• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Best battery

I have been using Deka batteres from about 2004 and the first one failed at 10 years. I had a pair of Group 27 AGM that went 10 years in my camper. I have had only one that went less than 6 years. I buy from a small local shop so they are more expensive than the parts store but I like the batteries. He does commercial service work for companies and that's all he uses.

As I understand it, EastPenn is one of the last quality battery manufacturers. Johnson Controls bought a bunch of the others and killed the quality of them reducing the lead content to marginal amounts. That is what made optima so bad when they started as a very good spiral wound sealed matt battery.

If you want to dive deep into lead acid batteries, head over to buggiesgonewild. It is a forum dedicated to all kinds of golf cars.

(In all fairness, I have a personal axe to grind against Johnson Controls due to past experience with their Building Automation Controls and HVAC equipment, their systems just never work correctly, ever! So, I highly suggest searching other’s experience with good batteries after JCI acquired the brand. I think there is a corporate failure at the top that is trickling down to all divisions.)
 
Last edited:
Walmart batteries are cheap made, some have good luck some don't. I was told by somebody in the know that they told a manufacturer what they where willing to pay. The company said ok but had to drop quality big time. Walmart pays so little for them if they have to replace them, they are still ahead of the game. True or not, I don't know, the guy had no reason to lie to me.
Deka/ East Penn batteries are good, they make them 1 hour from me, unfortunately there factory blems store (cosmetic only)has hours that doesn't allow me to take advantage of them.
 
I'd heard rumor (no evidence if true) that Odyssey was a JCI product?
 
I'd heard rumor (no evidence if true) that Odyssey was a JCI product?
According to their website, they are owned by EnerSYS energy products out of Pennsylvania. At least they are still American owned for now.
 
I'd heard rumor (no evidence if true) that Odyssey was a JCI product?

Optima was bought out by JC, who ran them into the ground. Odyssey is still good stuff.
 
As I understand it, EastPenn is one of the last quality battery manufacturers. 36v trolling motor battery is also something I’ve been researching lately, and Johnson Controls bought a bunch of the others and killed the quality of them, reducing the lead content to marginal amounts. That is what made Optima so bad when they started as a very good spiral-wound sealed mat battery.

If you want to dive deep into lead acid batteries, head over to buggiesgonewild. It is a forum dedicated to all kinds of golf cars.

(In all fairness, I have a personal axe to grind against Johnson Controls due to past experience with their Building Automation Controls and HVAC equipment, their systems just never work correctly, ever! So, I highly suggest searching other’s experience with good batteries after JCI acquired the brand. I think there is a corporate failure at the top that is trickling down to all divisions.)
For a Straight 6 Scrambler, I’d look for a good-quality AGM battery with the correct physical dimensions, terminal layout, and cold-cranking rating rather than simply buying the cheapest option. A reputable AGM should give you good starting performance and durability without paying a premium for unnecessary features. Check the manufacturer’s recommended battery specification first, then compare prices from a few established brands.
 
Has anyone tried the Duracell branded AGM battery from Sam’s Club? Seems to be a reasonable price at $199.IMG_0451.png
 
Has anyone tried the Duracell branded AGM battery from Sam’s Club? Seems to be a reasonable price at $199.


We have a couple of the Duracell AGM Automotive Battery, Group Size 34/78.
Have not had them long enough to give much insight.
1790612653560.png
 
I know I am going against the grain here using Optima AGM batteries. I have run them in my Scrambler, wife's YJ, Daughters TJ and my PowerStroke F-350 for many years and have not had any early failures. Personally, if I get 5 or more years out of a battery, I'm happy.

1790971372964.png
The current two in my Scrambler are Yellow-Tops and are going on 4-years old. The second "house" battery has tons of accessories wired to it including my Dometic Refrigerator plug, lights, nine (9) USB outlets in the dash, console and back fender etc. It's charged separately by the Redarc DC to DC controller (BCDC1225D). That battery gets HAMMERED on trips. When we're camped it powers the fridge and some lights as needed. I've seen it go down to 11.4V and the Redarc charges it back fully during the next days drive.

If I'm camped more than two-days, I have two 100-watt foldable solar panels that I can plug into my Redarc controller and keep the house battery charged and not have to start the Scramblers engine.

I think charging is key to these. A good AGM aware charger is needed. If you dump it too low, a regular charger will NOT get it back to regular voltage. The AGM charger will.

Previous to these two Yellow Tops, I ran two Red Tops for years. When I rebuilt my Scrambler, I think they were nine years old.

My 1999 F350 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel has two Yellow Tops as well. One in there right now is 10 years old and the other I replaced two years ago when it died at 8-years old. That truck takes a lot to crank. I've been in snow conditions camping and started it at 15 degrees without issue.

My wife's 1995 wrangler had a red top that was six years old when we sold the Jeep.

My daughter's 1999 TJ had a red top that was at least 7 years old when we sold it.

I also ran two Yellow tops in parallel in my Lance Camper for years. It was the most Ah I could get into that compartment. More than any single battery.

1790971843240.png


Having said all that, I am on the lookout for a Lithium battery that will replace my "House" yellow top that has significantly more Ah. The Yellow-top has a 55 Ah capacity. Some of the new lithium batteries have 100 to 135 Ah. The challenge is they aren't great in a hot engine compartment yet. And are expensive.

There you go. That's my experience with Optima. :)
 
Having said all that, I am on the lookout for a Lithium battery that will replace my "House" yellow top that has significantly more Ah. The Yellow-top has a 55 Ah capacity. Some of the new lithium batteries have 100 to 135 Ah. The challenge is they aren't great in a hot engine compartment yet. And are expensive.
I believe your Redarc will charge lithium as well so that would be good.
One thing about Lithium batteries is they have a somewhat narrow charge/discharge temp range so you'll want to be sure it doesn't get too cold as well.
I know they make heating pads etc. for them and I believe some have internal temp control.
I looked into this a little when I got a lithium for my 48v golf cart, (best decision ever)

You could just add another battery for your house power, what's a few more pounds. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
 
I have a NOS yellow top Optima from last century. Think it will take a charge and work?:oops:
 
Back
Top