• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

100 questions

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 17:
Spray some white paint on my deterated firewall tag, then wipe with finger.

Can anyone read it for me? And can I have a reproduction made?20211021_121854.jpg20211021_121713.jpg20211021_121637.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The rivets holding it on are regular rivets, nothing special. Drill them out carefully and you should be able to clean up the tag enough to be legible.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Great idea. Does anyone make reproductions? Brake fluid has done mine in.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 18:
Trying to get a sheet metal budget, looking on Classic Enterprises website. Drivers side floor is pretty well gone. It has a patch as does the passenger side.

Is it not easier just to replace with their "front floor panels, extended width", rather than the narrow width?

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 19:
See photos of drivers side where body mounts. The front bolt area is basically all gone and the middle bolt area is too. Also the one in front of rear tire has rust.

Looking at Classic parts not real sure what I need to order. If I order the extended floor what supporting pieces do I need?
20211027_133238.jpg20211027_133257.jpg

Attachments

• 20211027_133334.jpg
    20211027_133334.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
This is probably common issues, has any one got suggestions on what parts I will need?

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
So classicent has those pieces as well. I would wait on the firewall box mount until the floor is removed. You may find, difficult to tell by pic, that you can add metal to make hole. This would help because you do not have to separate this box from the fire wall. But if you are doing this already to replace the floor it comes off any way. Either repair or replace will be in order depending extent of floor repair. Full floor means full separation of spot welds at firewall and front mount will be removed as well.
The second cross support body mount behind the transmission shift cover is a cut out and replace. Classicent offers full or partial section..depending on extent of rust and or repair. Check your other side as well.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 20:
I have a 1981 CJ 8
I have a used later frame that had wide tracks from the factory.
Will my 1981 non wide trac springs and axles bolt up without any issues to the later model frame?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Question 20:
I have a 1981 CJ 8
I have a used later frame that had wide tracks from the factory.
Will my 1981 non wide trac springs and axles bolt up without any issues to the later model frame?
Everything will bolt up. The wide track frame used a different upper shock tower for the front shocks. Hopefully you got the towers with the frame, if not they’re not that hard to find. You will need a bit longer front shock if you’re using the narrow track axle’s lower spring plate mount and the wide track frame upper tower mount.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Everything will bolt up. The wide track frame used a different upper shock tower for the front shocks. Hopefully you got the towers with the frame, if not they’re not that hard to find. You will need a bit longer front shock if you’re using the narrow track axle’s lower spring plate mount and the wide track frame upper tower mount.
I've have gone back to widetracs. Figured that is best in long run. Yes it has shock towers

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 21:
The used leaf springs attached to widetracs I'm gettinh... I'm sure they need new rubber at attaching points. Are all of them the same as far as quality and ride? Any pictiiculars

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 22:
Building chassis... didn't get stabilizer bar with used axles. I've already ordered spring hanger parts to answer question 21

Any suggestions for new front stabilizer and links, or just go stock?

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I really doubt you'll notice it's absence for leisurely pleasure driving frankly.

If you're not going to wheel it then no real need for the quick disconnect links. However, they are nice to have.

I went with the larger diameter sway bar on mine due to my wider-than-wide-track axles. Honestly, I can't say I could tell a difference between the stock sway bar and the oversize one. But then I've not done a lot of high speed slalom courses with it.

Attachments

• 16391697006082437468175725036105.jpg
    16391697006082437468175725036105.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 15

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Chamba what length are your links set at, and are they a pain to reattach ? I need some longer ones, and i bought some but they were not long enough, so i'm thinking of getting someone to lengthen them. Always heard they are somewhat a pain to put back.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Question 22:
Building chassis... didn't get stabilizer bar with used axles. I've already ordered spring hanger parts to answer question 21

Any suggestions for new front stabilizer and links, or just go stock?
I took the Sway bar off of my green Scrambler years ago. I didn’t really notice a difference with it on or off.