• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1984 SL Restoration

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Fuse block and high beam dimmer wiring:

20200606_161554.jpg

Unknown at this time, maybe clock:

20200606_161559.jpg

All cleaned up, note dirty cleaning wipes:

20200607_092824.jpg

20200607_092829.jpg
Ran the wire harness first, then install pedal assembly, This bracket goes behind the dash board like so:

20200607_105505.jpg

20200607_105513.jpg

The smaller bracket goes like this, after the pedal assembly is installed:

20200607_105532.jpg

20200607_105541.jpg

Picture of how it looks installed, mock up:

20200607_105605.jpg

I loosened the dash, and used two long bolts as dowels to hang the pedal bracket, after screwing the smaller silver metal bracket to the back of the dash:

20200607_110645.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Long bolts through the pedal bracket, through the fire wall to catch booster bracket:

20200607_110655.jpg

And then the four bolts from the engine compartment through the booster bracket, through the fire wall, and through the pedal bracket. Fun by yourself, not impossible:

20200607_111254.jpg

Upper brackets loosely installed for now:

20200607_113122.jpg

Make sure you get the under dash harness over the pedal bracket. Some wires go on one side, most go on the other:

20200607_113130.jpg

20200607_113139.jpg

Rough wire lay out:

20200607_114153.jpg

Getting the steering column.brackets ready to install:

20200607_115210.jpg

Bolt this bracket to column first:

20200607_115924.jpg20200607_115931.jpg

No finished picture, but column loosely installed. I left it loose because I will have to slide it inward to reinstall the steering shaft.

Did this next, stressful to say the least, installed a NOS dash applique:

20200607_142436.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I used a 9/16" bolt through each radio shaft hole to align it. Even then, it is a PIA. The overlay fits loose around the speedometer, so you still have to align it around all the other holes by hand. PIA. And that old glue on the back still stuck like nobody's business. About 95% happy with my install. I do NOT want to do another anytime soon.

20200607_142726.jpg

Steering column installed, four pedals, but none of them do nothing right now LOL:

20200607_154736.jpg

Installed the three HVAC cables next:

20200607_155157.jpg

Dash and all dash wiring about 75% complete, PM approved:

20200607_164607.jpg

I thought this was kind of funny. JeepAddict's glass guys broke his NOS windshield while trying to install it. That part is NOT funny. So, he had them install the windshield glass that came from my now red Scrambler, that I got from Toby. So, this windshield glass is from my red/Toby's black Jeep's rusted out windshield frame. Note the inspection sticker, 2011 was the last/only year I had that Jeep inpected with that windshield. After that, 2012 and up, the Scrambler was red and my project was finished LOL:

20200607_171644.jpg

Tropical storm yard clean up will take awhile, so slight pause.

That's it for now :wave:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Luckily we lucked out with a wimp of a storm. Weird, 50 mph winds that never showed up when it went just west of us. Very little rain either here.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Luckily we lucked out with a wimp of a storm. Weird, 50 mph winds that never showed up when it went just west of us. Very little rain either here.

We had pretty constant rain from Saturday night through this morning. No strong wind, just constant wind. No trees down, but 4 acres of limbs to pick up :(

But, compared to the alternative, I'm not going to gripe too much :thumbsup:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Tropical storm yard clean up, and working on my green Scrambler derailed this one. Did a little work Sunday, not much.

Installed the glove box, now I have somewhere to keep all the receipts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20200614_151055.jpg

Installed the sun visor attaching screws. The OEM screws were spinning in the holes, so I had to tap/use #12-24 screws:

20200614_151100.jpg

Need to finish up the dash wiring, then install the shifters/boots/floor pan. After that, time to start on some mechanical work, finally!!!!!!!!!

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
More baby steps, a little bit each night.

Installed the Dana 300 shifter, floor plate, and shifter boot.

I used the window caulk stuff on the floor to seal the metal plate:

20200615_190712.jpg

Interesting note, this Dana 300 shifter had all the correct washers/wave washers on the cross shaft. The rubber bushing at the bottom of the shifter is long gone, but this shifter is super tight without it. Surprised how well it works. I installed an aftermarket rubber shifter grommet on my Green Scrambler, actually makes the shifter vibrate more!!!! Won't be installing a shifter bushing on this one.

