• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

$100-ish Rear Bumper....

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
So, trailer lights don't look right on a jeep, so the solution is to put trailer lights on the jeep? :thumbsup:

I personally like the cheap trailer lights, one of the things that makes a jeep look like a jeep, but variety is the spice of life and different lights look good as well. I even like the overseas trailer lights that have the amber lenses. And I like the tractor lights on the exports as well. :cheers:

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Wow, those are pretty slick!

One of the things that has kept me from installing flush mounts, is all the cutting and trimming involved to make them fit.

These thin surface mounts may be the way to go... thanks, Rob! :cheers:

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
So, trailer lights don't look right on a jeep, so the solution is to put trailer lights on the jeep? :thumbsup:

I personally like the cheap trailer lights, one of the things that makes a jeep look like a jeep, but variety is the spice of life and different lights look good as well. I even like the overseas trailer lights that have the amber lenses. And I like the tractor lights on the exports as well. :cheers:
Variety is the spice of life. ? The answer is to use what you'd like. I personally don't like the stocks because they stick out so far. I've smashed 2 stocks lights in my previous TJ while offroad. I also like the look of the round LEDs especially now that some have integrated the backups.

Last edited:

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I got a little bit more done today. I needed to bend the end caps, but all I had on hand was 3/16" flat bar, which doesn't bend as easily in a vise as 1/8"... this setup in my press worked out pretty well:

bumper - 1.jpg

I decided to use recessed side marker lights, so I trimmed the caps to fit about 1/2" in from the ends:

bumper - 2.jpg

The idea was better than the execution... I wouldn't bother doing this again, but it will look okay when everything is installed:

bumper - 3.jpg

Now, I'm just watching the paint dry:

bumper - 4.jpg

This weekend I'll bolt it on, and wire the lights.

Happy Independence Day! :usflag:

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I got it pretty well wrapped up today.

I used the factory tail light pigtails, and pulled an extra wire through to use as a ground wire on the driver side:

bumper - 1.jpg

Here it is in the bumper... plenty of wire length:

bumper - 2.jpg

Here's the passenger side, with an extra wire pulled through for an auxiliary switch for the white lights:

bumper - 3.jpg

I didn't photograph all the wiring and crimping, so here's the finished product:

bumper - 4.jpg

Another view, showing the recessed side marker:

bumper - 5.jpg

And a final shot, with the license plate installed. I used the stock plate bracket, but I mounted the plate using the bottom holes, so it covers up the bracket:

bumper - 6.jpg
The backup lights work for the first time since I've owned this Jeep, and while I was running wires, I ran one for the 4WD indicator light on my dash.

All in all, this was a pretty good project! :cheers:

Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Great job.

Any plans to light up the license plate?

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Great job.

Any plans to light up the license plate?

For now, I'll probably just get a license plate frame with a built-in light.

Eventually, I'll have the spare tire mounted on the rear, and the license plate will go in the middle of it, along with a backup camera, and whatever lighting I decide to use.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Looks great. That bumper should take a few good hits.

At least it will protect the sheet metal. The body on my Scrambler is almost perfect, except for the back end, which looks like it's been through a destruction derby!

I don't think the PO was very good at backing up. :crazy:

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
At least it will protect the sheet metal. The body on my Scrambler is almost perfect, except for the back end, which looks like it's been through a destruction derby!

I don't think the PO was very good at backing up. :crazy:

Probably just couldn't see well due to the horrible reverse lights on old Jeeps. Looks like you have taken care of that problem!

CCFather

City
Westminster
State
Md
I just installed a rear Pro Comp bumper. Needed a bumper and I don’t need a 1k wheeling bumper, not in a 38 year old vehicle.

It’s pretty heavy duty.

Attachments

• 35593EFD-6E29-43CF-ACC2-B18A814F5E16.jpeg
    35593EFD-6E29-43CF-ACC2-B18A814F5E16.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 24

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
I really want to touch those floppy ears. Man, what lovely pups!

Caul

City
Midland
State
Tx
I just installed a rear Pro Comp bumper. Needed a bumper and I don’t need a 1k wheeling bumper, not in a 38 year old vehicle.

It’s pretty heavy duty.
I purchased one of these on amazon and the only thing that was delivered was the bumper. What hardware and spacers did you use to mount the bumper?

CCFather

City
Westminster
State
Md
I purchased one of these on amazon and the only thing that was delivered was the bumper. What hardware and spacers did you use to mount the bumper?
Yes mine only came with the bumper and D rings.

I used grade 8 bolts and washers to attach the bumper. It was very simple.