• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What is the best replacement for front fender to buy?

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Found my big "how did I miss that" in my CJ6 project yesterday. Need to replace the right front fender. Knew it had been damaged but never tried to fit the flare. Its not going to work so back up and get a new fender. What is the best brand to order or does it make a difference?

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I guess I should add stock style.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I would try to find OEM, it will lessen the headaches. Most of the aftermarket ones all come from the same place - the factory in the Philippines, as far as I'm aware. They're all just branded differently.

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I very much disagree. I went through 4 sets of "mint" original fenders and not one was any good. They all looked great with no bubbling or rust until they were media blasted and revieled rust/pinholes everywhere. I ended up buying new aftermarket ones as a "buy it now" on eBay. Comparing them to the originals side by side I absolutely could not tell a difference. They fit perfect.

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
I would try to find OEM, it will lessen the headaches. Most of the aftermarket ones all come from the same place - the factory in the Philippines, as far as I'm aware. They're all just branded differently.

Cannot agree more with going OEM. I went through many aftermarket fenders on my 81 restoration. None of them fit right, holes didn't line up, and it seemed to be a lighter gauge metal. Now, I did have to go through a few OEM ones to find a nice solid rust free one, but it lined up perfectly. Remember the hole front clip is dependent on how the fenders fit. If they don't fit right the front grille wont be straight and you will chase your tail trying to make it fit correctly. Again, this is my opinion, others may disagree.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Seems like you might have good or bad luck with whatever route you choose.

You may have better luck with rust in our areas?

I decided on aftermarket just to stay away from rust, but we had a terrible time getting them lined up. They're still not perfect, but as good as we can get them.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Oklahoma City
State
OK
The aftermarket ones I bought fit well, but the passenger side flare area was not fully stamped. They sent me a replacement and same thing. Drivers side was fine.

20190526_011553.jpg

jeepben

Trail Rated
City
Geelong Australia
State
au
20200212_175621.jpgI am in the market for a new guard also.. I hit a kangaroo on my way home a while back

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I ordered an after market I will see how well it fits and looks, may put out a call to the locals and see if any onehas on laying around in case the new one is not good.