• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

You know another newbie question

BoDaddy

Basic User
Hey all,

Wow my first post. OK, so I don't have a CJ yet, but have been looking around. I have a couple of questions, before I buy something. Is there a difference between the different years? I have looked at an 84 CJ8 and talked with a guy who has an 81. What are the big differences? Is one year better than another in trying to find after market parts and modding it?
The 81 has had an I6 swap and the guy kept the hydraulic clutch in it. How sturdy are these over the mechanical ones?
Is there a good place to go to learn the basics of the 4x4? I am pretty mechanically enclined, I have restored a few mustangs and can work on all my cars. I don't know much about 4x4's....yet anyway. Before I buy something, I would like to learn about the basics, you know different parts and terminology that is unique to 4x4's.
Lastly a thanks a nice to meet you to zerotowow. Thanks for the birthday greeting, I got an email from them on my birthday yesterday, and that was before I had ever posted a single message.
Thanks in advance for all your help, it is really appreciated.

Shawn

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The biggest, and maybe the only difference between the years is the use of narrow-trac axles on the earlier CJ's. I believe that the first year of the wide-trac axles was 82. I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong there.

The wide-trac width is basically considered the narrowest really usable width for a CJ and many many people upgrade to wider axles than that.

If you're not going to do a lot of wheeling, you can get by fine with narrow-tracs, but once you get offroad much you'll really be wanting to get wider.

Your mileage may vary :D Welcome to the board!

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
Welcome on Board

I think Eric is correct on the axle change happening in '82. I think later in'82 after the 60 minutes article. I have an '83 and it has wide axles.

Also, I am sure once you get an '8 or whatever, you will get to know alot about 4x4's real fast :D. But that is part of what having a Jeep is about. If it doesn't need something done to it, what fun is that!!

And glad to have another member.

BoDaddy

Basic User
Thanks for the info

Thank you guys for replying back. I appreciate it. I did not know there was a difference in the axles. To start off with, we will be using the truck for camping and that sort of thing. Not big into rock crawling yet. No rocks where I come from, just mud!
Anyone have any take on the clutch?
Hey Kohldad, I used to live in Goose Creek when I was stationed out there. Down the road from The Oaks Plantation. Nice place.
Thanks again guys,

Shawn

scramblejim

Basic User
City
Augusta
State
WI
Im fairly sure all the CJs came with a mechanical linkage clutch, though I may be wrong and it may be specific to the transmission. My 81 has the T176 4speed (the prefered 4 speed transmission over the SR4 model) and Ive got mechanical linkages and hate it. Ive had alot of rust on the firewall where one of the pivots mounts, and Ive gotten alot of extra play from the metal "moving around"

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
I have an 81 with the sr-4 that is factory hydraulic. So it is not just on the wranglers. I think that it had more to do with the early 4cyl versus 6cyl as to which ones got the mechanical linkage versus hydraulic.

But that is just what I seem to rember.

Carl

BoDaddy

Basic User
Hmmm

Well the 81 I am going to go look at on Thursday has the hydraulic. The guy says it is the T-176, how can you tell? It has been sitting for about 6 months and the seals are gone on it. Oh well. If I buy it I'll have to figure out how to get it back down to Denver.

Shawn

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
And the work now begins!

Ain't it it great;)

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
You can tell the different types of tranny from the shifter. If it is one of the four factory types that came with the jeep.

In 81' they had four different types of shifter. The worst and weakest is the sr-4. It has the reverse on the left side and says to push down on the knob to get it into reverse. The t-4, t-5 are next in strength. They are the same case with one being a 4 spd and one a 5 spd. Both of these have a very distinct dog leg bent shifter. And the strongest of the 4 is the t-176. It will stand up to mild v-8 power and has a straight shifter from the floor to the knob.

Hope that this helps.

Carl

BoDaddy

Basic User
Thanks for the info

I'll have to print this out and take it with me. He says it is the T-176. This one is hydraulic shift. I'll have to bring a change of clothes with me. Can't be crawling under there in my uniform!
Thanks guys,
Shawn