• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

‘82 Engine Swap & Restification

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Yup, these are actually CJ-10 (not CJ-10a) windows since they came from a CJ-10 in Australia. So, technically they are/were CJ-10 windows. But, they are also world cab windows since the same glass is used in the world cab, and these will be used with my postal world cab. So, everybody is correct. :D

Also considered elusive unobtainable square edge glass that is near impossible to find stateside and some people buy entire vehicles just for this glass. (And for the cost paid I might have been able to buy a vehicle locally, but I hate the idea of parting out a good vehicle just for one part.)

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
And a couple more parts.

20191007_182845.jpg

RHD hand brake, and RHD battery tray. Battery tray is for the OV, current one has a broken brace. This is much easier than fixing the original. Not sure where I will use the hand brake, might use it on the 82 since I hate foot parking brakes on manual transmission vehicles.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
What are the opinions on a D44 front and 14 Bolt rear. These would be spring over axles from a 70’s GM truck. I am sure I would need to narrow them, and definitely need to replace the 8 lug hubs with 5x5.5 hubs, but those are available from Solid Axle Industries. Brakes would also need to be sorted. Just thinking out loud here and looking for thoughts.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
What are the opinions on a D44 front and 14 Bolt rear. These would be spring over axles from a 70’s GM truck. I am sure I would need to narrow them, and definitely need to replace the 8 lug hubs with 5x5.5 hubs, but those are available from Solid Axle Industries. Brakes would also need to be sorted. Just thinking out loud here and looking for thoughts.

D44 front is fine and common. 70's GM would be low pinion (a little worse for drive shaft angles and rock clearance).

14 bolt is the big-boys rear. All the guys I know running 40s or 42s. I'm not sure I've ever see 5x5.5 on a 14 (it may be possible). It may hang down farther than you want depending on tire size (or shaving).

Others will know more.....

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I hate ethanol!

20191110_172110.jpg

This was brand new in 2010. Tank was always left full, but not run near enough.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Small steps, small update.

Finished the t-case rebuild/SYE install. Cleaned up the trans a little. Still need to do more degreasing and cleaning on the trans. But I bolted them together, man is that trans HEAVY! Transfer case hangs about 3” lower than the trans. So, with a small body lift, I should be able to get most of it between the frame rails, I hope. :fingerscrossed:

5DBC62E3-D5AF-4B46-B6BA-113538B1A7E0.jpeg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
D44 front is fine and common. 70's GM would be low pinion (a little worse for drive shaft angles and rock clearance).

14 bolt is the big-boys rear. All the guys I know running 40s or 42s. I'm not sure I've ever see 5x5.5 on a 14 (it may be possible). It may hang down farther than you want depending on tire size (or shaving).

Others will know more.....

No updates recently. Been under the weather, got the flu before Christmas, then a sinus infection, and now a second one. Sucks, but it’s life.

I did pick up a D44 out of an ‘84 Dodge Ramcharger over the weekend. Spring over, passenger drop, with flat top knuckles, no CAD, and manual internal hub lockouts, and 5” x 5.5” hubs. It has 3.23 gears, so they will need to be changed. Will also need to shorten the driver side axle. From rough measurements, if I keep the passenger side as is, it will be about 5”-6” wider than stock. (Really rough measurement.) Also thinking about installing the Jana K4 ring & pinion kit.

Now on the lookout for a D60 rear axle.

Last edited:

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
No updates recently. Been under the weather, got the flu before Christmas, then a sinus infection, and now a second one. Sucks, but it’s life.

I did pick up a D44 out of an ‘84 Dodge Ramcharger over the weekend. Spring over, passenger drop, with flat top knuckles, no CAD, and manual internal hub lockouts, and 5” x 5.5” hubs. It has 3.23 gears, so they will need to be changed. Will also need to shorten the driver side axle. From rough measurements, if I keep the passenger side as is, it will be about 5”-6” wider than stock. (Really rough measurement.) Also thinking about installing the Jana K4 ring & pinion kit.

Now on the lookout for a D60 rear axle.

Nice! What is the WMS to spring perch measurement on that (pass side)?

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Nice! What is the WMS to spring perch measurement on that (pass side)?

From memory, I believe it was 18 1/2" +/-. Measured the stock D30 at 15 3/8" as I recall. Both just holding the tape measure and eyeball it, nothing precise. (To inboard side of spring that is against pumpkin housing.)

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I have completely failed to make any forward progress on this.

I was able to find half a world cab barn door hinge though. It was one of those dumb luck finds.

20200316_191728.jpg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
WOW! How?

Dumb luck, been trying to see if they have any other hinge components, but they have been silent last couple weeks.

Would be interesting to see if it could be moulded and a new casting made. But with the low quantity still around, a CNC made from a chunk of steel would be much easier.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I have been really slacking on this project. Too many other distractions.

I did get this the other day:
D8C87066-7483-4485-97AE-EF9ACB515176.jpeg
35” tire mounted on the intended rim.

Got this for mockup purposes, wanted to cycle the suspension to know how I need to narrow the D44 I bought a few months back.

Really did not need it yet, but the shop we use for maintenance and repairs on our daily drivers looked like they needed a bit of business, so I helped at least a little.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
White letters in. Love it!! Nothing detracts from a beautiful build quicker than a tyre company advertising themselves on the side of the rig in huge white letters.

KandE

Basic User
City
Petaluma
State
CA
I had custom glass made for one of my J10s. We are lucky to have a auto glsss shop close by that can do custom cuts and hand shaping. Two windows that were the right green tint cost about $300. Check with your local custom car shops for who they use.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Huge shout out to @jak inc ...