• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1984 SL Restoration

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Lately I have been busy with work.

Here are some updated photos of what I have done the last few weeks.

Blasted the frame, axles, and misc pieces. Primed with self etching primer and painted. I painted the frame with Rust-oleum gloss black and the axles and misc. parts with VHT roll bar and chassis paint.

Picture7775-1.jpg

Picture7765-1.jpg

Picture7773-1.jpg

Picture7785-1.jpg

Picture7786-1.jpg

I also installed my RE 4.5" lift this weekend in about 2 hrs with the help of a good friend who knows his stuff. It looks awesome. I just can't find my camera right now to take photos..:banghead:
It raised the rear of the frame 4" and the front 4.5" from where it sat with the old springs

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Looks really nice. Great work on it. I remember being there. It'll all come together and when someone looks at the frame, it'll be impressive. Frames and firewalls always seem to get overlooked. When they are done right, it means the rest is done welll too. Keep at it.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Found my camera :D

I couldn't roll it out because of the weather but, here's a few pics of the frame lifted with a RE 4.5. Current tires are 33X12.50

Picture7859-1.jpg

Picture7860-1.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Nice! Let us know how you like those Bilsteins-

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I will have to check. I still have the boxes. I know they are 5125 series

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
what part numbers did you use for the bilsteins? My OE re shocks are limiting travel and they are about shot, so I'm looking for shoks now.

thanks

The fronts are F4-BE5-6253-H5
and the rears F4-BE5-A463-H7

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Finally some nice weather so installed the fuel and brake lines ordered from in-line tube.

Pictures after the RE 4.5 was installed
0022-2.jpg

0012-2.jpg

new stainless lines
0051-1.jpg

Some crud in my gas tank skid
0041-1.jpg

0032-2.jpg

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Any updates slacker:rotfl::rotfl::cheers:

I wish I could say Yes. But, not really. I hung the gas tank but stopped when I couldn't get the roll over check valves back in.

My painter has been very slow which has caused me to slack way too much.

All I need to do is finish the gas tank and lines and I will be ready to put the tub back on hopefully in the next few weeks.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
So I, I mean "polarfire" found my 8274 SE. I'll have to restore it at some point.
It is serial number 111196 I haven't broken down the date code yet but, it is visible.
The weight is 128.8 as it sits on mount with cable.

0033-1.jpg

00521-1.jpg

And my plans for it down the road once on the Scrambler
0042-1.jpg

Last edited:

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
Are your shocks upside down?

Found my camera :D

I couldn't roll it out because of the weather but, here's a few pics of the frame lifted with a RE 4.5. Current tires are 33X12.50

Picture7860-1.jpg

I could be wrong... heck, I usually am, but are your shock boots not suppossed to be on the top half of the shock? I looked at mine because you made me wonder if I'd done it wrong, and then I checked a few other threads and pics..

I'm not sure that it even matters, but it might, so I'm curious now if I'm right/wrong in that my boots are on the top end..

cheers

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
I could be wrong... heck, I usually am, but are your shock boots not suppossed to be on the top half of the shock? I looked at mine because you made me wonder if I'd done it wrong, and then I checked a few other threads and pics..

I'm not sure that it even matters, but it might, so I'm curious now if I'm right/wrong in that my boots are on the top end..

cheers

I've been told/asked that before. I think on this thread. I beleive they are mounted correctly. All of the decals and engraved numbers and letters are read correctly and not upside down when mounted this way.

I think someone told me this is how the Bilstein shocks mount correctly.

I've never really looked into it. I guess I should...I may still have the directions

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
Nice! I have everything to do that except that small center section! :banghead:

Thanks, and thanks for spotting the winch. I can see the completed version in my head of the whole Scrambler. It's going to be sweet. I should have the tub back this month. :fingerscrossed: