• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

3500 rpm at 35 mpg??? Help!

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
City
Middleobro
State
MA
Bought a CJ8 recently it has 33” tires, 258 and T176. I just put it on the road and took it for the 1st ride this AM. Was screaming at 3500 rpm at 35 mpg in 4th. Is that normal? I have to check the diff gear Ratio but thought these had like 3.21 stock? Maybe the previous owner regeared? I most defiantly could not take this on the highway this way.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Edit - check to make sure you're not in 4wd low. THAT would put you at the rpms you're seeing at a more reasonable gearing - 3.73 probably.

muelleski

CJ-8 Member
City
Middleobro
State
MA
I didn’t check I will. Sure doesn’t “feel” like 4wd is engaged but now I hope it is. I will feel pretty dumb but releaved if it is.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I didn’t check I will. Sure doesn’t “feel” like 4wd is engaged but now I hope it is. I will feel pretty dumb but releaved if it is.

If your hubs aren't locked it wouldn't feel like a modern vehicle in 4wd, but the gearing would certainly yield exactly what you are seeing.

And don't feel dumb. There's a reason Dave and I thought to suggest it.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
any updates? How is it doing now that it is "Fixed"?:wave: