels, sun visors and hopefully the steering column and tuffy center box. And most if not all of the wiring harness, Dual battery kit. Hopefully the radiator, seeing as its new. Keeping the hoop and winch mount as well. Only thing I'm struggling with is going reverse shackle on front. I've heard both positive and negative about it. Had it in a few older military Jeeps, but nothing modern, doing high speed street driving. Pro's---Cons ??

Last edited: