• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1985 cj8 build

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
finally the internet is up and running at my home!

here's the pic's I promised.
thanks,
7jeeps7kings

feb2008022-1.jpg

feb2008021.jpg

mypics073.jpg

mypics071.jpg

DSC00445.jpg

DSC00447.jpg

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
7jeeps7kings said:
i can't wait till the weather breaks!
Almost 70 here in central Va; so I washed the Scrambler today...:D

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
we were at 58 last night. the snow is melting and the grass is almost visible! hehe

John N said:
Almost 70 here in central Va; so I washed the Scrambler today...:D

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
well I haven't post up any info here for some time. but here is an update on the cj8. the cj8 is in the garage right now:

DSC00625-1.jpg

I'm currently in the process of selling a bunch of my jeep parts. so that I can come up with some money to really start digging into this jeep. I am selling the full hardtop and doors off this jeep and bunch of other parts. I have them posted here on cj-8 and jeepsunlimited.

Besides the selling I have been buying also. I have bought: 4"yj procomp lift, windshield frame, seats, and a set of axles.

heres pic's of my axles. I came across a wide trac 30/44 that I couldn't pass up.

DSC00715-1.jpg

DSC00716-1.jpg

I had to go back to my woodshop days. I need to make wheel carts to move the axles around my limited spaced garage!!!

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
just and update on the scrambler

The parts are rollen in!
I just l picked up a u-bolt flip kit from dynatrac.
I'm still waiting for my rockslider spring hangers from jks.
I think I will start pulling this jeep a part in the next week or so.

DSC00719-1.jpg

DSC00720-1.jpg

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
O an ps on the ever waiting info on the gear ratio

2.73's

If anyone is interested let me know. I have them for sale(wide track/ dana 30 front/ amc 20 rear/ matching 2.73 gear ratio)

DSC00717-1.jpg

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
well I'm hoping when I'm done it won't look so much like a cow.
But I did start on the cj8 today. I sold the axles out from under the jeep.
so I had to get some work done.

here's some pic's:

DSC00754-1.jpg

DSC00756-1.jpg

Last edited:

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
got a little more done

well thank god for spring! It's warm and sunny finally here in ohio!
and it's time to get some work done! I have to get this jeep down
to the frame already so I can start this build finally! my wife already
has said what a great birthday gift this jeep has been! she said " thanks
when is my gift going to be done"?LOL I still can't decide if I'm going to keep the 258 or swap in the 401? The 258 is a good motor! so I will really have to think about this swap!

any how here some pic's!

DSC00787-1.jpg

DSC00788-1.jpg

DSC00789-1.jpg

DSC00790-1.jpg

DSC00791-1.jpg

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
As promised I got the body off today.
8 out of the 13 body mount bolts came out with no
problems! the other 5 snapped off! Then I had to call my
brother-in-law for some help. which was great. he brought
two of his friends with him and the four of us pulled the tub off!
I think wednesday I'll pick up my buddies cherry picker and pull
the motor, trans,transfercase. I would like to have this jeep down
to a bare frame by the end of this week! I still need to decide if
I'm going to keep the body and fix it or buy a new one?

here some pic's of todays progress:

DSC00792-1.jpg

DSC00793-1.jpg

DSC00794-1.jpg

DSC00795-1.jpg

DSC00796-1.jpg

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
doing work!

well again another productive day!
*motor, tranny, transfercase out.
*shock towers, motor mounts, swaybar out.
*brake lines, fuel lines, e-brake lines out.
*exhaust, automatic shift linkage, proportioning valve out.
All I have to take off is the:
* leaf springs
*front and rear spring hangers
*power steering box
*gastank/skidplate
*tranny skid plate
I'm going to try to get all this done by noon tomorrow
so that I can drop the frame off at the sandblaster place!
I also ordered a genright gas tank skid plate to replace the oem skid plate!
It was a good time to order since it's free shipping till tomorrow(4-30-09)!
it's a far ways from cali to ohio!

anyhow here's some more pic's of my progress!

DSC00797-1.jpg

DSC00798-1.jpg

DSC00799-1.jpg

DSC00800-1.jpg

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
jeep cj8

here's some more pic's. I finally got the frame stripped down.
Then I had to load it in my truck to go drop it off at the sandblaster.
I should get it back next wednesday(I hope).

DSC00801-1.jpg

DSC00802-1.jpg

DSC00803-1.jpg

Last edited:

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
screwed again!

well my new place for sandblasting was a gamble.
and as they say if it's to good to be true it's most likely not!
I found this place closet to home that stated they would:
*degrease my frame/ parts.
* sandblast all my parts
* and prime all my parts.

I was told for a grand total of $200.00-$250.00 out the door.
So I dropped the parts of: springs, motor mounts, spring hangers, skid plates,
frame, and misc. frame parts.

I figured I dropped the parts off last thursday and It was monday so
I figured I would stop in to see the progress. I was wondering how
good this new place was going to do with my parts.

well I caught them using a da sander and some rustolium primer on my frame.
The guy stated that the sandblaster guy stated that: "he would turn my frame
into nothing with his sandblaster". and that they decided to use a da sander
instead. and never called me to tell me about their problem. also note this frame
has three body mounts that need to be fixed the frame rails have no problems.
and why couldn't the sandblaster just turn down the psi and flow??

so I figured: the owner of the company told me $100-$150 for sandblasting that
this would also lower the cost. The only catch is they did not remove all the old
paint the just hit the high spots of rust on the frame. And I really wanted my
frame to be sandblasted. We had never talked about using a da sander to clean
up my frame. I'm just wondering if I had not stopped in that day if he would have
told me that the frame did not make it to the sandblaster? because he states that
they send all their sandblasting stuff out to be done and all they do is liquid prime,
uppc, and powder coat stuff! which in my head this just meant that I had to take
it some where else to get the job done.

Well the guy called me this morning and told me all the stuff was done and he was
just waiting on some stuff to get out of the oven? I asked him by what do you mean??
he stated that he powder primered my parts. Which 1. I did not ask for or want. and
2. he never asked me if i wanted this option. so he told me the total came to $237.00.
Which I had already given him a $100.00 deposit and very specific directions 1. sandblast
all parts. 2. prime all parts with a cheap primer because I was going to be welding and
modifying the frame. so i did not want to waste money on a good primer or I for sure did
not want to powder coat anything if i had to grind it off to weld stuff!!

so I head down there and this is what I find:

DSC00817-1.jpg

DSC00818-1.jpg

DSC00819-1.jpg

DSC00813-1.jpg

DSC00814-1.jpg

DSC00815-1.jpg

DSC00816-1.jpg

so we load the parts up into my truck. and he tells me all the parts are there!
so I go into his office and he gives me a bill and it shows that the total cost is
$337.00 and I still need to pay $237.00 because he deducted my deposit of $100.00.

So what would you do? 1. he did not sandblast my frame. 2. I don't believe he had
my other parts sandblasted by an outside company. because there was a pile of sand
outside the backdoor of the shop where he was rattle can priming and da sanding my
frame. 3. he is about $87.00 over the qoute of $200.00-$250.00. 4. he made a decision
to powder prime my misc. frame/suspension parts without telling me and with my direct
order mulitiple times that: " I don't want any of the parts to be powercoated!!!"! 5. I'm
also missing two parts.

I personal think that he tried to F#$% me. and thought I would never figure it out. well
let me tell you! I have to strip the rustolium primer off. and sandblast the frame because
it looks like $#I+!!! and I'm going back tomorrow to get my two other parts.

I asked this guy what he was thinking? and he had no answer! I think he thought I would
like the powder primer so much that I would just pay the extra $87.00! well he was wrong
and I got screwed so to make a long story short. If it sounds to good to be true..... well
you know how it goes! Its so hard to save a dollar these days without getting screwed.

ps. i know the pic's look some what good. but in person it looks like $#i+!!!
anyhow,
keep jeepen,
7jeeps7kings

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Wow....horror story! The gray parts look pretty good, but the frame looks like, well, not so good. I guess that's why I have always followed the old saying, "If you want something done right, do it yourself." Hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction...

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
still needs to be blasted

Wow....horror story! The gray parts look pretty good, but the frame looks like, well, not so good. I guess that's why I have always followed the old saying, "If you want something done right, do it yourself." Hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction...

Well there is a lot of truth to that “If you want something done right, do it yourself"! I'm going to blast it myself! I do agree the gray parts do look good! Those are the parts that are powder primed. That he decided to do and tried to charge/ over bid the job. which he did not ask me If I even wanted that done! which I didn't

Unfortunately I'm still missing the two parts.
I ended up going to the sandblast company and checking there.
The two guys at the sandblast place told me that the guy I'm dealing with
They have had problems with him in the past!!

See I originally did not know that the guy from the powder coating place was going to sub out the work. Then in his web of lying I found out that he subs it out to this other company. The other funny thing is the two guys from the sandblasting place had never seen the jeep frame! They only had seen the misc. frame parts, and suspension parts. Which they said they did blast the parts.

So I ended up going to the police station and asked if I could have a police officer stand by (as a neutral part.). So when I asked the guy for the missing parts nothing crazy happened!

And of course the guy from the powder coating company has no ideal where the parts could be? He made comments like “what would I do with two jeep brackets? I don’t even own a jeep"! Then when we could not find the parts in his shop. Which might I add he let us look around. He said “why would I steal your jeep parts? What would I do with them"? I replied “well as mad as you were the other day you probably threw them out"! So then he told me I could check his trash can and dumpster. So I did. And when I made it to the dumpster that’s when he got all crazy. Saying thing like: "this is some type of harassment. I want to make a report against this guy(me)"! Then he told me and the cop to get off his property. I'm guessing if I had 5-10 more min's to rifle threw that dumpster I would have found my two missing parts.

As we were leaving I asked the cop if I should make a police report or a written statement about the events. He said No! That I had done everything by the book. And just don't come back to the guy’s property!

then the guy called me like 5 mins later to tell me he did not appreciate me bring the cops down to his shop. and all I had to says is: 1. I don't know you!
2. what I do know of you is all lies! 3. after the way you acted yesterday there was no way I was not showing up with an authority figure/ netural party to protect not only myself but this guy. 4. this conversation is over and that I would never come back to his shop again.

and I know I should not have given him the time of day. but I figured he had a change of heart. but I was wrong!

So to make a long story short. I still have to sandblast my frame and I'm missing two parts.

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Well, at least you got the satisfaction of knowing you did things right, and that the cops know of another disreputable businessman. Believe it or not, that does matter.

So, what brackets are you still missing? I don't see one of the frame to sway bar brackets in the picture....