• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1985 cj8 build

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
well I was crawling around my wife's new (or new to us) cj8 and I noticed that the lower shock mounts front and rear are on the spring plates. Why is this? it's a 1985 cj8! I would think the shock mounts would be the same as a cj7? I have a set of matching wide track 30front/44 rear out of a 1986 cj7 that I am going to put under the cj-8 and the lower shock mounts are welded on the axle front/rear. Is there a reason they had the lower shock mounts on the spring plates?
thanks,
7jeeps7kings

ps. sorry if this is a stupid question but cj8's are new to me!

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
On the front, they should be on the axle tube; like the '86 axles.

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
HUmmmmm!!!

I'll have to measure the axles. I thought it seemed weird to me! But again this cj-8 stuff is new. So the lower shock mounts should be welded on the axle in the front, and the rear lower shock mount should be located on the spring plate. thanks

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
well!

well I must have had a blonde moment! I measured and took a better look. The front axle does have welded lower shock mounts. and the axles measure out to be 54-56" wms-wms. so they are wide tracks. I realized that I mixed up the sway bar lower mount with the shock mount! I know .... dumb@$$. anyhow thanks! next I need to pull the dif. covers off and check the gear ratio's. I'm hopping for 3.54! but I'm sure being a 4.2L engine and automatic trans it's more like 3.04 or 2.73!!

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
7jeeps7kings said:
well I must have had a blonde moment! I measured and took a better look. The front axle does have welded lower shock mounts. and the axles measure out to be 54-56" wms-wms. so they are wide tracks. I realized that I mixed up the sway bar lower mount with the shock mount! I know .... dumb@$$. anyhow thanks! next I need to pull the dif. covers off and check the gear ratio's. I'm hopping for 3.54! but I'm sure being a 4.2L engine and automatic trans it's more like 3.04 or 2.73!!

3.04 gearing wasn't used in Jeeps. My bets are on 3.31 with the 258 & TF-999 auto. Keep us posted as to what you find.

Craig

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'll bet on 2.73... :rolleyes:

Welcome, gotta look to see where you posted the photos... you did post photos right? :D

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
bigwalton said:
I'll bet on 2.73... :rolleyes:

Welcome, gotta look to see where you posted the photos... you did post photos right? :D
Ditto, it's where mine started.

onesourcemike

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilmington
State
NC
I'll help you out bigwalt!!
307209809-1.jpg

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
here some more pic's

pic's will be coming here soon!
I'll bet you guys are right: 2.73 gears! I'll keep you posted.
my internet took a dive and I have been using my
work internet since! I should be back up and running 3/11/08!
but here is a pic of my 77 cj-7!
DSC00306.jpg

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
thanks.

I don't like to use my sawzall!
unless I have too!
I like the original look a lot.

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
also

I have another cj-8 question!
I was talking with another cj-8 owner.
and we were talking about axles.
he told me that he has a set of scout 44's under his scrambler.
and I asked him if he took his spring mounts outside the frame or if he
had them cut and custom made? he said neither! that they fit right in!
Now I know for a cj-5 or cj-7 you would have to do one or the other listed above! I haven't got my measuring tape out yet.. but I am sure a cj-8 frame is the same width has cj-7?? so you would have to do one or the other listed above to fit scout 44's under a cj-8 right??

Last edited:

SUCKYJUNK

SUCKYJUNK
City
New Lothrop
State
mi
Cool CJ 7, I think Scout 44 axles are an inch shorter and FSJ/Wagoneers 44 are longer than stock CJ 7's.

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
SUCKYJUNK said:
Cool CJ 7, I think Scout 44 axles are an inch shorter and FSJ/Wagoneers 44 are longer than stock CJ 7's.

No. Actually both are wider than CJ axles. Scouts are around 58-58.5", and narrow-track Waggy axles are 60.5" front/58.5" rear.

Scout front axles are not a bolt-in for a CJ, BTW.

Craig

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
1x1_Speed_Craig said:
Scout front axles are not a bolt-in for a CJ, BTW.

Craig
Ditto...The rear is actually pretty easy, though. You just need to weld spring perches in the right places. The front is whole different deal and not easy to get it to work right.