• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

100 questions

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Being a new owner I will have a bunch of quick questions. I hope this is correct place to post thread. Heck I don't even know how to engage 4x4. My son will show me when he sees Jeep.
Question
1. Driver's window, the bar that clamps into window was off of regulator. I snapped back on window to make weather tight while parked. The nylon (not proper name) bushing, snap thing that goes in window needs replacing I'm sure. Fits very loose. Can you buy and replace those nylon fastens or do I need to buy complete regulator. The regulator works fine.
2. See attached photo: what is going on with clutch pedal setting cattie wampess? Surely that's not right. plus brake pedal sitting in completely different spot.

Attachments

• 20210726_135357.jpg
    20210726_135357.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 88

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Those nylon insert thingies on the windows are no longer available from what I was able to find out. Supposedly there is a fix that uses a modified clip form a VW or something. I am in the same boat, but I am a ways from rebuilding my doors. I was thinking of machining a nylon bushing set that bolted up.

Edit: after posting this reply I searched for the VW clip and bingo! Looks like Collins has reproductions along with a couple others on EBay.

That clutch pedal is crazy! The brake pedal looks off too- might just be the camera angle. I should have a clutch pedal somewhere if you can’t get yours straight. There’s probably someone closer that has one too- shipping would be cheaper. The pedal is some stout metal- had to be done on purpose to make clutch actuation easier for a previous owner.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
Looks like the clutch pedal was heated up and bent that way. Brake pedal probably was two at the same time.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
If you, Will give me information on nylon fasteners I will order a pair and give you a review.... I'm worried window will fall and break.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
On the clutch pedal I will try to source used locally. Couple of people on Craigslist show photos of junkers in a field. The brake pedal seems high to me also

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Maybe someone with large boots (no Italian loafers allowed) needed more clearace to keep their boots from getting caught on each other. Might try heating up the pedal arms and bending them back where they used to be and then figure out the adjustment to get the pedals the same height. If that doesn't do it, then look for a different pedal assembly.

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Clutch. Is it the rubber pad? Or is the pedal bent. Hard to tell. Pad on clutch looks off in relation to the bend.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR

Click on the pic and it will bring up the auction. I’m guessing it’s somewhere on Collins website too.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Maybe someone with large boots (no Italian loafers allowed) needed more clearace to keep their boots from getting caught on each other. Might try heating up the pedal arms and bending them back where they used to be and then figure out the adjustment to get the pedals the same height. If that doesn't do it, then look for a different pedal assembly.
I agree - wouldn't be the first time I've heard this happen

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 3:
Cranked my Jeep to move to spot where water would drain out of bed. Put Jeep in reverse backed up 10 feet, then put in 1st gear and Jeep would not go forward, it felt like it was tied to a tree. Vehicle front tires where not moving and the rear tires where digging dirt. I moved selector to 4 low 4 hi 2 hi, no change. Goes in reverse fine, only forward no go.

Didn't have time to investigate, after midnight and drizzle.
I first thought is brakes, but why is reverse OK
2nd thought, maybe transmission gears binding, but I can spin rear tires (very lightly to see if I could push through it)
3rd thought, maybe front axle is bound up because I don't know crap about 4x4 and maybe hubs aren't properly set. Jeep sat at used car lot so no telling what has been done to it. But it still goes backwards easily.
Any insight?

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
Any chance the emergency brake in on?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I’ve only heard of the fronts grabbing under 2 circumstances- either the fluid got contaminated somehow and the rubber parts swelled up, or the caliper pistons were rusty and wouldn’t release after being applied.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 4: turning hub on front wheel clockwise till stop engages 4x4 ? Counter clockwise to disengage ?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
There should be a 4 and a 2 embossed in the outer hub ring. When the nameplate lines up with the 2 you’re in 2wd and vice versa. I can’t remember the direction, and I have non-stock hubs on mine so I can’t check.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Concerning question 3,
turned hubs clockwise until stop. Got in Jeep, didn't touch brake pedal, cranked, started. Put in 1st gear and jeep pulled off fine.
Thinking brake related. When I get time I will experiment.
Brake job is on my list to do already.

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Good time to change fluids in the front diff and to see what the interior condition is. Good chance on the calipers frozen as well.