• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Won't idle at stop ligjt

Frenchy

City
Amarillo
State
TX
I got an 81 scrambler that I bought new my problem is when I drive from point A to point B and stop at a light it dies put in a new carb kit everything adjusted new vacuum hoses etc anyone have any ideas

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Could be a vacuum leak, at the intake/exhaust manifold for example. I assume the carb and vacuum hoses were done in an effort to fix the stalling, and not something that happened before the issue started?

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Hot, cold, any temp in between?

Fuel pump, fuel filter and filter orientation with appropriate return line (to rule out vapor lock) is where I'd check next. Then on to plugs, distributor, and timing.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
What condition is your timing chain and sprockets in ? Mine were very worn and loose years ago and mine was doing the same. Ran ok until I pulled up to a light or stop sign and just die.

Frenchy

City
Amarillo
State
TX
Hot, cold, any temp in between?

Fuel pump, fuel filter and filter orientation with appropriate return line (to rule out vapor lock) is where I'd check next. Then on to plugs, distributor, and timing.
I'll check those out thank you

Frenchy

City
Amarillo
State
TX
What condition is your timing chain and sprockets in ? Mine were very worn and loose years ago and mine was doing the same. Ran ok until I pulled up to a light or stop sign and just die.
I'll check them out, thank you

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Frenchy- This is a common issue caused by clogged idle pickup tubes in the Venturi. Super easy fix. To check for this condition, take off your air cleaner and, while the Jeep is idling, look down into the throat of the carb. If you see fuel “dripping”, one of the idle tubes is clogged. It’s easy to remove and blow out the passage without removing the whole carb.

I’m assuming you have the stock 258 and Carter Carb? This was a common occurrence with my Carter carbs and I got to where I could clean them out in under 5 min. I finally fixed the problem permanently by drilling them out. Here’s the link. PM me if you need any help: http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/amc_carter_carb_fix.htm

tom keyes

1981 CJ-8
City
Louisville
State
co
I know this is a bit crazy but I use a 10mm upper E string from my electric guitar to clean the pickup tubes when they get clogged like this. The round winding around the center wire make for a great way to clean them out. No drilling needed.

Last edited:

scramcraz

Basic User
City
lake jackson
State
tx
I think your guitar string is a good cleaning solution. I was always having to clean mine until I drilled them. That was like 4 years ago. Problem solved. YMMV