Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Looking pretty good! I think if you got a spry can of the original Olympic White mixed up and carefully masked off the passenger side area you could do a decent job of painting it.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
White Jambo

Tough decision..... if U start painting on passenger side....then what about the hood?

For now... I'd just buff & wax inside & out and enjoy the most desireable & rarest CJ !

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Tough decision..... if U start painting on passenger side....then what about the hood?

For now... I'd just buff & wax inside & out and enjoy the most desireable & rarest CJ !
I would carefully mask off the letters and spray it too. Not gonna hurt the value with paint in that bad of condition on that side.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I take a picture of the two rare jeeps side by side and note that the purple postal started off the same color as the rare white Jambo :D

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
I think a purple postal is the rarest of them all.:D As a matter of fact, I only know of one in existence.

CJPAP

Legacy Registered User
City
SUFFOLK
State
VA
I threw on some chrome 8" wheels that I picked up from a member on here. The tires are smaller and need air.

I kinda like the look of the white wheels. Anyone know if all Jamborees came with factory chrome 7"?

Mine has the 7" chrome...I was told they were original.

Everything looks great so far.

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
stafford
State
va
I threw on some chrome 8" wheels that I picked up from a member on here. The tires are smaller and need air.

I kinda like the look of the white wheels. Anyone know if all Jamborees came with factory chrome 7"?

We need pics of your jamboree !!!!!!!!!!!!!:popcorn:

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Spanks came over Saturday and we worked on Jeeps. I always welcome his arrival since he has plenty of "na na na na napa know how"! :woot:

I spent some time Friday night cleaning all of the leaks with engine degreaser, brake parts cleaner, etc. so that we would have something clean to work with and found the rat! When I was looking at the pictures that the PO listed I noticed what I thought was holes and gouges all over the interior and exterior of the Jeep. After some close inspection of the photos I realized the Jeep was cover with flies. So I figured a dead animal was close but did not inquire since the flies in the photos made the jeep look trashed-er. I'm not talking one or two either. Well, tucked next to the transfer case in the skid place was the remaing rat, soaked in tranny fluid and just rancid once I started digging it out. It did smell and came with some of the flies at first. Then the smell went away until I started digging. Enough of that!

We changed all of the fluids in the Jambo. The tranny was leaking from the pan pretty bad so as well as changing the fluid, we changed the filter and gasket. Now it's tight and leak free. The front and rear have 3.31 gears and the rear a factory trac lock. Everything looked good but now I know all fluids are new.

This is the first time I have really driven the Jambo since I received it with a spun rear axle. Still couldnt go wild since I haven't put the hood hold downs back on yet. It idles, runs, shifts, and drives great. Power brakes like a nascar, very tight when driving. Steering is tight and brakes stop good too.

I spent a few minutes today waxing the driver's side of the hood and front fender. Wow! what a difference. I will finish cleaning the inside and other misc cleaning before I continue waxing. I just couldn't resist the urge to see if and how the paint would shine. In the outside pic, the reflection of the windshield frame is in the hood. Once I put it away, the shop lights were reflecting off the hood so I was happy with that outcome.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
This Jamboree is in really great mechanical shape. The transfer case still had the original "AMC fish oil" lube in it. We changed all the gear oil, motor oil, and auto trans fluid/filter. This Jeep runs great! The engine starts up easy, holds at least 30 psi oil pressure at idle, and the transmission shifts great. Very smooth up shifts and down shifts. I was amazed that this thing can power brake:woot: After driving mainly modified CJ's, you forget how fun it is to drive a stock one:twocents: This is a great running/driving Jeep.

I took two pictures of the '82 jamboree and my '05 Rubicon together. At the time of each, they were Jeep's "top of the line" off road packages:cheers:

Once Tommy gets the rest of this thing cleaned up and all the trim/accessory pieces reinstalled, this is going to be a very sharp looking CJ-7.

Another thing that i found interesting about this Jeep - It still has ALL the factory emissions installed, and presumably working. The only issue i saw was a slight exhaust leak from one of the down stream air tubes. Also, this 1982 has a computer controlled carb, but the computer is mounted under the hood on the driver side inner fender. I guess this is a CA emissions Jeep?

Last edited:

Jambo

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cincinnati
State
OH

All Jamborees came with chrome wheels as part of the Jamboree package. As with all things AMC/Jeep, if a buyer wanted white wheels, I'm sure they would build it for him/her. Jamborees were special order, and with the exception of 10 or 20 initially sent to dealers as display models, every one off the line was supposedly individual. (Some serial number research has backed up that assertation.)

Jambo

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cincinnati
State
OH
The original run as quoted in production materials was supposed to be 2000. However, after the 10-20 display models mentioned above, all Jamborees were special order. It's believed that fewer than 1000 were produced, and that less than 200 survive. Even the 1000 number may be high as there are currently none known with a production number higher than 701 (mine).

Additionally, 95% of Jamborees stuck with the original Topaz Gold paint package, the only CJ model in 1982 approved for that specific color. The last 5% or less were Olympic White, like the Jeep shown here. To date, there are only eight (8) confirmed, known Olympic White Jamborees.

Hope this info helps.

Jambo

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cincinnati
State
OH
Also, this 1982 has a computer controlled carb, but the computer is mounted under the hood on the driver side inner fender. I guess this is a CA emissions Jeep?
Neither of mine have the computer, but neither are from California, so that might be a good guess...

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I figured mine may have been a special order since it has the correct light bar, winch set up, 3:31 gears, and the rare Olympic white.

Jambo-- do your two Jamborees have 3:31 gears? I read where all Jambos came with 2:73 gears so I was curious about yours too.

mtnbikeidaho

Legacy Registered User
City
Boise
State
ID
#18 is 2:73 and automatic. #701 is 3:31 and 5-speed manual.
#50 is 3:31 and a T-5.

Tommy, how is the light bar attached? My original windshield has no holes up top. Perhaps never had the light bar option? It did however have the fog switch bracket, harnesses and relay still intact for the bumper mounted ones.

No emissions computer on #50. When I questioned the guy I bought it from, he said he was the 2nd owner and he bought it from a fella who ordered it new in Portland, Oregon. It lived in Baker City, Oregon until I drove it to Boise, Idaho. Perhaps a "true" non-Cali, westerner!? :)