• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

82 UK Spec Laredo Scrambler Build No 2

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
So if i buy something like one of these then i can ditch the oil cooler lines and remote filter that i shouldn't need as i live in a mild climate and will not be towing with it?

View attachment 86426
I used something similar on my now sold tan Scrambler that had a TBI 350, so late 80's early 90,s vintage 350 block. I used one of those to get rid of the factory oil cooler line connections at the OEM oil filter adapter thing. Never had an issue.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
That looks like the correct one for a small
Block Chev, which is the same as a 4.3.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Thanks that looks even easier!.
i need to get to the work shop and have a proper look, make sure there is nothing else Chevrolet thought they would change on the RHD Blazers to stop me screwing something like that in.

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
I have ordered the little adapter thingy going to take 2 weeks to land though!.

Found a nice aluminium radiator on Ebay, Chinese manufacturer but for what it cost i will take the gamble as feedback was good and quality looks okay may be a different story with pressurised hot water in it time will tell.
Just seeing how much clearance there was going to be but need to get the fan back on really unless i go ellectric.
Should be okay either way and plenty of room for a transmission cooler in front of the radiator unless i use the built in one that is in the radiator, decisions decisions!

20200829_115813_resized.jpg

20200829_110137_resized.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Need to order a transmission cooler and waiting on other parts so started trial fitting exhaust whilst i had a few hours spare.
Should all fit nicely. Hoping to bring the 2 pipes in to a Y piece and then in to the silencer neither of which i have bought yet so more unfinished bits...

20200830_121052_resized.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Busy day on the 8 today, got the exhaust bits i have finished off and dropped off for welding properly (by a welder not me!)
Fuel lines thrown in now i know i have plenty of room, for them.
I cut the plastic quick release pipes from the GM factory ones at the back of the auto box and was surprised to find they are essentially heat shrunk on to the aluminum.and here was me worrying about a hose clamp holding the pressure.
Will need shielding where it crosses the exhaust and a bit of tidying up but will need to come out again when i get the exhaust bits back in there anyway.

20200831_124352_resized.jpg20200831_124358_resized.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Also had time on the engines nose end to fit a new water pump along with a serpentine belt, pulley and tensioner kit.
Wrong serpentine belt in the kit for this engine in the kit (it was a bit short and a different number) so the old one has gone back on for a while until i source a new one.

20200831_124524_resized.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Not a lot to report still waiting on parts and now also a welder with his TIG set to do the first parts of the exhaust.
So i installed the EGR pipe and also treated the rocker covers to a clean and some new seals.
If nothing else it will also help to remind me what engine this is just in case i forget :)

20200904_173422_resized.jpg,

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
I got a shiny silencer and i got a not as shiny tail pipe, need to chase the welder up now so i can get the thing positioned properly and make some brackets as i dont expect the tie wraps holding it in place at the moment to work for very long once its running......

20200905_095923_resized.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Also turns out RHD Blazer power steering hoses fit snugly in to Jeep steering boxes , steering box is a RHD XJ one a bit more common than CJ ones and this Jeep had manual steering originally which just sounds like hard work to me.
20200910_201602_resized.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
What kind of beer are we drinking?.... and bonus question... how many did it turn out to be .... after... you got into the harness?

cb

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
What kind of beer are we drinking?.... and bonus question... how many did it turn out to be .... after... you got into the harness?

cb
Ah its San Miguel and i only needed the one pint for this part of the harness,.
i am just very glad i found some proper 1999 GM workshop manuals on UK Ebay for a bargain price, they aren't a 100% representation of whets there as it was a RHD Blazer but appear mostly correct and will save on San Miguel costs thats for sure.

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
So thought i had better get it installed, Had to bend the arm a little to get it away from the fuel pipes but other than that it all went together fine.
Seems a bit stiff getting out of park, not sure if thats down to the push button system, the angle the rods at,,a 4L60e thing or its simply just because i am not sat down and have nothing to lever against.
Will worry about that later, same with the D300 shifter which i suspect is bent way too far back and will need warming up and tweaking at some point.

20201003_131522_resized.jpg