• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

100 questions

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Confirm answer to qurstion 3, drove around some logging roads, when I parked i could smell hot brakes. Left rear wheel was hot
Answer to question 4, yes turning clockwise fully engages 4x4. I cleaned off the lockers and they actually did have numbers 2 and 4 stamped on lockers.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 5: the gear selector for 4L4H2H. Mine takes a lot of force to move, and not percise feeling, unlike gearshift.. is that normal?

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 6: Going to buy all new rear brake parts, including hoses. Perferred brand or vendor?
Also will service rear differential, any remarks or suggestions?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Question 5: the gear selector for 4L4H2H. Mine takes a lot of force to move, and not percise feeling, unlike gearshift.. is that normal?
Yes, pretty normal for a D300.

I always used Raybestos when I could get it. But lately I use whatever is the premium offering from the local parts store.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 7: Should I even start?
Wow I'm getting cold feet, I have been looking at the builds people are doing, and wondering, if I want to even get started. People have taken CJ8s in a lot better shape than mine and replaced everthing except doors and steering wheel.
Seems frames are junk, bodies are junk, they all get replaced. So now I feel like mine will go down the same path.

I'm wondering now if I should just not do anything to mine, buy a new frame, a new body, new mechanical parts, put together then when it 90% complete move the Vin tag. Top and doors. Seems that would make the most sense. Just build one from parts.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Question 7: Should I even start?
Wow I'm getting cold feet, I have been looking at the builds people are doing, and wondering, if I want to even get started. People have taken CJ8s in a lot better shape than mine and replaced everthing except doors and steering wheel.
Seems frames are junk, bodies are junk, they all get replaced. So now I feel like mine will go down the same path.

I'm wondering now if I should just not do anything to mine, buy a new frame, a new body, new mechanical parts, put together then when it 90% complete move the Vin tag. Top and doors. Seems that would make the most sense. Just build one from parts.
That’s a tough question. I guess it depends on what you’re expecting for an end result, and how much time and money you’re willing to invest. I’m a bit at the far end, I’m not happy until everything is perfect. But sometimes that makes me wish I had something not so perfect so I wouldn’t be afraid to use it. I understand that if the frame is trash and you aren’t comfortable or able to fix it, then a new frame is a good choice. The frame is the foundation and it needs to be right. And a poorly fixed or ugly frame will kill any resale value down the road. As far as the body goes- I would try and fix the tub just because of the horror stories of replacement Tubs not fitting right. In my mind, a lot of the desirability comes from being somewhat original in the body department.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Just wanted a mechanical sound driver. Was going patchwork body.. I guess a good inspection of frame is in order

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
So many ways to go. If mine was in as good a shape as yours I would have put a plan together where during the winter months, an item from the greatest to least would be picked and work to finish it prior to the summer enjoyment season...Just my 2Cs

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Answer to question 7 ?
Well the frame is not worth the investment of body. If any major money and time is spent it needs frame replaced.
The only other choice is to leave it be, and keep it running.

Mechanical it is fine. The rear brake parts have been ordered and will replace soon. Not planning any major off road driving so frame should be fine for around house and to the store if I ever tag. So if I do get frame body will be ready.

I will make an effort to find a frame if extra money becomes available and start from scratch, until then maybe to some patches in body.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Pockets are empty from buying. The frame cost about what I paid for Jeep. Shaking my head

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Not even close to buying frame, sorry about wording. Forgot to put in, buying Jeep.
But while are on the subject ....
Seems to be few choices for stock appearance. Anything important i need to pay attention to?
YJ springs will that give the best ride? Will they still look stock?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I think you should be able to find a decent frame for a fair price. Sure, top of the line TDK frames are $2k, but I’m sure there are decent stock frames, maybe needing minimal repair, for a lot less.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 8: checking out windsheilds since mine is fogged around edges.
What is the "reason to buy" with the green glass?
Do they block sun rays, like sunglasses. Are they stronger, do they lower heat transfer.
Is it for looks.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Question 8: checking out windsheilds since mine is fogged around edges.
What is the "reason to buy" with the green glass?
Do they block sun rays, like sunglasses. Are they stronger, do they lower heat transfer.
Is it for looks.
Good question. I’ll be watching for the answers, as I need a windshield myself.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
A little research on why green. Helps with vision contrast. Go figure

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 9: I was looking at stuff on line, you know just jeep stuff. For my mental condition. Gear shift knobs, mine is ok but... they all show reverse in a different place than mine. My reverse is towards driver and up. Is my transmission a weird one cause of 4 cylinder? The replacements all show reverse to the right of foward gears

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Your trans is the lighter duty that sometimes comes behind the 4 cyl. It's not the T-176 which could have been used on 6 or 4 cylinders.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Is the transmission ok long term?
I actually drove the Jeep on the road for the first time today, taking to repair shop 5 miles away.
It was all over the road but drivetrain seem quiet, normal. Got it up to 45 mph. Scared to go faster since it has no brakes.