• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

4XE vs 392 Wrangler

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
What is everybody’s thoughts on the 392 and 4EX?

I have been seriously considering getting a 392. A couple months ago I called around to a few dealers, actually found one equipped like I want, but everybody wanted $15k over sticker for them. I know new cars are in a state of insanity (as is much of every other industry), but that was a hard pill to swallow.

I really like the idea of the 392, it just appeals to my insane speed side. But recently I have been thinking of the 4XE.

I am not new to hybrid vehicles, used to have a Camry Hybrid. It was one of the best cars I have ever owned, cost of ownership was crazy cheap. But when I owned it, my commute to work was 60 miles one way, 5 days a week. Miles really added up. Now my commute is between 22 and 24 miles depending on my route one way, 3 days a week (other 2 days I work from home, so no meaningful driving). As such, fuel consumption is NOT a concern (my wife works in big oil, so I am generally happy with higher gas prices).

That said, the 4XE has a few strong points. Same torque as the 392, but at a lower RPM. (Great for general driving and off-road). It is nearly silent when running full electric. That would be a great benefit while hunting as my eveperience on a Ranger EV and an electric golf cart is phenomenal. You can really get right up on wildlife before they notice you. Not possible in an ICE, especially a 392. Last, parking, most stores are installing EV only parking up front for charging. 90% of the time this is empty. With a 4XE I could utilize that as a convenience.

But, the 392 is 0-60 in 4.0 seconds. The 4XE is 5.5 seconds. That is significant. Price is a consideration, but only from a cost benefit analysis, not an affordability position. I love power and speed. My wife is considering buying an Audi SQ7, so if she does, that could be my speed fix car (3.6 seconds) if she ever lets me drive it. But she is hesitant due to Audi durability. (We have owned an Audi A4 before, loved it. It was our favorite “car” we have owned, but maintenance and general durability was poor.)

So, if those were the only 2 models of wrangler offered, which would you get and why?

If the gladiator was offered with those drivetrains, I would consider them, but I like the maneuverability of the wrangler. The gladiator just can’t replace my truck for trailer hauling. Just does not have the guts needed for my travel trailer, and my boat would be at its limits.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
0-60 in 5.5 for a Wrangler doesn't sound bad to me at all, not as good as 4.0 but still nice.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Our Land Cruiser is supposedly 6.5 seconds. I know our Tundra is slightly faster, guessing 6.3 seconds.

Guess I am missing the speed of our 01 Mustang Cobra (long gone, thank goodness), but the 4XE matches that at a rated 5.5 seconds.

When my wife test drove the SQ7, she gave it half throttle, and it was faster than anything I have driven. Just crazy fast.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I have the Eco Diesel and get 28 mpg… it sounds cool, great offroad and less than 392… the 392 has a lot of cool factor…
View attachment 98323
I see an EcoDiesel badge and my heart beats faster. SUCH a sweet rig. Shame there's no manual transmission option though.

I would have bought the EcoDiesel Gladiator straight away except I didn't fit in it.... so I bought the baby Duramax instead.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
This is my wife's 4xe Sahara.
We drove from north Georgia to central Florida ~1-1/2 months ago, haven't used a drop of gas since getting back here.
We are averaging 32.4 mpg since the start of the trip. The hybrid range (~26 miles) works perfectly for most of our daily use.

We ordered it from the dealer and got 6% under INVOICE plus $7500 tax credit.

4xe.jpg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I’m starting to lean towards the 4XE. There are rumors the tax rebate might be increased with the Build Back Better bill.

If I work hard enough on a 392 deal, best I could do is about 7.5% under msrp. I think 5% under invoice for a 4XE in addition to the tax credit is possible. Making the 4XE rubi cost less than a normal rubi.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I’m starting to lean towards the 4XE. There are rumors the tax rebate might be increased with the Build Back Better bill.
This is supposed to be the language in the proposed bill.

"As written, the 4xe would qualify for $8500 total ($4000 base, $4500 made in a US union factory). It would not qualify for the $3500 over 40 kwh/under 2.5 gallon or the $500 US made battery cells."

