• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What to do.

kchapman86

CJ8 Surgeon
City
Clarksville
State
TN
I am new to this community and I have been browsing threads all over the place. I love the scrambler and am currently in the process of trying to get one, but I need to choose what I should do. I have the choice of getting a complete cj8 rolling chassis but the frame is really rough from the midsection back and would surely need to be rebuilt. I can get that for $700. I also have a complete cj7 I can get for $950 that I would lengthen and build to scrambler specs, but then there is also a cj8 nearby that has a rough tub and I am not sure of the frame for $4700. I am just wondering what you guys would suggest. The end product that I want is a diesel conversion...still looking for the engine I would use if any suggestions there... all around adventure rig. No major offroading but something that could handle the mild to moderate trails. Any suggestions are appreciated.

jeffs396

mini Scrambler
City
NE
State
OH
Welcome Keith! Great bunch of Jeepers here, you'll enjoy your time on the site!

If it were me I'd hold out for something less rusty, there are great bargains out there now with the economy the way it is. Be patient, they will come...

kchapman86

CJ8 Surgeon
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Well, I have found another one up in middle ky, it has some rust but it is overall good condition, it also comes with parts such as an amc 304 two more inline 6 cores axles and a few other odds and ends. And better yet, it is only 3800. Im gonna go check it out next weekend. and Ill check out the closer one then as well. Alot of driving coming up but thats what the wifes car is for. :D

kchapman86

CJ8 Surgeon
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Well, Ive got some pics of the on in central KY, but the dont seam to want to upload. HMM:(

Aeronaca

Legacy Registered User
City
Kingwood
State
Tx
If you are in question about which one to get just wait. I looked off and on for a CJ8 for about 2 years. I finally found what I was looking for in New Mexico. Very little rust. Basically jump in it and drove it back. I personally would rather have a rust free frame than anything else. Only thing really wrong with it is that it is a 4 cyl. It still runs really nice though.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Well, Ive got some pics of the on in central KY, but the dont seam to want to upload. HMM:(

Sorry for the trouble, this should be fixed soon. There's an issue with one of the server's drives.

kchapman86

CJ8 Surgeon
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Well, it looks like I'm going for the one in KY. I'm waiting to hear back from him. I've also found a 6.2L chevy diesel near me for $500. Its, the whole truck and I'm waiting on a reply on that. Hopefully I can get em both and get started on my project!!!

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Oh yeah...another 6.2 diesel guy...woohoo.

Truck