• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Best battery

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I have been using Deka batteres from about 2004 and the first one failed at 10 years. I had a pair of Group 27 AGM that went 10 years in my camper. I have had only one that went less than 6 years. I buy from a small local shop so they are more expensive than the parts store but I like the batteries. He does commercial service work for companies and that's all he uses.

As I understand it, EastPenn is one of the last quality battery manufacturers. Johnson Controls bought a bunch of the others and killed the quality of them reducing the lead content to marginal amounts. That is what made optima so bad when they started as a very good spiral wound sealed matt battery.

If you want to dive deep into lead acid batteries, head over to buggiesgonewild. It is a forum dedicated to all kinds of golf cars.

(In all fairness, I have a personal axe to grind against Johnson Controls due to past experience with their Building Automation Controls and HVAC equipment, their systems just never work correctly, ever! So, I highly suggest searching other’s experience with good batteries after JCI acquired the brand. I think there is a corporate failure at the top that is trickling down to all divisions.)

Last edited:

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Walmart batteries are cheap made, some have good luck some don't. I was told by somebody in the know that they told a manufacturer what they where willing to pay. The company said ok but had to drop quality big time. Walmart pays so little for them if they have to replace them, they are still ahead of the game. True or not, I don't know, the guy had no reason to lie to me.
Deka/ East Penn batteries are good, they make them 1 hour from me, unfortunately there factory blems store (cosmetic only)has hours that doesn't allow me to take advantage of them.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I'd heard rumor (no evidence if true) that Odyssey was a JCI product?

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
According to their website, they are owned by EnerSYS energy products out of Pennsylvania. At least they are still American owned for now.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR

Optima was bought out by JC, who ran them into the ground. Odyssey is still good stuff.