• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Aftermarket or NOS?

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
Russllville
State
TN
I've had these for several years. Was told that they were NOS when I bought them, just trying to verify. Thanks0413201348b.jpg0413201349.jpg0413201349.jpg

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
That circle around the 81 looks like a date code - produced in 81, although I can't make out the rest. It would be way overboard for someone to try to replicate that sort of info.

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Those do look like the AMC-made versions. They are more rubbery and less stiff than the Mopar made ones that were just discontinued. A ton of those NOS AMC versions with the frame cutouts were found by Jersey and others and have been sold into the community.

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
Russllville
State
TN
I've also got a few more parts I would like to verify when I get them dug out and pics taken. One thing I have A " Runuck Style" bumper but it does not have the "R" on top of the posts, it looks very well made and heavy duty. I don't know much about them, I had heard that the "R" was the tell tale sign that it was A Runuck but could it possibly be without it?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Yes those are the flexible NOS ones with tow hook cut outs....if you go back to the road tripping thread when I bought the J-20 Wrecker, I hauled over 200 of them back east...found a whole pallet of them loose...they are ALL gone now. its very possible these 3 came from that haul.

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
Russllville
State
TN
I was walking thru the cars at the Rod Run in Pigeon Forge several years ago and spotted a really nice CJ, stopped and talked to the guy. He had just a few parts with him, I bought them from him. May have passed thru your hands before that. Thankful to get them.
I also have a windshield frame and CJ 7 hatch that are suppose to be NOS. When I dig them out I will post pics, like to know for sure if they are truly NOS. Have some other stuff too but those were the ones I was really concerned about.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Yes those are the flexible NOS ones with tow hook cut outs....if you go back to the road tripping thread when I bought the J-20 Wrecker, I hauled over 200 of them back east...found a whole pallet of them loose...they are ALL gone now. its very possible these 3 came from that haul.
200! Holy s#@t! Where did you find those?

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I've also got a few more parts I would like to verify when I get them dug out and pics taken. One thing I have A " Runuck Style" bumper but it does not have the "R" on top of the posts, it looks very well made and heavy duty. I don't know much about them, I had heard that the "R" was the tell tale sign that it was A Runuck but could it possibly be without it?

There are a lot of knockoff Runck bumpers, rub rails, consoles and roll cages. Few if any matched Fritz's quality. If it doesnt have his "R" on the aluminum cap, it's not a Runck. The only way ro get a replacement cap is for Doug to personally verify it genuine.

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
Russllville
State
TN
There are a lot of knockoff Runck bumpers, rub rails, consoles and roll cages. Few if any matched Fritz's quality. If it doesnt have his "R" on the aluminum cap, it's not a Runck. The only way ro get a replacement cap is for Doug to personally verify it genuine.
Ok thanks, just curious if it was the real deal. I kinda like it, not sure what I will put it on but maybe I just hadn't bought the Jeep for it yet.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Don't forget the Beverly Hills women and their stretch pants. Like stuffing a 4 lb sausage into a 2 lb skin !