• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

100 questions

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
If you keep your 4 banger the gear box is OK. If you repower you will be changing the box out as well.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
If it works good and sounds good, it'll probably last as long as the engine. If you ever go to more cylinders, then you can get a more durable trans.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 10:
Wanting to keep my Scrambler stock appearing.
Plus with lighter transmission and 4 cylinder engine I need to be realistic.
From what I can tell my Jeep came with 215x75-15 tires.
So will be keeping tire size small for drivetrain stress.
I really like the rubber fender/wheel extentions on fenders. Is there a wheel tire combination I could consider so it would look good with the smaller width tires/wheels?
Spacers on my stock rims?
I am considering YJ spring conversion, doubtful on 2.5" lift if that makes any difference.
Don't forget this will be a Sunday cruiser, not a off road vehicle

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I ran 2" spacers on my narrow track axles until the swap. They did make it look better but I feel like it made the steering feel slightly worse. Not bad, just not as good as it was with no spacers.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Spacers make me nervous. You increase the side load on your wheel bearings tremendously, not to mention putting torsional stress in your wheel studs.

Impact stress is also increased exponentially due to the fulcrum of the spacer. This is why when spacers do snap they do so dramatically..... like when hitting a pothole at speed.

Keep your eye on Craigslist for a pair of 82-86 CJ7 wide track axles. Then you can rebuild them at your leisure and throw them in on a weekend. This will give you the same result and be FAR safer.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Spacers make me nervous. You increase the side load on your wheel bearings tremendously, not to mention putting torsional stress in your wheel studs.

Impact stress is also increased exponentially due to the fulcrum of the spacer. This is why when spacers do snap they do so dramatically..... like when hitting a pothole at speed.

Keep your eye on Craigslist for a pair of 82-86 CJ7 wide track axles. Then you can rebuild them at your leisure and throw them in on a weekend. This will give you the same result and be FAR safer.
New to all of this.
I can use different axles that will increase the width. Without changing the axle housing? For the front and rear?

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
New to all of this.
I can use different axles that will increase the width. Without changing the axle housing? For the front and rear?
No. You'll need the entire axle assemblies from what's called a 'wide track', not just the shafts. The wide tracks were model year '82-86 CJ7 and 8.

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Stick with the narrow track. Run what you want for tires. In the mean time with some patience keep a look out for wide track axles or slowly fund up an axle conversion of your choice an do the swap when vehicle is put away for the season. You will come across wide track axles and it is a step up from what you have with very little backyard engineering required.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
The only season I might put up the Scrambler is "the dog days of summer" since it has no AC to get rid of the humidity. That's only about 6 weeks.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
You can increase your track width by running 10” wide wheels, but that takes a 32-33” tire- so scratch that.
Before I swapped to wide track axles I was running the stock 15x8” wheels with LT235/75R15 tires. It looked stock but beefy. There’s some pics in the first page or so of my build thread- link in my signature.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
The only season I might put up the Scrambler is "the dog days of summer" since it has no AC to get rid of the humidity. That's only about 6 weeks.
I live in Florida now and drive it year round. I actually drive it more now than i did in New Mexico because i didn't drive it for a few days after each snow to let the salt wash away.
Mine was a factory air con rig but that is all removed now. I never have the doors on so what good would it do? I bet you'll find it's great year round.

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Got you on that. For me....Winter is wrenching/build time. Summer's are just to short to spend indoors.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Question 11:
Took Jeep to local mechanic for brake repair, it was on a lift so I took flashlight to inspect frame.
It has some patching at rear spring hangers that look good.
New fuel cell.
Brake lines are don't touch stage.
Frame section from under center of jeep to rear wheel arch are bad.
20210830_095202.jpg20210830_095136.jpg Photo attached.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Back to Question 10.
Should I use right angle metal. I saw the repair pieces you can buy, but they are flat.

Are better repair pieces available ?

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Thank goodness for TDK......

I'm not personally a fan of the idea of repairing a frame with that much rust. If you don't get it all the rust will return like cancer.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
My good Question 11

Yea..... but can't afford the cost, time to do, don't want to bog down and lose Interest.
When I can afford I'm gonna build one from scratch and move into vin tag to new one. Drive this one untill then

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
In side and out side are two separate thickness. 1/8 and 3/16. When I rebuilt my frame from a CJ7 had a local metal shop bend me up some sections. My request was that the wall heights be spot on and the top and bottom ends be about 2.5 inches wide. I cut the ends to size depending on what I was trying to do. They slid into each other the same way the frame was put together.
If you are looking to just patch square tubing would be better to work with vs angle iron. Like a 4x2x1/8..etc.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
That frame probably isn’t worth saving in my honest opinion. The rust has spread far more than the holes you can see already. I’d give the rest of that frame a long hard look before going any further. Not trying to rain on your parade but that’s bad.
to weld in patch plates you have to have good metal to weld to.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Yes the frame is bad, but it's my only choice at this time. Plus the vehicle will be used on the highway only.

I have had thoughts of selling maybe to someone that has better resources.
But until I decide exactly what to do..... patch and drive