20200615_190725.jpg

Finished this shifter install.

20200615_193502.jpg

Will try to get the T5 shifter installed, plus the tach/clock wiring finished up tonight.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I’m jealous of your NOS dash appliqué. I needed one without the radio so I ordered the Omix part. The plastic is as thin as paper! And there’s a slight bit of extra material on the sides, almost like the plastic wasn’t perfectly aligned when it was stamped. But the adhesive is nice 3M stuff, so I’m crossing my fingers.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I’m jealous of your NOS dash appliqué. I needed one without the radio so I ordered the Omix part. The plastic is as thin as paper! And there’s a slight bit of extra material on the sides, almost like the plastic wasn’t perfectly aligned when it was stamped. But the adhesive is nice 3M stuff, so I’m crossing my fingers.

I thought this one was NOS, but JeepAddict corrected me. Not sure who made it :shrug:

Regardless, kind of nerve racking installing it :crazy: If I ever install another one I will find a different/better way to ensure it is dead on :thumbsup:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Not sure if collins brothers is selling omix, but might try Here

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Looks like the ones they sell are crown. Bummer. When I was there a year ago they had some nice looking ones. Not sure if they were OEM or crown.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
As many times as I have messed with T5's, I have never pulled the upper shifter off the lower shifter nub. This one came in pieces so, I had to put it together/figure it out. Not too tough IMO?

Shifter, metal retainer clip, rubber isolator:

1.jpg

Shifter "nub" this goes onto:

2.jpg

This is how I did it, not sure if it the "correct way", worked for me.

I stuck the rubber isolator on the "nub", secured it with some grease:

3.jpg

Next, slid the metal retainer clip over the rubber isolator. Lubed the rubber and the metal clip.

4.jpg

Make sure the retainer clips are facing the right direction so that the shifter goes on in the correct orientation!!!!!!!!!!

5.jpg

Finally, I just forcibly pushed the shifter on. Went down pretty easy, secured with a "click", nice and tight.

6.jpg

Close up of the bottom:

7.jpg

The metal tangs grabbed the shifter slots just fine. The bottom, not 100% sure if this is what it is supposed to look like? I know I can not pull the shifter off, so i assume it is good to go.

Put some more goop down to seal the bottom of the shifter boot to the metal plate. The glazing putty did not want to stick to the bottom of the boot to well. Not sure if goop is really necessary here, the OEM boots seal down pretty tight to the metal floor plate.

8.jpg

Shifter boot installed, at least two driver operated controls work now!!!!!!!!

9.jpg

The shifter knob was stuck on the shifter. I had to tear it up to remove it to slide on the shifter boot. I used vise grips, ripped off the soft outer layer, they broke the plastic layer off. Finally, I could grab the inner metal sleeve and twist off the knob. This knob was messed up, so no great loss:

10.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I went ahead and installed the broke shifter knob to prevent gouging my eyeballs out on the end of the threaded shaft. Also, JeepAddict is not good about bringing me parts, so I will probably have this thing driveable before I get my parts order in from him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11.jpg

Easy task, installed windshield footman loop, Part's Monkey Approved.

12.jpg

Easy task, installed seat bracket to floor bolts so I don't lose them, Part's Monkey Approved.

13.jpg

Will probably clean up, re-sheath, and install this harness soon: the harness that plugs into wire harness near the under dash fuse block and powers rear tail lights/fuel gauge sending unit.

14.jpg

Next, did some wire identification. I am waiting on some parts from JeepAddict before I can finish the under dash wiring. But, I went ahead and labeled everything now, for easier final hook ups later.

I am missing the "clock harness". I will need this to hook up the clock AND the OEM tachometer.

15.jpg

Th black connector in my hand with four wires going to it is for the OEM fog light hook up. The black connector in the back ground coming off the fuse panel is where the rear vehicle harness plugs in. The orange wire with the black plug is the under dash courtesy light harness power connection. I am currently missing the under dash courtesy lights/harness. The cut orange wire with no end, not sure, not needed at this time. The cut yellow wire is a mystery, more on this later.

