• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

100 questions

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
So sad to do all this work and stick an automatic in it.....😉

Interceptor

My toy of joy
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 16:
Should I be interested in 1974 CJ 10 axle set Dana 44s well used for my CJ8?

Interceptor

My toy of joy
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
I'm thinking pickup. Craigslist ad in Kenly NC. $400.00. Out of vehicle on the ground. Not alot of information.
Thought maybe they would be too wide

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Get a picture of it for us if possible. I used a 78 J10 44 front and followed the advice of the thread (and John N). The spring perches are too wide for a CJ unless you outboard the spring mounts. I cut 4.4" off the drivers side tube and welded the knuckle back on. As the thread states, you can use 5, 6 or 8 lug hubs. I chose 8 which added about 1" to each side or 62.5" WMS.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Get a picture of it for us if possible. I used a 78 J10 44 front and followed the advice of the thread (and John N). The spring perches are too wide for a CJ unless you outboard the spring mounts. I cut 4.4" off the drivers side tube and welded the knuckle back on. As the thread states, you can use 5, 6 or 8 lug hubs. I chose 8 which added about 1" to each side or 62.5" WMS.
If I had it all to redo, I would have done this to a WT axle rather than using the NT and outboarding. Mine works and has never had a problem other than dialing out a little bit of steering to keep the tires off the springs, but that's a better solution overall.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
It's on craigslist. Keenly NC which is close to Wilson NC. They have one photo. Used parts catag

Interceptor

My toy of joy
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Thanks for all replies, but I've got to be honest with you. This is all over my head. This 4x4 stuff is still a dog to me.
Talk to me like a fifth grader. I won't get upset.
I priced new axles and looking at 6k for new. I could keep what I've got, maybe different one piece axles.
Is this something that would add use and value. I will need to pay a shop to do all modifications.

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
I am of the mind set to use what you got. Figure out how the buggy will be used by you. Orginal drive train is OK. I know this may be shot down, but country dirt road driving, even a little 4lo action will be fine. You get into problems with bigger tires..then it is a game changer.
I have been to Atco in the early 80's watching drags and have seen AMC Javelins with 2piece rears run the quarter mile. They worked and when they failed they may have spared something further up the driveline. Most of these were DD week night enthusiasts.

Chamba

SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Honestly, if you're paying a shop to do all the rebuild of the old axles and brakes you may be better off with a set of axles from ECGS. Given your proximity, you can simply pick them up and bolt them on to your new chassie.

ECGS will give you brand new everything and new brakes so it takes an entire project off the table. If you can afford it I'm a very strong advocate of this to keep your project moving forward. It also allows you to get wide track axles which will allow larger tires and make it more stable.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
If you can do all (or most) of the work yourself - those axles would be great. Shop labor rates could push the overall price higher than a new set of axles from ECGS as Chamba suggested above.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Honestly, if you're paying a shop to do all the rebuild of the old axles and brakes you may be better off with a set of axles from ECGS. Given your proximity, you can simply pick them up and bolt them on to your new chassie.

ECGS will give you brand new everything and new brakes so it takes an entire project off the table. If you can afford it I'm a very strong advocate of this to keep your project moving forward. It also allows you to get wide track axles which will allow larger tires and make it more stable.
Totally agree. And especially if you need to regear anyway.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Big if, but if I built a chassis from used frame I'm getting, using yj springs and new axles with the V8 transplant. I would have a complete 4 cylinder chassis left in one piece. Maybe less Transfer case? Will that old chassis be worth anything to anybody?

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Like has been said before, what are your goals?

A fire road Jeep on 33” tires will be fine with stock axles.

A rock crawler / mud bogger Jeep on 33” tires would need better axles.

Driver control and skinny pedal finesse will determine how long stock axles will last.

Chamba

SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Very nice score!!! I love that is an 82-86 frame so you've got the longer shock towers. That's going to make your project move along nicely.