• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What trim level is my 81?

NHScrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Chester
State
NH
My 1981 Scrambler is far from original. Out of curiosity I was wondering if there is anything I am missing to figure out what trim level it is?
This is what I know:
From the vin and firewall tag 1981, Montana Blue, 258, T176
It has the holes on the rockers from the aluminum trim so I figure it is either a Renegade or a Laredo.
That's about it. It has been repainted and has no badging. It has no chrome grill overlay which could have been removed prior to paint. The original dash was replaced with a DD dash so I have no idea about factory gauge options or gauge surround. It has aftermarket seats, axles and wheels. Is there anything I am missing?

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Look on the firewall tag. You are looking for the interior trim code.

That will tell you if it is a Laredo or not. Not many ways to tell if it was a Renegade other than what options are on it.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
It has a Grant wheel but does have a tilt collum. Unfortunately with the extent of the modifications of this Jeep I don't know if it is original.
The trim info on the firewall tag will tell you the seats, which can be specific for Laredo.

What you're looking for is above the vin, in "number_letter_letter" format (5EB, for example). If the third digit (second letter) is a J, (eg 1EJ, 5EJ etc.), yours came with vinyl seats with vertical Italian purse straps, a Laredo designation.

If not, like @ag4ever said, all you can say is that it wasn't a Laredo.
12997767605_0eb20d3247_z.jpg

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
The trim info on the firewall tag will tell you the seats, which can be specific for Laredo.

What you're looking for is above the vin, in "number_letter_letter" format (5EB, for example). If the third digit (second letter) is a J, (eg 1EJ, 5EJ etc.), yours came with vinyl seats with vertical Italian purse straps, a Laredo designation.

Building on this response. If if the interior code ends in A, you know it was a base. If it ends in B, it could be a Renegade or base with upgraded denim texture seats. If it's B and has holes for factory rocker trim, then it's highly likely it was a Renegade.

NHScrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Chester
State
NH

12997767605_0eb20d3247_z.jpg
Thanks @walkerhoundvm for the detail explanation. So my tag reads 3EB so that means Blue, High Back Bucket, Vinyl-Denim. Not a Laredo. So would the side molding only come on the Laredo and Renegade?

NHScrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Chester
State
NH
Building on this response. If if the interior code ends in A, you know it was a base. If it ends in B, it could be a Renegade or base with upgraded denim texture seats. If it's B and has holes for factory rocker trim, then it's highly likely it was a Renegade.
Thanks @DeLuke it looks like it is probably a Renegade then. It does also have the holes in the floor for the side steps but I figure that was optional on all models because my 84 base model had them.

Adam.ferg13

City
Fort Smith
State
AR
I’m trying to figure out if my 1981 scrambler is a base or a renegade. The code on the firewall reads: 5EB can anyone tell me what trim level that is?

Attachments

• 1F230D10-9567-4B4B-8483-28791528D21E.jpeg
    1F230D10-9567-4B4B-8483-28791528D21E.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 9

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
From looking at post #5 I see that my code indicates a nutmeg interior, a bucket/high back seat style and vinyl denim seat material. But does any of this indicate whether it’s a renegade or a base?
You can look at Post number 6 for a little more detail. But, also with these being over 30 years old and probably multiple previous owners could have added or removed options to where you don't really know what it originally came with. I say, make it whatever you want it to be.