• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What's everyone got planned for "this winter" wrenching?

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
It was 65 and jeepin' weather hear today; but we're supposed to be in the 30s by Wednesday; and I'm pretty sure we're done with the nice mild weather for a bit. Usually this means it's time to get serious about our winter projects. I'll go first!

Swapping my 258/T5 combo for a Fuel Injected 4.0 / AX-15. I'd like to rebuild the T/C and drop in a 4:1 kit too....but not sure if thats "necessary".

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I know its not a thread without pix.

Donor was in a front end accident; alternator and PS pump both appear to have been contacted to some degree; so I've erred on the side of conservatism. New Alternator, PS pump, waterpump and thermostat. Changed the oil too (my son did) this weekend. Mounted this last weekend and rigged up with a makeshift radiator for a test fire. Starts and runs nice an smooth.

Exhaust manifold appears to be in pretty bad shape; probably replace this too (after I pull it). Hesco balancer and wiring harness and coil and pickup in my possession ready to go on........

front of new 40.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
It was mid 40's yesterday and I was able to strip wheels and run the hose... definitely not something we get in December around here... I know it is short lived as it was 20 this morning when I got up...

Have to work this all winter...

20171129_190834_resized.jpg

cb

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I am going to finally do the finish work on my full cage and properly paint it. Rebuild the throttle body on the fuel injection. Replace the distributor. Find out what is causing the rear disk brakes to drag and repair it. If I get all that done then I plan to do some work to my 61 Willys Wagon.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I found the right deal on a Detroit locker, so I'll probably tackle that this winter. I had intended to get a Tru-Trac... but the locker was too good to pass up.

Also, the SBC swap in my Jeep has a lot of shortcuts I need to sort out. It runs well, but some things are not quite right. For starters, it's got a short water pump, but some of the accessory brackets are for a long water pump. There are a lot of stacked washers and ground mounting tabs to get the v-belts almost lined up... but nothing lines up perfectly.

Fortunately, I have plenty of room to work at the front of the engine!

Ron84cj

Engine nerd
Lifetime Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
Nothing before the holidays. I'm too broke. Lol. After tax returns I would like to get started on re gearing my axles (amc 20 & Dana 30). I've never done it before so if anyone has some good tips or tricks it would be greatly appreciated. I'm going with 3.73s with Aussie lockers front and rear.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
pics of cage?

this is on my list a couple winters from now.....

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Had plans to redo my dash and install Speed Hut gauges, but .....

Need to swap out my T176 for a TF999. Once the Impala gets out of the body shop and can get inspected, and my daughter goes to FL so I can have a spare car again, I will start on the trans swap.

I also have a lunchbox locker to install into the rear. It will be a busy February. Assuming my dying clutch can last that long. Trying to linp it along rather than install a new clutch just to swap it out.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I think the same stuff I planned to do last winter...:rolleyes:

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Sounds about right... I'm planning to work on my front axle and maybe some electrical work... again.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
We will see how much I get done... Plan on pulling the 4.2/SR-4/D300 and replacing with a '89 TBI 4.3/700R4/NP241C. Also, adding to the roll cage for the front seat area. Then adding a clip behind the rear seat for the car seat to clip on.

Zodiac

CJ-8 Member
City
Macomb
State
MO
Maybe this winter I'll build a shop, so I can start some projects...!

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Plan on doing a complete rest/mod on a 62 CJ-5. Taking out the F-head and 90 and replacing with Dauntless, SM420, Dana 18. Complete body fix and paint. Have assembled all the parts that I need and the kid is coming over tomorrow to help with pulling the body and bringing in the new M38 frame.

raser13

Basic User
City
crystal city
State
MO
i plan to get the chevy 350 i got out a free suburban. once i figure out the wiring needed for the suburban throttle body. also planning to mate the good front half of my scrambler frame and attach the good half of a cj7 frame so i have one good frame to start my project on. and now that i have all the parts that i need i'm going to start slapping my AMC AMX 360, T-5 project together. to many projects, i need to hurry up and win the lotto so i can have the free time to work on them all. and have the money to buy the parts that i need. i never seem to have both at the same time.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
where did you get the cage from??? an what was the cost on it.

It is an extreme custom fab DIY cage. The price starts at $699 and goes up from her depending on DOM vs HREW tube and other options. I added the DOM, some gussets and a few extra tubes plus handles and seat belt bungs for the front and rear seats. You still need to cut to fit for your needs and to be honest I do not like the squared off look in the back but it was what I could work with at home since I wanted to do everything myself for this build. Other than that it is a nice kit for the money.

http://extremecustomparts.com/i-5045898-cj8-free-shipping-jeep-full-family-roll-cage-kit-cj8-scrambler.html