If I work hard enough on a 392 deal, best I could do is about 7.5% under msrp. I think 5% under invoice for a 4XE in addition to the tax credit is possible. Making the 4XE rubi cost less than a normal rubi.
I don't know the particulars on the Rubicon, but the 4xe Sahara has several additional features as standard equipment that are optional on the ICE Sahara.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
I had a 2018 Challenger 392 SRT. With traction control on and all other various safety items that heavy girl (4500lbs) would still easily break loose from a stand still or while rolling.

has anyone here driven a 392 Wrangler and got on it? How’d it react?

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
I had a 2018 Challenger 392 SRT. With traction control on and all other various safety items that heavy girl (4500lbs) would still easily break loose from a stand still or while rolling.

has anyone here driven a 392 Wrangler and got on it? How’d it react?
It holds well, that full time 4wd keeps the tires from breaking lose. That said, it pulls hard off the line, it’s an odd feeling being up that high and coming off the line like a challenger SRT.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
It holds well, that full time 4wd keeps the tires from breaking lose. That said, it pulls hard off the line, it’s an odd feeling being up that high and coming off the line like a challenger SRT.
Wasn’t even thinking of the all wheel drive. Makes sense.

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
Wasn’t even thinking of the all wheel drive. Makes sense.
A couple friends/clients of mine worked on the 392 program there at Jeep. They said it was an absolute blast developing and testing it, I offered to be an intern, but they declined 😂

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Well, I did a thing this weekend. (Technically, my loving wife did :love:)

Decided to get the 4xe. Tried to buy a Rubicon, but the dealer was crazy and wanted over MSRP. Ended up with a Sahara at 6% under invoice. Sky One Touch, Trailer Tow, Cold Weather, All Weather Mats. Would have liked a couple other options, but they are not available right now and I had to get dealer stock to get the color I really wanted. In the end, the Sahara will fit my 90% mall cruiser use case better than the Rubicon.

0F27B893-893C-4684-873F-07FBEEAC513C.jpeg

Only disappointment is I can’t get the tax credit due to Biden’s new rules. Sucks to not get the $7,500 but not enough to sway my decision to buy it.

xatu40

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Port Orange
State
FL
My better half has had a 4xe Sahara for the last year and absolutely loves it. Works well with her normal driving range. She buys a tank of gas every 4-6 weeks. I was a little worried about reliability, but it has been 100% trouble free. Its a lease, so have another two years to think about it, but she already wants to keep it.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
My better half has had a 4xe Sahara for the last year and absolutely loves it. Works well with her normal driving range. She buys a tank of gas every 4-6 weeks. I was a little worried about reliability, but it has been 100% trouble free. Its a lease, so have another two years to think about it, but she already wants to keep it.
I had a Camry Hybrid, bought in ‘07. I have no concerns over a Hybrid and I have never leased before, so we jumped in with both feet and bought this one. There is always a chance for problems, but I try my best to be a cup 1/2 full type of person. My drive to the office is 22 miles and we have charging stations. I hope to have enough range to not buy gas during the work commute.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Welcome to the club. My wife loves her Rubicon 4Xe. The sky one touch is perfect for her.

FYI I installed the Grizzl E fast charger in the garage. Very nice unit

FBC11D2A-A7F1-4562-8CB6-7C7C9B0356B3.jpeg

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Only disappointment is I can’t get the tax credit due to Biden’s new rules. Sucks to not get the $7,500 but not enough to sway my decision to buy it.
I believe your dealer is not up on the latest IRA rule changes.
Because the bill had so many requirements for final build, battery content supplier, etc. the requirements were put on hold until 3/23(?) until they could work out exactly how to make the determinations and which vehicles were eligible.

There are several owners on the 4xe Forum that have had the same problem with dealers knowledge of the rules. Basically one difference is that the dealer needs to provide you with paperwork on the vehicle meeting the requirements AND they are required to notify the IRS.

There are several owners that have posted the forms they received from the dealers, there are more that were told it is no longer available.

Here's a link to one of the IRS pages.
It has additional links to show the 4xe is on the eligibility list (look under Stellantis)

Good luck and enjoy. :thumbsup:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I believe your dealer is not up on the latest IRA rule changes.
Because the bill had so many requirements for final build, battery content supplier, etc...
I thoroughly read the revisions, just to be clear, the 4xe still qualifies. Hopefully the final determination in march changes some things to allow me to use the credit, but I doubt it.

Still stoked!!