• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Bedliner yes or no

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
My original plan (years ago) included bedliner for the cab and bed areas. I have read where some people argue against this (it traps moisture promoting rust, can be difficult to remove, etc). I was thinking of removing everything (roll bar, seats, console, bulkhead) and having it all sand blasted, then coating the tub and bulkhead with Master Series Mastercoat (3 coats), then having the tub exterior painted, then either using Raptor at home OR (more likely) having it all coated with Line-X. I would then reassemble the bulkhead and roll bar sealing them with RTV.

I plan on using this rig. I have stuff to haul and don't want to constantly worry about bed scratches rusting. I will be driving it daily (even in the winter) and want to limit rust exposure as much as possible. What's the general consensus regarding bed protection???

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
The only way to do it correctly on a metal body in my eyes is to have the bed handled like a body work job. Remove all the rust, prep the steel, epoxy prime then spray the bed liner. Any other method and you risk corrosion.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
The only way to do it correctly on a metal body in my eyes is to have the bed handled like a body work job. Remove all the rust, prep the steel, epoxy prime then spray the bed liner. Any other method and you risk corrosion.

Agree 100%.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I third it. Epoxy is a very strong barrier. Even if bed liner lifts epoxy will protect the metal and it also bonds very well to sandblasted metal.

Doc Savage

Basic User
City
Greenville
State
TX
After the experience with mine, I'd steer WAY clear of any bedliner. It was already done when I got it so I can't speak as to how it was done. It was painted body color under it I know. It was on thick too, but even with the thickness, if you held a piece that was peeled off up to the sky, there were pinholes everywhere. It was NOT a barrier to moisture. The bed started lifting at a corner of the tailgate opening, and as I stripped it out, it was rusted out almost all the way up the bed, and there was even standing water under it days after the last rain. Some spots on the sides of the tub and around the belt rail did stick to the paint so good it pulled the paint off the primer, but the bed where water could sit was aweful. The driver's floorpan even rusted out from under the liner and there was a hole in the floor I didn't know about as the liner stayed there. Nope not something I will ever do to a vehicle.

Robert

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100_4273-1.jpg

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450307039.689252.jpg

SOMETIMES!!!

Mine doesn't get wet other than 4 washes a year.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
If you ever have to scrape that crap out of a bed you would never even think of putting it on in the first place. Beside, when I see a restored car with bed liner or undercoating I wonder what the owner is trying to hide. With paint, you get what you see.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
If you ever have to scrape that crap out of a bed you would never even think of putting it on in the first place. Beside, when I see a restored car with bed liner or undercoating I wonder what the owner is trying to hide. With paint, you get what you see.

I agree for general consumption. I made sure to take pictures beforehand. Of course, who knows what's lurking under there :shrug:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Looking at the condition of the paint and the metal (dents and abuse) I wouldn't be surprised that the liner didn't hold up. Imagine what it would look like without the liner. Any coating will fail in not put on correctly of if abused over time. Don't blame the bed liner if not put on a properly prepared surface or if it was excessively used. Looks like the floor and tailgate was used . If the liner not prepped properly (that's why I used the epoxy) and it's torn up it will let water under it.

zero2wow

SOA old xprez...
Lifetime Member
City
Vancouver
State
WA
I lay a pond liner in z2w's bed. Not only protects the bed but can easily be removed and helps big time from stuff sliding/moving around. Truckers sometimes will use a rubber like mat under pallets to help keep them from sliding around. They often have extras that they will give you.
z :ZZZ:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
My vote is no for bed liner and also pond liner is a really good idea zero!

zero2wow

SOA old xprez...
Lifetime Member
City
Vancouver
State
WA
My vote is no for bed liner and also pond liner is a really good idea zero!
I forgot to vote....
I agree with jerseyj "My vote is no for bed liner"
I do agree with the consensus of painting it correctly.... then with hauling stuff, pond liner/ rubber matting. btw :twocents:when cutting it; I have one that fits the floorbed coming up a few inches on the wheel wells. The other is cut so it comes higher on all sides.

z

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
So, those who vote no, how do you protect your bed when you use it? I don't have a garage...so the Jeep will "live" outside. I will somewhat frequently use it to haul stuff for work and/or personal (firewood, tools, equipment, etc). I have been told that rubber floor mats will trap moisture and promote rust. I had a tonneau cover when I originally bought the rig...and the bed was still full of water from working its way around the roll bar.

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
Oh, and what about in the cab area? I originally wanted to use it instead of carpet (carpet gets wet too easily and never fully dries out).

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
So, those who vote no, how do you protect your bed when you use it? I don't have a garage...so the Jeep will "live" outside. I will somewhat frequently use it to haul stuff for work and/or personal (firewood, tools, equipment, etc). I have been told that rubber floor mats will trap moisture and promote rust. I had a tonneau cover when I originally bought the rig...and the bed was still full of water from working its way around the roll bar.
Full hard top,full soft top, rain gear cover, auto tent, .. i use all of the above as i didnt build a garage yet...

Sent from my SM-N910P

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS

Oh, and what about in the cab area? I originally wanted to use it instead of carpet (carpet gets wet too easily and never fully dries out).

I use "big rig" rubber mud flaps, bought at NAPA, to protect the bed floor when I am hauling stuff. Three of them work/fit perfect. The third one goes halfway up the bulkhead to help protect it, too. They measure roughly 24"x 36".

As for outside storage, I use a $130 Harbor Freight car canopy thing, Scrambler fits underneath it perfect.

In the cab, I use the factory carpet. If it gets wet, it simply pulls right out. It dries out in a day or so, and greatly cuts down on heat/noise:twocents: