• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Winter Temporary Garage

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
I am one of the unlucky folks that lives in the NorthEast and does not have a garage. Normally I put the Jeep in a storage unit for the winter but this year I want to get some fairly significant work done. I am looking for a a temporary garage under $2k which can handle the snow load and has minimal room for work to be done (mostly interior type stuff). Anyone have good or bad experience with the ShelterLogic type solutions on the market?

MikeV

Always learning
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Monroe
State
NY
FWIW I used the harbor freight 10'x17' (think that was the size, maybe 10x20?) for 4 years before the ice finally bent the frame. Great deal for the $$ but I don't know if it's beefy enough for New Hampshire. Probably not what you need given your price range but maybe as auxiliary space? I've used it for lawn tractors, snow blowers, parts, bikes, etc. with no trouble. Never a drop of rain or snow on the scrambler while it was in there.

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
I used a taller shelter logic model made for SUVs down here in MA for a few years. I stored a non jeep project in it. It did not handle the snow and ice really well at all. In the first winter the weight of the snow ripped the canvas, then I had to use a tarp on top. It was a pretty redneck looking fix. I was always worried it would collapse on my project. The snow weight even bent some of the skeletal supports on the inside during the first winter. The zippers in the door didn't want to work in the cold, they either stuck up or down. I don't think I could recommend one to use in our harsh winters. I really felt like I spent a lot of money on something that I ended up trashing after two seasons. I'd probably go with a used shipping container over one of these popup garages. The buy in is higher, but they are more rugged and won't collapse under snow load. Just my first hand opinion, maybe someone else had a better experience.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I have used a lot of temporary garages in the snow. First, you have to clear off the snow regularly- it really doesn’t slide off on its own and will collapse if you let it accumulate.

0F22EFF1-B27D-4FCA-AE4A-99246C9756AE.jpeg

And be careful cleaning it off- the fabric gets somewhat brittle when cold. The zippers are hard to work especially if stretched tight- I had one that had a center zippers and a header rail that allowed the doors to slide apart. That worked well.

Second- you will be lucky if the fabric lasts over one season. This is one year old.

F049DA0D-630F-4670-A0AF-388F96FCD156.jpeg

I have re-covered them with tarps too. And even made one semi-permanent by sheathing it with roofing metal!

5747E77F-6E91-4EDC-AEA6-236C3B693B4C.jpeg

Lastly- make sure they are well anchored. In a good wind they make better sails than shelters. I drive rebar stakes into the ground and use ratchet straps to get it good and tight.

I have actually had really good luck with the Costco 10x20 units. They used to have a side door and windows too!

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
I've got a small tractor I'm keeping this winter in one of the $199 ShelterLogic units. I did a fair amount of research, and it strikes me that most complaints are based on people who didn't anchor them, didn't properly measure to set them up, and didn't keep the snow off. I bought extra stakes and have every pole staked down, and so far in our fall winds it's stayed put, but I did recently re-adjust the tension. They'll hold a little bit of snow but are definitely NOT rated for it. ShelterLogic does make snow-rated covers, but they are a significant upgrade and general require a special order; I figured by the time I was spending that much money I might as well do a real structure. I also considered painting the outside with FlexSeal to keep the UV light from destroying the material over time, but I read a story about a guy who did just that and it only made the snow accumulation worse since it wouldn't slide off at all, and it ended up getting brittle and cracking in the winter which damaged the tarp anyway.

People I've spoken to who use the Costco ones say to expect replacing the tarp every year. I saved $50 over the Costco one because I just wanted the one opening whereas the Costco version has several, plus the awning, etc. I figure if this one fails this winter or if I need to replace the tarp next year, I'll spend another $199 at Home Depot and add in the additional frame-supports to my existing structure. At some point I may decide to take the approach that Randyzzz did as well by adding roof sheathing (until I get to the point of being able to afford an actual structure for this thing).

MikeV

Always learning
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Monroe
State
NY
1000% what Randyzzz said. I cleared the snow off regularly but the weight of the snow and ice got it while we were away for the winter break. I also used heavy-duty stakes which anchored it well. The ones it came with were a waste of time.

Oakley

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cumming
State
GA
30 12 ft 4x4 x $20 each 10 bags quickcrete $8 each
14 pieces plywood $22 each (Roof gables) 10lb nails $20 hammer free as everyone has a hammer
So that’s about 1k 4 tarps for sides couple 2x4 each side to help support tarps
Now the most important and crucial part. 4 cases of your favorite adult beverage and invite 3 friends over to help you drink them best not to mention the building supplies until 1st case is consumed. Then casually mention it. This is exactly how my garage got built it lasted several years then I bought one of these

76C84D32-7AE3-4378-BFF8-2A4A8CD29A06.png