16.jpg

OEM tachometer wires. The two reds with black plugs plug into vehicle harness. The orange wire with green connector plugs into the OEM clock harness to power up the tach light. Black wire with eyelet is tach ground wire, screws to the bottom of the dash I presume.
17.jpg

Black connector with at top of picture, with yellow wire, is unused 4 cylinder tach wire. The two connected plugs below, one is for factory cruise control, the other might be for the brake light switch. need to see if I hooked up the brake light switch connector. If the brake light switch is connected, then this other plug is for factory cruise control.

18.jpg

Under dash ignition wires connected together. This is where the OEM tach red wires plug in.

19.jpg

They slide apart:

20.jpg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
And then the tach wires plug into the two ends. IIRC, the OEM tach works different then aftermarket. If the OEM tach goes bad somehow, the engine will not run. But, you can easily unplug the tach, hook together the two under dash red wires, and the ignition will power up again.21.jpg

4 cylinder tach connector in my hand:

22.jpg

Dangling loose wires near headlight switch plug. Ground and power for under dash courtesy lights. Unused cut orange wire. Mystery yellow wire with cut off end.

23.jpg

Rear harness connector has the green, pink, and white wires. Unused dome light connector next to it, Dome lights would be on a CJ7 hard top. But, could probably use this plug to install dome lights in a Scrambler, too,

24.jpg

Mystery yellow wire:

25.jpg

This yellow wire is not used in my 258 powered green Scrambler, or my 258 powered red Scrambler. Pretty sure it has something to do with MAYBE the 4 cylinder tach wiring? On my red Scrambler, I used this yellow wire as the "hot" for a cell phone charging outlet? On my green Scrambler, this yellow wire has a black plastic/rubber like termination:

26.jpg

Not too concerned about the yellow wire, just curious what it is used for?

My terrible hand writing notes:

27.jpg

Painter tape/sharpie lables for faster work later:

28.jpg

As much as I would like to start mechanical work, I still need to finish a bunch of other work/assembly first. The mechanical stuff will go fast, and then I will want to drive it, which will make it harder to go back and do more mundane stuff. So, I am "eating my vegetables before desert.

I am "drawing a red line at the cowl". Before I do mechanical work, need to complete the following items:

1) run rear vehicle harness
2) install seat belts
3) install rear view mirrors (need to tap WS hinges for oversize bolts, something strange going on here)
4) install lower door hinges

5) install and adjust doors/strikers - In Progress
6) reassemble doors (will clear out a lot of parts/space) (waiting on vent window from JeepAddict) - In Progress
7) minor steering column work
8) clean/sand/paint/install the driver seat bracket/seat

Probably some other minor stuff, too. If I do this work first, then I will be "complete" up to the firewall/cowl. Then, forward.

Last edited:

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Has the temperature dropped where you are? Parts Monkey doesn't seem quite as excited about this project as he was at the start??

I am enjoying reading this thread but i am a bit jealous as you are making it look ridiculously quick and easy to get a pile of parts back together and make a stunning rebuilt Scrambler.
I can only dream that any parts on mine actually fit where they should without some sort of fight required!

Carry on with the good work looking forward to the end result.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
X2 on more parts monkey! Treat him as though he were a cowbell!, LOL. Some will get it

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Has the temperature dropped where you are? Parts Monkey doesn't seem quite as excited about this project as he was at the start??

I am enjoying reading this thread but i am a bit jealous as you are making it look ridiculously quick and easy to get a pile of parts back together and make a stunning rebuilt Scrambler.
I can only dream that any parts on mine actually fit where they should without some sort of fight required!

Carry on with the good work looking forward to the end result.

Don’t feel to bad, this project has lasted over 10 years. :eek:

(I need to keep quite, as my rebuild has stalled as well.)

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Just slowed down some is all. Think of it as a caterpillar going to a beautiful butterfly, just stuck in the chrysalis stage right now.