• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

83 converted into a brush fire truck, seeking estimates on value and interest

jlg1875

City
Wesley Chapel
State
FL
Hi Everyone,

I currently own and am familiar with CJ5s and CJ6s, and am looking for some insight on what the members of this forum think the value and interest would be in an ‘83 Scrambler that was converted into a fire engine for fighting brush fires. Has 17,500 original miles, 258 6 cyl, 4 sp manual. Not sure if collectors/enthusiasts would be more or less interested in a modified vehicle. The FD selling it is the original owner, and they’re looking to get between $25-$30K for it. It has some minor rust but otherwise no other body issues (that were mentioned to me). As the owner of two Jeeps modified into brush fire trucks I personally think, especially in this economy, that is asking a lot of money, and I think the price is about $10K too high. However, I have no experience with Scramblers so I might be way off, so I’m here to get educated. Any insight or information would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 6B848960-2542-45CF-8917-D6F0AA8DFD66.jpeg
    6B848960-2542-45CF-8917-D6F0AA8DFD66.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
More pictures would be helpful to see what kind of modifications/holes have been drilled into the body. Looks clean but the picture is not much to go on.

I am guessing you blurred out the fire company name to prevent somebody from swooping in and buying it before you can figure out what it may be worth.

Last edited:

jlg1875

City
Wesley Chapel
State
FL
More pictures would be helpful to see what kind of modifications/holes have been drilled into the body. Looks clean but the picture is not much to go on.

I am guessing you blurred out the fire company name to prevent somebody from swooping in and buying it before you can figure out what it may be worth.
I’ll post a few more that were sent to me, and yes the name is blurred for that exact reason ?

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Wonder if this has been off and on the market recently. Not the first brush truck we've seen, seems like there was one posted within the past year?

jlg1875

City
Wesley Chapel
State
FL
Additional photos

Attachments

• 9F190A44-C378-48F0-90ED-121C01FC99B3.jpeg
    9F190A44-C378-48F0-90ED-121C01FC99B3.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 3D31A954-9948-4075-B879-F6396A429BD5.jpeg
    3D31A954-9948-4075-B879-F6396A429BD5.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 174FB99C-60CD-4A2B-A483-EBA57BDBA76F.jpeg
    174FB99C-60CD-4A2B-A483-EBA57BDBA76F.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 72
  • D7BE6AF0-F033-4151-B75D-EFD662D95DE7.jpeg
    D7BE6AF0-F033-4151-B75D-EFD662D95DE7.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 03210619-664A-4F8E-82C2-ECC56A817CFB.jpeg
    03210619-664A-4F8E-82C2-ECC56A817CFB.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 73

jlg1875

City
Wesley Chapel
State
FL
Wonder if this has been off and on the market recently. Not the first brush truck we've seen, seems like there was one posted within the past year?
This was just taken out of active service the end of June, and hasn’t been officially listed for sale yet, the Chief is deciding how best to do that currently.

Last edited:

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Try a search, I'm sure we've seen comparable listings, at least one fairly recent, that might help you get an idea of asking price.

Are you at all interested in the fire equipment? For some buyers that has a sort of provenance that might make it worth more. I would keep that stuff in storage if you purchase, either way.

jlg1875

City
Wesley Chapel
State
FL
Try a search, I'm sure we've seen comparable listings, at least one fairly recent, that might help you get an idea of asking price.

Are you at all interested in the fire equipment? For some buyers that has a sort of provenance that might make it worth more. I would keep that stuff in storage if you purchase, either way.

I did a search prior to my post, and there was one post with a link to a brush truck in Illinois for sale earlier in the year by sealed bid. There was no update with a mention of the final selling price. I’m a former volunteer firefighter and my interest in it is because of the fire equipment, and it would stay as is if I were to buy it. I’m just curious if Scrambler enthusiasts would be more interested, and therefore more willing, to pay a premium for one that’s been extensively modified like this one has, or for one that’s closer to original. I know it’s got the low mileage going for it (as almost all fire apparatus does), but can’t imagine that would have it command what to me seems like a very high asking price. Hagerty’s online valuation of a stock one in excellent condition is at $24K, and this is not at that level for sure

Last edited:

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I did a search prior to my post, and there was one post with a link to a brush truck in Illinois for sale earlier in the year by sealed bid. There was no update with a mention of the final selling price. I’m a former volunteer firefighter and my interest in it is because of the fire equipment, and it would stay as is if I were to buy it. I’m just curious if Scrambler enthusiasts would be more interested, and therefore more willing, to pay a premium for one that’s been extensively modified like this one has, or for one that’s closer to original. I know it’s got the low mileage going for it (as almost all fire apparatus does), but can’t imagine that would have it command what to me seems like a very high asking price. Hagerty’s online valuation of a stock one in excellent condition is at $24K, and this is not at that level for sure
Lots of things in this market get talked up and have inflated demand, often because they're rare. Even the simplest of things like original mud flaps and one particular line of floor mats. I remember even 10yrs ago stock radios being worth their weight in gold. Now, you can't find a working one and they still go for $100+.

It's a heavily modified Scrambler, but the provenance is going to drive the price up a little. I wouldn't pay that much for it, but it's also a personal decision. You have to ask yourself what you'd be willing to pay, and if it sold for $5k more would you be kicking yourself for not going up a little.

@Polarfire is another firefighter on the forum, but I haven't seen him around in a while. Hope he's doing OK. He'd be a good person to talk to, because I know he's followed these sales in the past.

jlg1875

City
Wesley Chapel
State
FL
Lots of things in this market get talked up and have inflated demand, often because they're rare. Even the simplest of things like original mud flaps and one particular line of floor mats. I remember even 10yrs ago stock radios being worth their weight in gold. Now, you can't find a working one and they still go for $100+.

It's a heavily modified Scrambler, but the provenance is going to drive the price up a little. I wouldn't pay that much for it, but it's also a personal decision. You have to ask yourself what you'd be willing to pay, and if it sold for $5k more would you be kicking yourself for not going up a little.

@Polarfire is another firefighter on the forum, but I haven't seen him around in a while. Hope he's doing OK. He'd be a good person to talk to, because I know he's followed these sales in the past.

I guess that’s my question to you guys as Scrambler enthusiasts, as you said stock flaps, mats and radios can drive the prices up, so would something that’s obviously had many mods take away from its value? Especially seeing it also having “battle scars” (and I haven’t seen any photos yet of the undercarriage)?

walkerhoundvm

Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I see these in a separate class from traditional Scramblers, so they're hard to compare. Because of their specific history and modifications, they be worth more to a smaller group of buyers.

They'll be a little like the Alaskan Postals in that regard. Could be a complete rusted out piece of junk, but the history and modifications make them more valuable to a smaller group of people.

How much more value depends on the mods, the market, and the number of people interested. My guess is that these specifically don't add up to much all things considered. I'd say $20k max provided the frame is in good condition and it's a reliable runner?

jlg1875

City
Wesley Chapel
State
FL
I see these in a separate class from traditional Scramblers, so they're hard to compare. Because of their specific history and modifications, they be worth more to a smaller group of buyers.

They'll be a little like the Alaskan Postals in that regard. Could be a complete rusted out piece of junk, but the history and modifications make them more valuable to a smaller group of people.

How much more value depends on the mods, the market, and the number of people interested. My guess is that these specifically don't add up to much all things considered. I'd say $20k max provided the frame is in good condition and it's a reliable runner?

Thanks! I come to this from the fire truck collector world, where guys typically spend between $5-$10K and are notoriously “frugal.” For a fire truck collector to pony up $20K it has to be really special and a Jeep, even a nice one, isn’t what they’d be spending that on. I think the Chief believes he will get a Jeep collector with deep pockets to spend that amount.
The FD is made up of 2 fire companies that merged several years ago, and a local auctioneer who wanted to auction the excess equipment they had last year told the Chief he would get him at least $25-$30K, which is where the numbers he gave me are obviously coming from. That was also pre Coronavirus, and i don’t think that the Chief fully appreciates the drastic change that the current economy has undergone

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Best thing the chief can do is auction it off. That way the market will drive the price.

I think factory rare options, versions, and items bring the most $$$, but the Americana floor mats defy that logic.

For most of us, the scrambler is worth a nice well maintained scrambler, and not more because of the fire equipment. But there are a few collectors that like uniquely used jeeps.

As a comparison, a local used Jeep dealer has had this on their lot for a while: 1981 Scrambler The price must be too high as it has not sold.

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
I see 12-15k. Rusty and tons of modifications. 25-30k will never happen. I get it has some novelty to it but it’s not worth more than a nice original without modifications.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
Comtact Jambo on this sight. He and I unknowingly were bidding against each other. I backed out, his is extremely nice.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
To me they are really cool, but that being said are pretty much a novelty item unless you plan on using it or putting it in some type of museum. The upkeep of something that age would be some work. Sure it would be cool to drive it to Jeep shows or the Friday night car show, but just driving around after awhile it would just sit most of the time. If you have time & money to enjoy it, Go For It ! More power to you.