• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

2017 Jeep Safari Concepts

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
Jeep teased a couple of photos of this year's concepts yesterday and the full reveal is set for Thursday. There are usually a half dozen or so concepts at the Safari. I always look forward to these concepts...even though they are sometimes just highly-accessorized vehicles. They had some nice ones last year but I still think my all-time fav was The Gladiator pickup.

http://fcauthority.com/2017/03/jeep-teases-moab-easter-jeep-safari-vehicles/

I like the doors on The Switchback. They remind me of the original full soft top doors on Scramblers with the see-through bottom panel...always wanted some of those.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I saw the Luminator at the Detroit Auto show. Inexplicably, it was in the basement in the "low rent" area away from all the brand booths upstairs and there was no display, description or anyone there with it. It has some insane LED light setups (light bar deal inside the Jeep behind the windshield!) and the roof has a solar setup.

IMG_9386.jpg

IMG_9388.jpg

IMG_9394.jpg

IMG_9390.jpg

CJ66 was there in the Jeep booth, it was the only thing worth seeing in an otherwise completely disappointing booth...

IMG_9355.jpg

Don't forget the best one of the bunch, the Grand One:

Grand One.jpg

Seriously bummed that there's no truck and honestly I like the Renegade concepts they've done. Figures they had to do the Compass with its impending release :angry:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
The Switchback is cool in a old school street rod way. The CJ66 is the star of the bunch, in my opinion. The Grand One- not bad but not what I'd expect of a concept, looks more like one of the concept builder's daily driver.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I assumed that the Grand One had some TJ or JK underpinnings when I saw it, similar to the vintage Mighty FC or the Willys Wagon. So now I'm disappointed that it's basically just a lifted ZJ with selectable lockers :shrug:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I assumed that the Grand One had some TJ or JK underpinnings when I saw it, similar to the vintage Mighty FC or the Willys Wagon. So now I'm disappointed that it's basically just a lifted ZJ with selectable lockers :shrug:

Exactly.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK

And a mild lift at that (probably just pucks). The bottom edge of the front axle looks like a ProRock though, but it's otherwise stock with adjustable control arms and a mild cosmetic makeover: fender trimming/flares, paint, stock-style reupholstered seats, and a new headliner. It still even has the NP249 (and probably the worse Gen I version as well). I wonder if they at least fixed the plenum (probably not), adjusted the bands, or put in a new viscous-coupler? Meh. I'd take it to at least strip the axles for my wife's 5.9L (but I do really like the HP 30 with the TrueTrac). Otherwise, I'd keep our 5.9L with the Iceland Offroad package any day over this one.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
The more I see of The Quicksand, the more I like it. There's still a bit of the early 60's Southern California hot-rodder in me.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/jeep-built-a-hot-rodded-wrangler-and-my-god-is-it-nuts-1793867359

I'm looking forward to seeing (and maybe hearing) it in about 10 days.

I really like it too. I am a hot rod fan as well. Would love to build a rat rod with lots of patina.

I also notice how it has the grill of the new JL that was recently leaked. I think one of the other concepts has the headlights that encroach the outer slats a little as well. I like that look.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO

I thought I had read the Grand One had an extended wheelbase with the axles moved fore and aft from original locations? It is very clean and subtle and probably why I love it. It is my favorite of all of them.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/jeep-resto-modded-a-90s-grand-cherokee-off-of-craigslis-1793831886

"Jeep gave this thing a 2" lift, and the longer wheelbase comes from moving the front axle 2" forward, the rear three inches back. Longer control arms get the job done, and shaving the body makes it all fit."

The Switchback has some interesting mods, ie. raised hard top in the rear and the lower door windows ala CJ whitco soft doors. I do like the solar panel top on the Luminator but question the practicality of the location given all the racks and cargo people like to put up there too. The Quicksand does nothing for me. It is neither Hot Rod or 4x4 and misses the mark for my taste. I feel like the rest can be found at any mall parking lot minus some one-off accessories. Meh.