• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

82 UK Spec Laredo Scrambler Build No 2

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
And on a morning where everything happened my exhaust came back from welding so thats now sat in place too!, just needs that exhaust paste thats in the photo and clamping up fully to get it awy from the transfer case and that should be done too!.

20201003_135653_resized.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
After many hours of fine tuning Lokar shifters, I found that having the lever on the shifter between 4:00 and 5:00 makes the shifting a lot smoother. And if getting the gear position adjusted perfectly for each gear is giving you fits, the Lokar adjustable arm makes all the difference in the world. I’ll post a pic of my last shifter install on Red- granted it’s a Lokar knock-off on a 4l80e, but you can see the angles.

I also upgraded to 5/16 rod ends and rod. Stiffened it up nicely.

F56620BF-A28B-4095-BFA9-0C015D8DE218.jpeg

And yes, I did end up replacing it with a Winters shifter.

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
After many hours of fine tuning Lokar shifters, I found that having the lever on the shifter between 4:00 and 5:00 makes the shifting a lot smoother. And if getting the gear position adjusted perfectly for each gear is giving you fits, the Lokar adjustable arm makes all the difference in the world. I’ll post a pic of my last shifter install on Red- granted it’s a Lokar knock-off on a 4l80e, but you can see the angles.

I also upgraded to 5/16 rod ends and rod. Stiffened it up nicely.

And yes, I did end up replacing it with a Winters shifter.

No issues with gear selection It does all select okay and selects every gear fine just seems a bit stiff, maybe its just newness :)
I looked up the Winters when you mentioned it in your build but i wanted something that looked more retro something only a Jeep owner would know is not original and i have no real need to shift gear quickly i am getting too lazy for that anyway hence the auto.....
But I can see why the push button thing annoyed you now that i have one, sure i will get used to it as this will be a road going toy so shouldnt need much in the way of manual input anyway.

Dont know what you did but i totally ignored the instructions about setting up the neutral switch, found it far easier just to get a multimeter and adjust the switch using that to tell you when its on and off seemed hard work to do it the way Lokar wanted.

I do need to have a final play but also need to sit the body back on to see where it all actually lands as it may need moving yet and i can then maybe fit a larger rod then as that does seem a good idea, 5/16 will be about 8mm in my money which would make more sense.

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
And in other news the Borgeson shaft which i wont need for anything between 6 months and 6 years depending on progress got built up and then a degrease and a coat of paint just to save me doing it whenever i do actually need it...

20201003_203709_resized.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
No issues with gear selection It does all select okay and selects every gear fine just seems a bit stiff, maybe its just newness :)
I looked up the Winters when you mentioned it in your build but i wanted something that looked more retro something only a Jeep owner would know is not original and i have no real need to shift gear quickly i am getting too lazy for that anyway hence the auto.....
But I can see why the push button thing annoyed you now that i have one, sure i will get used to it as this will be a road going toy so shouldnt need much in the way of manual input anyway.

Dont know what you did but i totally ignored the instructions about setting up the neutral switch, found it far easier just to get a multimeter and adjust the switch using that to tell you when its on and off seemed hard work to do it the way Lokar wanted.

I do need to have a final play but also need to sit the body back on to see where it all actually lands as it may need moving yet and i can then maybe fit a larger rod then as that does seem a good idea, 5/16 will be about 8mm in my money which would make more sense.

Lokar does make a shift knob adapter so you push down the whole knob instead of a button.

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Well to find out what horrors were lurking under the paint i sent the bodytub to be slow cooked, lightly blasted and a bit of weld through primer thrown on top.
As expected it now looks like i have a ton of work ahead of me!.

20201006_085742_resized.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
I see a relationship with Classic Enterprises developing in your future :)

cb

Maybe now Lamonte has sold up as he really,really,really didn't want to know last time around that i wanted panels.
No idea why either its the same packaging required for Fed-Ex to send it 2 miles as it is for 2500 miles,
Yeah it may well be 8 years ago now, but i haven't forgotten about it yet! :D

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Another weekend night so must be time for another lager/wiring loom session.
Not a great deal to remove really mainly the transfer case plugs and the air con bits that i wont be needing but will be a lot neater for it.

20201017_204811_resized.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Mid week wiring this time, everything is tagged and i just need to organise a relay and fusebox for this lot and it can get sat in place.
Thinking a seperate fuse box and relays purely for the GM stuff sat in the engine bay and keep the AMC stuff as it was originally as much as possible.
New cables are for the 4wd switch and handbrake switch so i dont need to run another completely seperate loom down there like AMC did originally plus a spare or two just in case!..
Just need to try and install it back from where it came from which could be fun!.

20201020_192304_resized.jpg
20201020_192306_resized.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
You and I were doing the same thing this week. I decided to run a separate fuse/relay center under the hood to handle the engine controls and also the headlamp relays. Most new vehicles have dual fuse panels already.

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Loom is back in and as i am giddy to make sure this thing will run and has no issues before i start on body work i have created a Frankenstein style wiring system to hopefully temporarily fire it up.
Just the one major important ingredient missing which is the fuel and as all my Jerry cans are at home and Jeep is at workshop it will annoyingly have to wait for another day. :(

20201031_133518_resized.jpg

Dave The Sparky

City
Halifax
State
UK
Wow Its been a while since i posted on here. but today i received an early present, Santa has another 2 parcels on the way as well wasnt expecting any of this until after the New Year.

20201221_182832_resized.jpg